1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Primary Elections

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 13, 2014.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Even if Staples and Patterson endorse him, he still loses. The runoff electorate wont be the same as the primary electorate. Patrick's voters are the types that will go to a runoff. This one is over.

2. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

That was my point. That even if he DID get those endorsements, which he won't (at least not Staples') he would still lose. Sorry if that was unclear. You're exactly right, DP being the more conservative of the two, will obviously have an advantage at the runoff turnout.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Also, was just discussing with some colleagues the 2/3rds rule. As discussed, it's not up to DP, it's up to the entire senate when they adopt rules. Over the years, multiple members have objected to the 2/3rds rule in the minutes. So I was wrong, it IS possible, but still not probable.

From what I am hearing, most members want/need the 2/3rds rule...otherwise they'll be forced to file their crazy ****, like gold standard currency, and const. convention, etc. All they will need is 1 vote to have 2/3rds of the vote. It would be easier for them to try and convince 1 D to vote with them, then risk having to file ridiculous legislation that would actually pass now. Most sessions super conservative Rs and Ds for that matter file their crazy ideas knowing they have no shot of even making it out of committee, let alone a floor vote. The rule protects them from their own crazy ass constituency. I also predict that the Senate will want to retain the appearance of some sanity -- compared to the House. They want this to look good on the Rs. That we got full control, but didn't go gung ho crazy right wing.

Only time will tell though!

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Correct but as the presiding officer of the Senate, he has the power to make the 2/3 rule an issue. Dewhurst knew to keep his mouth shut and just quietly bring it up for a vote and pass it.

Patrick has always been opposed to 2/3 and I'm willing to bet he wont play ball this time and will demand the Senate end the 2/3 rule. That's the problem with him. He doesn't act rationally and he's crazy enough to just end the rule. Also, John Corona, who was a big advocate for the 2/3 rule just got primaried yesterday so there goes one senator that would have voted to uphold it. Selliger survived his primary so he's still around but the Republicans in the Senate are becoming more insurgent/tea partyish and with Patrick at the helm, he can push through a set of rules with a modified 2/3 rule.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think many of us don't realize just how right wing most of our fellow Texans are these days. I know living in Austin and working in state government surrounds me with many folks of similarly progressive ideals. We forget that the more reactionary tea party leaning right wingers here like giddy, Commodore, lil texxx, and others are, for better or worse, pretty representative of a large chunk of Texans. I've lived in East Texas and Dallas, and these "current" tea party extremes are not uncommon, nor new.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

He can make it "an issue," but the vote is still up to the body of the Senate.

Also, and I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Patrick has stated he would get rid of the 2/3rds rule in favor of either 60% or proportional, either way it would accomplish the same thing (ensure D's can't stop a vote without an R), but I don't think he has suggested a simple majority...but I'm kind of doubting that because I know I was at a candidate debate and ONE of the candidates DID say he would outright get rid of it.

It's certainly a possibility, but I don't see it as likely. There's a better chance that he would remove D chairs than remove the 2/3rds rule. I heard a rumor that Lucio may promise to vote on the R side IF he agrees not to take away the 2/3rds rule...that was a staffer though, so I'm not sure how much truth is there.

What kind of annoys me about the primaries are things like Comptroller and Land Commissioner races...what the hell does opposing Obamacare or gun rights have to do with those two offices? I want someone who can perform the duties, show me your qualifications. Why do voters, on both sides, allow people with no experience to run for these positions? I can't remember, did Mark Collier win the D nomination? I believe it was he who said that the comptroller shouldn't be affiliated with any party...I like that idea. We need a neutral revenue estimate, the legislators can decide how much of it to spend, but we need a real estimate of how much money we expect to have.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sad but true.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought the tea party was circling the drain and I could, once again, be proud to be a conservative.

Guess we're not there yet. At least not in Texas. Seems everyone Cruz endorsed won (or will eventually).

9. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

The turn-out to these primary elections is so small though. 10% deciding it all for everyone. Come the general election everyone just votes party ticket.

10. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Abbott's top 3 issues:
    1) Repeal Obamacare
    2) Gun rights
    3) Protecting traditional values

Davis' top 3 issues:
    1) Education
    2) Economic Growth
    3)Gov Accountability

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Republicans of Texas own the results of the elections that determine the nominees of their party, and thus own the consequences of those nominees getting elected to office, if they do get elected to office. The Democratic Party sure as heck doesn't. We have enough problems of our own.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is Abbott running for political office or head of the Tea Party crazies?

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad how his number one issue is a talking point he can't accomplish in his role as a state governor and not, you know, president.

14. Buck Turgidson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-l1p6QHK8ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

live stream Dewhurst vs Dan Patrick debate at 7pm CST

<iframe width="480" height="302" src="http://www.ustream.tv/embed/16684255?v=3&amp;wmode=direct" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;"> </iframe>
    <br /><a href="http://www.ustream.tv/" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Live streaming video by Ustream</a>

#55 Commodore, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  16. NMS is the Best

I'm trying to get all my family and friends to vote out Kesha Rogers (a crazy LaRouch lady) in the Dem Senate Primary. If there are any self respecting democrats in here please don't forget to vote on May 27th :grin:

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

runoff election is tomorrow, don't forget to vote

Dewhurst ad wtf

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/50c0c-KIbR8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

#58 BetterThanEver, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They should have taken the last 15 seconds of that and stretched it out over the whole minute. Or at least added a rap bridge.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I respectfully ask this again.