1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hakeem ranked lower than Shaq,Wilt, Russell and Kareem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, May 30, 2014.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Malone was an excellent defender. While he was not a shot blocker, he got plenty of swipes at the waist level. In fact, he was one of the best big men I have seen at this. He was also an excellent post defender He was strong and held his position very well.

Barkley, when he was in Houston, could not move Malone.

Tim Duncan in his prime had a tough time against an over the hill Karl Malone (Lakers series).

2. dream_team

dream_team Member

Hey, my exact lineup as well! You need chemistry and balance. You got post up players, penetrators, and great shooters. And when having a super star lineup like this, you want great passers.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Lin
    Lin
    Lin
    Lin
    Olauwon $1

A $1 team that could take out any historical nba team.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think they need to take some of the centers out of the PF slot and add some all-time rebounders.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Whoever made up the prices can go die a horrible death.

6. SK34

SK34 Member

Hakeem ($1)
    Duncan ($3)
    KD ($2)
    MJ ($5)
    Isiah ($2)

This team against any would kill.

7. SK34

SK34 Member

Bill russell is 6'9, he won't stand a chance against the other centers in their prime. Sorry.

8. dream2franchise

I believe Hakeem is the best, but I realise there's no real way to quantify this once you factor in the different eras and the level of competition across them. Really, for me it all comes down to what you want in your center and what you're putting around him.

When I looked at these options and started building my team I went straight to the center position because that's how I would build it. Others likely would have gone straight for MJ or straight to Magic. Just an assumption. These guard picks likely determine the type of big man you're going for. You might want Russell as your defensive anchor if you've got MJ as your two-guard, or Shaq or Wilt as finishers if Magic is running the point. There's simply no wrong answer here.

If I'm choosing a center though, and you're factoring in defending the other four on the list then you'll find yourself asking these questions:

Who can I rely on to get a bucket consistently in the post?

Who can I rely on to draw out their defender, forcing him to defend a legitimate 18ft jump shot?

Who can I rely on be able to provide elite rim protection and rebounding?

Who can I rely on to be able to defend multiple positions, should the need to switch onto guards and smaller forwards arise?

Who can I rely on to knock down free throws in the clutch?

Who can I rely on to lead my team? Inspire confidence and trust? Someone who won't wilt under pressure?

Who never takes a play off, and never lets smack talk get into his head? Works tirelessly to work on his game in the off season?

There's only one player that covers all of these in my opinion. Hakeem. Hakeem is the answer.

Also, for $1 I think every GM in the league is picking him as well.

1 person likes this.
  9. cml750

cml750 Member

I personally would put Dream up against anyone. I would take him over any player of ANY era. I truly believe nobody made more of an impact on BOTH ends of the floor than DREAM. I feel very lucky to have been able to watch Dream throughout his entire college and NBA career.:cool:

10. nepopop

nepopop Member

duncan should be $5. No way he isnt best PF ever.

I would fill my team with

Stockton $2
    Jordan $5
    Pippen $1
    Duncan $3
    The Dream $1

And i would still have budget to get Wade, KG and Frazier to my bench :p

11. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

No, he isn't '6-9'. Not the '6-9' modern players like to be listed at.

He was measured 6-9 and 5/8ths without shoes on in 1955 at SFU. That's 5/8ths of an inch taller than Dwight Howard measured in the draft. And he also had other tools like a decent 7-4 inch armspan, 10.5 inch hand length, and incredible athleticsm (was an olympic class high jumper). He's basically the same height as Hakeem Olajuwon or Tim Duncan, who are both also in the 6-9 to 6-10 without shoes ballpark, do you consider Hakeem or Duncan too 'short' to play center?

Next to Duncan, who once listed 7-0
    [​IMG]

Next to Ben Wallace, a modern "6-9" player (usually players 6-7 or 6-8 without shoes are listed at 6-9 today...)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Bill Russell was pretty damned athletic though. He had a nice handle for a center. I've seen highlights of him beating his man off the dribble and driving to the basket for layups and dunks. I've also seen him dribble the ball up court like a point guard. I don't even have to bring up Russell's defense.

13. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

He's also not '6-9' in the modern use of that number, he's the same height as other centers who list 6-11 or 7 foot he played in the days before list info was inflated by 1 or 2 inches, he actually undersold his height, as he was measured at San Francisco in 1955 to be 6-9 and 5/8ths without shoes on. See my post above, Russell was and still is a very tall person, he makes regular appearances greeting the games modern big men and he still sees guys like Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan eye to eye despite being what, 78 years old? For reference Kevin Love, who lists 6-10 today only stands 6-7 and 3/4 of an inch tall without shoes and has a 6-11 wingspan. Bill Russell at 6-9 and 5/8ths without shoes and a 7-4 wingspan would dwarf him, his outdated 6-9 listing really can't be compared to modern players.

14. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Tough decisions.....have to consider Yao for center.

[​IMG]

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Olajuwon - 5
    Howard - 3
    Battier - 2
    Harden - 3
    Lucas - 2

:)

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

With all due respect to Dwight, Sampson and Yao should both be above him, based on his time with the Rockets and only this time.

17. windwave

windwave Member

Frazier
    Jordan
    Lebron
    Duncan
    Hakeem

all were in multiple defensive 1st team, all multiple championship winners

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lucas
    Harden
    Battier
    Barkley
    Hakeem

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Doesn't work.

Lin is $15.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Are we picking the players based off of their play as Rockets or their career best? i.e. do I get Barkley as a Rocket or the Philly/Phoenix Sir Charles?