1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you prefer? Kevin Love, Deron Williams, Carmelo Anthony, Rajon Rondo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leangle25, May 18, 2014.

?

WHO?

1. Kevin Love

474 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. Deron Williams

17 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Carmelo Anthony

95 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Rajon Rondo

132 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I think Love would be a good fit for the team, but I really dont see the Rockets being able to win it all with him. Carmelo on the other hand, is a prolific scorer and impossible to guard on the block one on one. Melo at least places us in the position to compete for the title. Howard, Melo, and Harden is a legit big three... Btw, Carmelo has carried the knicks because they needed him to jack up 30-40 shots. With the Rockets, he wont have too and could become a more efficient shooter. If he can evolve his game like Paul Pierce, Melo could be a really solid addition to this team.

I was a huge Deron Williams fan, but Im starting to think his best basketball is behind him(way back in Utah). Rajon, would be an ok option, but we are left with the same situation of surrounding the team with shooters.

2. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Wish we can somehow land both Love and Rondo.

3. nel00

nel00 Member

I see LoveMelo as pretty equal. Both can score and play defense equally as good or bad. Love is younger but Melo is ready to win with Howard now! I just don't see the HardLove combo as having the same "agenda" as Howard right away. Maybe when they mature which may take a couple of years (eventually past Dwight's years) maybe then it will be a better combo than HardMelo.

With that said....and since we are in a win now mode... I pick Melo.

If Melo does want to come to Houston I also see NYC taking Asik & Lin alot easier than any other team. (well besides the Nets but if Morey deals with the Nets he would get Moreyed)

Now if we could some how trade for Melo and sign Lowry to good deal I think we would have a very good chance at that championship for the next 3 to 5years.

No option for Melo & Lowry???

4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Only reason why I would love to see Love in a ketchup and mustard.
    REBOUNDS!!!

5. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

real? we need a friggin point guard. Rondo all the way

6. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I scrolled through the first few pages the other night, but don't want to scroll through everything right now. I'm just wondering if any of the 9 people that picked Deron Williams posted to try to defend the reasoning why? My guess is that they haven't watched a Deron Williams game since 2009, but I'd like to see their input as to why they'd pick him if there is another reason.

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Deron Williams is a no.. On his last leg to be honest, or should I say ankle.

Rondo, Elite PG. However, scoring is an issue. They will double on Dwight or Harden and focus Rondo to shoot. Don't like that. Outside of that, he will get the ball moving and don't allow it to become "sticky".

Melo, will be great for scoring reasons. However, outside of that... not to much going here. Harden/Dwight/Melo will want the ball. That's why I believe it's going to be a battle here if Melo comes.

Love, I feel will be the BEST fit. Just think about last season. How much times was Jones left open at the three line forcing us to shoot the three. Jones is a great player, but he no Kevin Love. Love will allow us to put another shooter and mid range shooter on the floor.

8. sutton

sutton Member

Deron is the only realistic option, no other star level PG want to play with Harden.

And the "best fit" Beverley-Harden combo failed miserably.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Rondo - I think he fits the team well, and strengthens the PG position and I guesstimate his market value is low enough that's he is realistic to acquire without spending too much.

2. Love - Love would be great and all, but I think we really don't have the ammunition for that trade without including one of Harden or Howard, which really undercuts the logic of getting him in the first place. So, I'm knocking him down a peg just for being unavailable. All else equal, I'd take him over Rondo, but things aren't equal.

3. Williams - I'd rate him lower if Melo wasn't on the list. But, I'm also listing him on the understanding that he negotiates a buy-out and we pick him up as a free agent. Obviously, no one would willingly take his contract as-is.

4. Melo - Sure, he's a bigtime player and all, but I think he's a loser. Maybe he proves me wrong. But, his teams always seem to end up dysfunctional and less than the sum of its parts. I don't think he knows how to make his teammates better, nor can he effectively let them help him.

He didn't get Sloan fired. He was traded and then Sloan quit because he didn't want to lose Williams and have to start over. Management begged him to stay.

I voted Rondo, but I gave my reasoning above for why Williams would be on the list. Most Williams voters though must be trolling the poll.

10. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I don't get the obsession with Love. His stats is great, but he doesn't really defend that well.

DW is damaged goods, people cry about Lin's contract, while loving DW's atrocious one?

General perception is that Melo is such a ballhog and doesn't defend, but in reality, he's one of the few at Knicks really tried this year. At this point of his career, he's willing to do a lot of things to win.

I don't know whether Rondo is his old self any more, but PG position needs to be upgraded.

If I have a choice, would probably be Melo and/or Rondo.

BTW, can I get Millsap instead of Love?

11. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Love would be a great fit, but a healthy Bev is not enough. We need an upgrade at PG to be serious contenders in the West.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Id rather have Rondo (12.9M) AND Milsap (9.5M) than Love or Melo for roughly the same amount.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

5 years ago, I (and probably most everyone) would say Williams hands down. Now his health is a big concern and his contract is scary.

For the same reasons, I think taking Rondo is a huge risk and not sure it's worth it.

And I never liked Melo. I agree with those who think he seems to be a chemistry killer even though his stats are great. Another huge risk IMO.

That leave Love. He's flawed too, of course. And I don't think he is good enough to be the best player on a contender. But we don't need him to be that. We need a PF who can stretch the floor and guard the defensive board when Dwight goes for the block. I would prefer LMA over Love if I had a choice.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The more I think about it, id rather have Lowry/Milsap than Melo or Love.

15. hollywoodMarine

I agree regarding Melo. I feel like the whole Melo being selfish thing is blown out of proportion. He actually really tried to get his teammates involved this season, but most of his passes simply were not converted into baskets, simply because, let's face it, his teammates were not that great. He averaged 3 assists per game, but I think I read an article awhile back saying he actually registered 6.5 potential assists per game.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nets&amp;src=hash">#Nets</a> Medical Update: Deron Williams scheduled to undergo surgery on both ankles on May 27 <a href="https://twitter.com/bkdefend">@bkdefend</a> announced today: <a href="http://t.co/x8IbQBy4gi">http://t.co/x8IbQBy4gi</a></p>&mdash; Brooklyn Nets (@BrooklynNets) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrooklynNets/statuses/469571351921979392">May 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2 bad wheels. 3 more years at 20MM per.

Salary Albatross.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Signing Melo and keeping Parsons would be the best team for winning now IMO. Howard and Melo are 29/30.

If we were to land love we would contenders for the next 6-8 years with Harden and Love being so young. 24/25 but Howard will not last that long, will probably break down in te next 3 years, hopefully not though.

19. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Al Horford

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

I would love to have any star player but if that doesn't happen, I think we can realistically get Aaron brooks and Paul for a modest price.

I think it's good. The teams biggest weakness is scoring off the bench, so that solves that problem.