1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Houston plans to pursue Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Didn't Dwight supposedly say a lot of the same things the summer before he was traded to the Lakers?...

2. TheJet

TheJet Member

From what I can remember and what I've read that cat has broken at least a story or two before the media got it. Opinion on his legitimacy here various but he does catch a lot of flak when he posts. I enjoy reading his stuff and the discussions they generate so I can kinda sympathize with the folks that defend him. I'm thinking that's all that this was.

I could buy Love questioning Harden but I figured most NBA players could see through the Dwightmare stuff. Howard seemed like a good kid before the last year in Orlando and the awful year in LA and he's been gold here. The larger sample size seems to show he's a good egg. Of course, like I mentioned earlier true character is revealed when things are at their worst so I guess we'll see.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

"allegedly"

Who can forget the frequent updates that were constantly pimping the Lakers.

Dwight is in love with the billboard campaign! The Lakers are bringing in Phil in some role to keep Dwight! The Lakers might fire Pringles!

4. JazzLakerHater

Better is questionable, but those two would definitely make us a much tougher team. IMO, the only thing this team needs is a much needed dose of toughness and grittiness. Bev is the only guy like that and your 6'0 point guard who only averages 10 and 3 can't be your toughest player.

5. TheJet

TheJet Member

That's the thing... When a high profile star is going through a team divorce bad blood can spill out. And LA, yea, well you know what the media and fan base there is like. Hell look at some of the comments Chandler made this year. If he was in a major media market, or a high profile team, OR he was a big star can you imagine the backlash? In short, players can get away with a hell of a lot more when the spotlight isn't squarely singling them out.

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

Meet your new assistant:

[​IMG]

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I wonder how this affects Chicago's pursuit of Melo? I doubt Love gets traded before free agency starts, so they have to court Melo first. Should we hope that Melo chooses Chicago to eliminate a suitor for Love?

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'm not greedy, Chicago can have one of Melo or Love as long as we get the other.

9. TheJet

TheJet Member

The Melo Rockets photoshop looked better :grin:

10. Rox7

Rox7 Member

If Love is not coming, do we need to keep McHale?

11. JazzLakerHater

McHale shouldn't be here regardless who we get.

12. fluors

fluors Member

Kevin Love is not 6-8, he’s 6-10 via http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/min/minnesota-timberwolves. Statistically, it is not true that he plays no defense. His DRPM (Defensive Real Plus Minus) is decent; not elite but much better than Harden and TJones. Defensively, his DRPM is not on their level. Love is a plus defender (+1.55) which ranks him 24th of 90 PFs whereas Harden and Tjones are negative defenders ranked near the bottom of the nba at their respective positions. Love’s DRPM is not artificially inflated; meaning he is not surrounded by elite defenders because only Rubiop is considered elite at his position. Love and Rubio are the best defenders in the starting five; the other starters are not good defenders. So Love’s DRPM (+1.55) is honest and deserved.

Name------------DRPM (Defense – Real Plus Minus) via espn.com: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6)
    G. Dieng (C)------ +0.18; R. Turiaf = +2.71; N. Pekovic = +2.18
    K. Love (PF)------ +1.55 (24th of 90 PFs); D. Cunningham = +0.13; L. a Moute = +1.25
    C. Brewer (SF)---- -0.87; C. Budinger = -0.83
    K. Martin (SG)------2.00; A. Shved = -0.48
    R. Rubio (PG)------+2.45; J.J. Barea = -1.32

Even Kevin Love’s 104.1 DefRtg at nba.com (101.3 at home and 106.8 on the road) is better than TJones' nba.com DefRtg of 105.8 (104 at home and 107.8 n the road). For comparison, Harden's DefRtg at nba.com is a respectable 103.1, better than both Love and Jones. http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerGe...de=PerGame&sortField=DEF_RATING&sortOrder=ASC. Remember nba.com simply tracks the points allowed by a team while player X is on the floor, whereas espn's DRPM is the result of complicated mathematical formulas centered around x-RAPM and box scores.

Now compare Kevin Love's DRPM (24th of 90) with TJones (84th of 90) and the rest of the Rockets. http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6)

Name------------DRPM (Defense – Real Plus Minus) via espn.com:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6)
    D. Howard (C)------+4.91; O. Asik = +4.82
    T. Jones (PF)--------1.92 (84th of 90); D. Montejunas = +0.53
    C.Parsons (SF)-----+0.57; O. Casspi = +0.33;
    J. Harden (SG)------2.82; T. Daniels = -1.52
    P. Beverley (PG)----+1.30; J. Lin = +0.30

On defense, the primary problems for the Rockets are SG and PF, but, the acquisition of Kevin Love would improve defense at the PF position. There’s not much we can do to improve SG until Harden has an epiphany. The Rockets defense is elite at Center, very good at PG, and decent at SF. That’s why so many Rox fans were baffled to see Harden and Tjones (our worst defenders) on the floor at the end of game six.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Joe_OB">@Joe_OB</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/DerekJamesNBA">@DerekJamesNBA</a> Parsons and Jones and Asik or Lin if you want either</p>&mdash; Jerry Zgoda (@JerryZgoda) <a href="https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/statuses/468579308055719937">May 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. fluors

fluors Member

Edit: Hardens DRPM via espn ranks him 78th of 90 SGs in the league.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That's the price for Love? If so, done! DONE! DONE!

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Morey salivates

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Oh wait, that's just what HOU would offer, not what MIN would accept. Never mind. :(

18. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Offer should be something like Parsons, Jones, Lin, and 2 1sts. Don't know if we could absorb Bud's contract too, he could start at SF if he returned.

19. showa13

showa13 Member

Kevin Love calling Harden a poor defender and not a winner is laughable. Is Harden a poor defender? Stats, film, eye test show that he is, and I think at this point in his career he is a poor defender. But Kevin Love has no room to talk. His defense is just as terrible. And Harden actually playing a playoff game is already more than Love has done in his entire career. I'm not saying I disagree with what he said, I just think it's hilarious that Love thinks this with his track record of winning and playoff success. I would rather have Love than Melo in the long run though.

And I understand the skepticism that cyberx gets on here, folks on message boards make up stuff all the time. But when Clutch verified that cyberx is legit, well real recognizes real.

20. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

Do not want. Love is a terrible defender and a diva. all he does is constantly throw his teammates under the bus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.