1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Was the "Fluke" Season: 12-4 or 2-14?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, May 30, 2014.

?

Which was the fluke season?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2014.
  1. 12-4 was more of a fluke

20.0%
  2. 2-14 was more of a fluke

80.0%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just wondering what the consensus on this board is.

I lean more towards 2-14 being the fluke season. It's just hard for me to believe that losing a couple of O-linemen would cost us 10 wins the next season. 2-14 had more to do with Schaub's free-fall than anything else, IMO. Once he started throwing pick-6's, everything else just sort of caved in.

Not saying 12-4 was truly who we were either, but I think right now we're closer to 12-4 than we are 2-14.

1 person likes this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Split the difference and they're still not a good team.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I think 2-14. Everything that could go wrong.... Did.

That core might have been over achieving before but no way they were/are 2-14 bad... Last year was the collapse needed to clean house

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Both are fluky seasons. 12-4 year so many things went our way, including the escape against Jacksonville and the challenge fiasco against Detroit. Our only true "contending" season was the 10-6 year before that. That was the year I still maintain today that with Schaub we could've won the Super Bowl. Even when we were 12-4 the year after I figured we'd be destroyed by Denver or NE.

Last year the team just flat out quit. And as much as I hated Schaub, his pick 6s were really fluky. I think had we won the Seahawks game and his confidence not totally shot, we could've ended up 9-7 or something.

I'm personally expecting 8-8 or 7-9. Very limited upside given our QB situation.

5. Summer Song Giver

Basically you're asking the over under on 8 wins and at this point with no reliable QB in the stable I think 8 wins will be very difficult to achieve.

There were some definite holes in the ship during the 12 win season, things that really started to appear down the stretch that year. And, during last season there were few, very few bright spots; even the two wins were riddled with phantom calls that went our way and fluke plays that pushed the decision the Texans way.

Some of this can be attributed to coaching but some of it is organizational and that hasn't changed. I like O'Brien but we'll see if he is enough to stem the tide of losers this organization is riddled with.

If the o/u is 8 wins, at this point I take the under.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly. It seemed like more guys jumped on the quit-wagon with each pick-6. That's why I think the whole season was such a fluke.

Not saying 12-4 wasn't a fluke either, but if I had to choose which one was more of a fluke (the point of the thread), I'd go with 2-14.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you believe 2-14 was a fluke then you must be pissed Kubiak and Scahub aren't back.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

This. They unnecessarily threw away this season before it even started.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Or maybe they knew that this wasn't just a reload. Maybe they finally learned after 8 years that the foundation was sand and they are going to re-build on a rock?

I hope that's the case because there is no reason to try to salvage a team that's highest peak was winning 2 playoff games in 8 years.

10. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

We lost Arian, Owen, Cush and Manning all within the first half of the season. Fluke or unfortunate.

I'm hopefull that it was fate...for us to get Clowney and rule the NFL!

11. Remii

Remii Member

This... Great take. Also in the 10-6 year Manning was out. And they actually won a couple of games with Jacoby and Walter as the starting receivers and Dre was pretty much injured for most of that season as well. And in both of their playoff seasons the division was garbage with two teams that couldn't even combine for 8 wins each of those years.

I still maintain that the Texans should have beat Baltimore if Kubiak hadn't have lost his d@mn mind and let TJ throw the ball all over the field instead of continuing to run it. Ben Tate didn't even get a carry that game.

12. arjun

arjun Member

losing 14 games in a row for any football team, let alone one with our level of talent..is the fluke.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I would say both were fluke seasons. Towards the end of the 12-4 season we had s total complete meltdown. We started off hot but once the ball started rolling downward, we couldn't recover.

Last season imo we were better than 2-14. Aint no way in hell we should have been that freaking bad. No way

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The 2-14 obviously was the fluke. Everything that could have gone wrong, including the coach having a stroke on the field, did. The way I see it, if you think the 12-4 team was a "fluke" then you are just a pessimist. Even with the awful year last year, if a couple of things go right and the Texans win the one possession games instead of lose them, they win 11 games instead of 2.

The Texans' roster has a ton of talent on it, and given the easy schedule they have this year I'd take the over at 7.5 games.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

False. Not even close.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not true. They could have very easily been 0-16. They were very lucky to win those first 2 games.

17. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

They were also extremely unlucky to lose the following 14...

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah. i was just pointing out that they weren't completely luckless the whole season.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL sort of like "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

1 person likes this.
  20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think both seasons were flukes; not as good when winning, not as bad when losing.