1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's be realistic for a second...What are people actually expecting from the Rockets roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanswin2013, May 21, 2014.

1. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

People have talked so much **** about this team....Specifically James Harden...You would think this dude is the 2nd or 3rd best player in the NBA.....HE IS NOT.

I have seen several people comparing this guy to prime Tracy McGrady....Young DWade, and Michael ****ing Jordan...I mean..Do you people actually think with your heads? I know people say stuff in spite but come the **** on.

And on top of this, they're angry because of a first round exit in one of the more stacked conferences in league history....

News FLASH: The Rockets are NOT the most talented team in the NBA. I can name at least 4 teams with a better and more balanced roster top to bottom than this Rockets squad. Clippers,Thunder, Heat and SA are definitely more talented. Not debatable.

CP3, LeBron, KD > Harden...But guess what else...They're also all better than Dwight Howard.....

Debatable "< >" players: Griffin, Wade, Westbrook... Debatable, not even definite that our best players are better than those guys, the 2nd options of their teams....We are what we are.

With all this said, we are in better shape than at least 80% of the NBA's franchises. ****ing enjoy it and be thankful Kevin Martin is not our best player anymore.

The entire point of me making this thread was for you people to understand the limitations and overrall talent level of our players are realize KD, LeBron, Duncan and maybe Chris Paul , guys who are better than our guys are most likely keeping the Curry's and Harden's of the world from getting rings....

That is just reality. But just be thankful we aren't running in circles like the Knicks, or just flat out losing and catching every bad break like the Lakers...

ENJOY THE RIDE.

1 person likes this.
  2. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Pretty good post.

3. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Good post, but put this in perspective: Gregg Popovich as the Rocket's head coach. With THIS roster, do we have a chance for a ring with his coaching staff?

1 person likes this.
  4. bmd

bmd Member

This roster really isn't that good. Dwight and Harden are great players. Parsons is a solid player.

Asik is also a good player but due to his position, he doesn't get much playing time.

Everybody else isn't that good.

The Rockets don't even have any of those veteran players who can still come off the bench and contribute. They're all young and inexperienced.

The fact of the matter is... the roster just isn't that good once you get past Dwight, Harden, and Parsons.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope.

The depth was a real issue and the elephant in the room is Jermey Lin's contract. He just did fit the team after Harden showed up. $8 million is a lot of money that could help solidify a bench with vet leaders.

The Minutes played by our starters were a huge problem. Harden and Parsons were amount the leaders in minutes played. If Howard didn't get in foul trouble he'd be up there too. We have ZERO bench depth.

6. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

This is the first time in 20 years that the franchise has not been running in circles. It is frustratingly different to have a team this talented underachieve, but I will agree that it is a halfway decent problem to have.

Also, what do you mean you people?

7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i actually think Joe Johnson is better than James Haren
    JJ is more team player and play both side on the floor
    Haren cares too much about his stats
    he can scored 30 ppg all he wants
    not going to help when he gave up 32 ppg to his guy

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Not entirely true.

No other team has two outright best players in the world at their respective positions. Rockets have Harden at SG and Dwight at C as the best players at their position. That is 40% of the starters right there. Maybe just maybe Clippers, with CP3 at point and if you consider Griffin the best PF in the league.

Add to that a top 10 SF in Parsons (like most here claim), a back up top 5 defensive center, one of the best defensive PG's and a pretty solid bench if used correctly.

The talent is there. Right up there. What is holding the Rockets back is simply coaching or lack thereof.

What I will say though despite the above is that outside Harden and Howard our talent is a tad overrated not just by most here but by Morey too it seems. Bev and Lin should not be starters for any team, Parsons while good is over-rated (not a top 10 SF IMO).

1 person likes this.
  9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I agree. Our roster is very top heavy, with the bottom players mostly underwhelming, but that is by design. See Zach Lowe's grantland piece on role players in the playoffs. Houston didn't want to spend medium sized money on good role players to support our stars last season, instead they gave cheap contracts that were gambles, hoping a few would pay off. Unfortunately, Garcia, Casspi, Hamilton, and Lin have all largely not paid off, costing us depth. This is in contrast to teams like Dallas that overachieved in the playoffs because they paid extra for veteran depth who made the difference in the playoffs. While it was disappointing, I understand why we did it. Stars are the hard part to find in this league, not role players. Houston wants to keep its options open for finding that third star, and only after we have clearly found one will they build around with vets on longer contracts. Being able to do so is the difference between putting out a perennial contender and a perennial second round contender. I'd much rather shoot for the moon and go for the former.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If only this was what was actually happening.

I could be mistaken but I thought someone posted the stats after the season that showed our SG position out scored the oppositions SG by a wider margin than any other position.

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lost all credibility here

plz stop posting

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

After signing Dwight Howard the ONLY contracts, other than one ~2.5million exception, we could give out were vet minimum gambles.

Lin and Asik were both here before we brought in the superstars. If we had the stars first there is no way Morey uses his cap space on those 2. With those 2 off the books there's no doubt he would have and more importantly COULD have signed some the mid level type guys to balance out the roster a lot more than it currently is.

13. RedHotRockets01

Any way we can turn Lin / Asik / Draft Picks into Marcus Smart and Melo?

14. kastuul

kastuul Member

1st SG
    +1st C
    +1st defensive guard
    +Potential all-star
    = Champion

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Not just scoring. Here's the 48 minutes NET PER for each of our players at their primary positions from 82games.com:

*** all PER ratings are per 48 minutes
    *** NOTE: Average NBA per is right around 15

Harden at SG PER 24.8 opponent: 13.9 Net PER: + 10.9

Howard at C PER 23.2 opponent: 16.3 Net PER: +7

Parsons at SF PER 17.2 opponent: 14.6 Net PER: +2.6

Beverley at PG PER 13.1 opponent: 14.3 Net PER: -1.2

Jones at PF PER 20.5 opponent: 18.9 Net PER: +1.6

Lin at PG PER 12.6 opponent: 13.3 Net PER: -0.6

Asik at C PER 16.2 opponent: 16.1 Net PER: +0.2

16. dtrain0928

dtrain0928 Member

I think most people would agree that CP3

17. dtrain0928

dtrain0928 Member

^fixed

18. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Getting Love would dramatically make this team better..He's a smart player all around.Can go beast mode.Solid as you could possible find...and is exactly what the Rockets need.

More quality players should follow..Hardens defense it something that needs huge improvements.Not gonna win a ring like that..Just standing there...

1 person likes this.
  19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It sounds like you're describing what we went through with with Yao and steve and then tmac and yao....so how are we not going in circles? If this team can't clearly break into being a top 5 team, then it's not different. I've been on that ride before and it's getting old.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The problem about this team is this : there is some kind of evil aura around this team, this team has a very bad vibe.

Look carefully as I am not joking here.

Our coach is probably the dumbest in the league, our super start SG is a laughing stock on D, our super star C is a PR nightmare the last few seasons, our Asian sensation is overrated in every aspects also with a horrible contract and followed by a group of maniacs, our backup C has a bad contract combined with bad attitudes.

Even our GM, as great as the Rockets fans will think he is, are often described to be the evil dork Elvis.

Overall, our players made more dumb plays (TOV) on the floor than other teams and made more dumbest decisions you will ever seen.

The media doesn't respect us in general, the refs will not give us marginal calls. Other teams hate to make deals with us.

Until you can change the culture and mindset of this team, you really should not expect much.