1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban on bigotry

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, May 22, 2014.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

Oh please people pose like that with a regular shirt on or shirtless. That would make sense if people only posed like that wearing a hoodie.

2. downbytheriver

when you say 'attempt', were they always successful? ie-how did you get away?

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Stewart never came out and publicly apologized for her actions while Snoop has done so on numerous occasions. At the end Stewart and people like her have the wealth and privilege to commit white collar crimes that low and middle income people will pay the price for. As long as she doesn't get caught again she'll be happy to benefit from insider trading.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

My biggest concern is that if all of this taking place on Sesame Street, somebody ought to be watching that Green Monster in the trash can more closely.

5. adobo

adobo Member

I see where Mark Cuban is coming from, and their is a whole lot of truth in what he said. The "Hoodie" comment is probably not the wisest choice of a description (i.e. Zimmerman) but nothing really controversial IMO.

Regarding Sterling....he is right, it is a "slippery slope", but at the end, NBA is a business and all of the owners have the right to protect their own business (franchise) by protecting the league they are in (the hen that lays golden eggs).

If owners vote to let Sterling stay, players from the clippers will boycott games, players from other teams will boycott clippers games, fans turning their backs on the clippers franchise etc.. Every NBA headline will be about Sterling, Clippers and the boycotts and would put the whole NBA season in jeopardy and tarnish in the long term the NBA brand. I could also picture long legal battles left and right etc.... It will be a mess.

As an owner from other franchise, I would vote, absolutely vote to kick him out, because this will hurt their franchise/business in a big big way.

Sterling did not break any laws, he is entitled to his own opinion (wrong or right) I get that.

HOWEVER his in the business where PUBLIC RELATIONS is paramount, he has totally tarnished his image and his relations with the public. One owner SHOULD NOT be able to hold the whole league hostage because his massive ego (business wise, it is very STUPID for him to stay) won't let him leave.

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Did she go to prison? And isn't snoop dog rich as well?

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I clutch my nieces close to me around middle age white men. Seriously, i do.
    When visiting London, I wait for the next bus when I see an Muslim in full gear riding.
    I go to the Cinema in the whitest part of town because Mexicans and blacks never stfu.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

baldness is menacing?

where does it say face tattoos

9. adobo

adobo Member

Same.

-I envied Chinese students who wore glasses during math exams
    -People always assume that I can sing during karaoke or be able to play the guitar cause im filipino
    -i found out that not all blonde girls are dumb
    -I found out that not all indians work in a call centre (some also work in convenient stores)
    etc..

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I can't hear that story, and not make an assumption. If something bad happens to you on a daily basis - be it on the degree of a tiny chihuahua barking at you to people holding you up at gunpoint - you'll start to get desensitized to the situation. "Oh, that's just Mrs. Smith's dog - he's always barking. Don't worry about him." vs "Yikes! That dog seems like it really wants to fight."

I'm sure the first time your life was in danger, during those robberies, you weren't as calm and collected as you might have been, the most recent time you were in that same situation. However, I'd pose that if something bad happens to you rarely, that stimulus will serve to heighten your fear.

My mom was robbed that one time in her life. She's not scared of teenagers, but it's not as though she walked near groups of teenagers every day, or that she's been in that situation more than once. I was bitten by a large dog in high school, because I walked too close to its owner - there's nothing "stronger" about me if I decide to attempt the same thing near another dog. I'd rather avoid the situation if I could.

At the risk of giving too many examples, my point is this - one's perspective definitely changes based on their experiences in life. I would have no idea what to do with myself if I was in Brazil being held at gunpoint. Cry, probably, would be the first thing, lol. I don't understand how there would be anything remotely good in the people that tried to rob you.

I'm not sure what your point is, or how I've proven it, when you're saying that my mom isn't weak, but that you're also right in that stronger people resist the impulse to avoid, and instead, confront head on by giving the benefit of the doubt.

Again, she's not scared of all teenagers, just like I'm not scared of all dogs. But when you're confronted with a similar situation, it's hard to give people the benefit of the doubt, when in that SAME situation, bad things have happened to you before.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm scared of poor people generally. Especially meth addicts.

12. Mr. Space City

13. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

What if a white kid has a hoodie? What makes the scenario different? What about if a black guy is bald and has tattoos?

Bigotry? No, he is correct in admitting it is predjudice.

14. blink

blink Contributing Member

let the players boycott, the NBA is a platform for them to make money. Without it, the players won't last long while owners tend to have money elsewhere.

sterling shouldnt be booted because he made stupid comments in private.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I see he doesn't avoid Asian people because we're not hard enough. **** that.
    [​IMG]
    FOCK WIT ME.

16. Nook

Nook Member

If it is raining .... Perhaps an umbrella?

17. afk

afk Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ztRSm_SJP58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. adobo

adobo Member

You don't understand. No players means no fans. No fans means no money to be made (sponsorships, ticket sales etc..). No money to be made means no franchise/business.

NBA will be damaged. Bad publicity, boycotts, less focus on basketball, fans turning their backs, less sponsorships etc..

You're willing to throw the whole league under the bus because of Sterling?

Don't feel too sorry for him, once he sells his shares of the Clippers...he will be paid handsomely.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Mark Cuban does not walk down streets.

I call his bluff.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Stereotypes exist for every race. But African Americans are the only ones getting regularly killed with almost zero repercussions because of theirs. Mark Cuban unintentionally fed into some of those stereotypes with his comments. It's cool, I still don't think he's a racist though