1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Houston plans to pursue Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregas

gregas Member

Get your all-stars and worry about resigning them later. It's not very often that a player like Love is on the market. There's going to be plenty of suitors that are going to be willing to take a chance.

Phoenix for example imo has a good chance of keeping him if they manage to get him. They have a very solid young team that won 48 games in the west, with Bledsoe missing 30+ games, and would be a serious contender with the addition of Love, and a lot of valuable assets that the wolves would like - 14, 18, 27, lakers 2015 first rounder, Goodwin, Len...

2. robinjaswal23

robinjaswal23 Member

After we get Love hopefully we can get Lowry to come here.

3. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Think 3 or 4 team trade and it'll help make sense.
    Asik moved to ATL, for example, and getting assets in return that would go to Minny. I would like to hear of a contender that could send a better package than Parsons/whatever we get for Asik/2 1st rounders. GS would offer Barnes/Lee which I don't think is better. Not sure exactly what Chicago would offer.
    Boston and Phoenix can offer better packages, yes, but will they without a guarantee that Love resigns there?

4. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Harden and love are close too

5. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

There are too many people that think Boston wants Asik and Lin. Why would they take Asik and Lin to help us get Love?

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Jones, #25, Asik, Lin, future first for Love.

Get it done, morey.

7. gregas

gregas Member

They wouldn't.

8. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

9. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

So why do they want expiring contracts?

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

So it sounds like his willingness to sign an extension w/ Boston is the real question?

11. tingalingy

tingalingy Member

I don't know why everyone here is throwing out all these crazy trade scenarios for someone who is a free agent next year. If Love wants to be here, there is very little incentive for us to offer much of anything of value in a trade this year, when we can sign him outright next year for free.

If he wants to sign with us, then the only reason we trade for him is to get him here a year early. And it's not going to cost us chandler, dmo, tjones, and multiple 1sts. That just screams nonsense to me.

12. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Really good chance Asik goes to ATL for Millsap and Millsap goes to Minny if this trade happens.

That helps fill in their PF void that Love leaving will do, I'm guessing they'd be ok taking Lin and playing him as a backup if they need to make salaries match.

Millsap, Parsons, Lin, Tjones & Picks seems like a reasonable offer to me for a team with very little leverage.

13. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

They don't.

They want 2 1sts and jones.

14. solodolo

solodolo Member

[​IMG]

Morey's gonna be on the phone like ..

1 person likes this.
  15. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

The reverse scenario is that he gets traded to a team, loves it, and resigns there immediately without entering free agency. That's why all these teams are trying to trade for Love, hoping to convince him enough so he'll resign with them. Obviously this plan failed with Dwight and the Lakers, but you'll never know when these 1 year rentals work out.

16. tingalingy

tingalingy Member

Because expiring contracts can be trade assets at a later time to take on salary for salary dumps, which is another way to get picks and/or young talent.

17. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It will cost us Chandler regardless, it is unlikely we'll be able to sign both if we give Love the max (Chandler will demand too much money).

You're ALWAYS better off getting the player and signing the extension for role players than to wait and get him. What if the Lakers get a really high pick who turns out to be a great player (Wade 2005 level), Love may just say F it I want to be back in LA and they have a team now.

If you can get rid of that risk for honestly a bunch of pieces that can be replaced, you do it.

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really get a feeling that Love wants to join a contender. There are only a few contending teams that could offer something of value to Minny. Although Boston might have a chance to land an awesome draft pick, I'm not sold he would want to go there. Outside of Rondo, what else just jumps out there thinking they would contend?

I think I might be totally off but I wonder if SAS or OKC would be willing to make a bid for Love.

19. brennan713

brennan713 Member

Not really news that we're pursuing the third star but it's good to see that Woj reported it.

Millsap-Parsons-Jones to Minny, while we send Asik to ATL. Let the picks fall where the may. Hopefully that would be enough to feel the Love in Houston.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Celtics without Love (eg this years squad) are no better than the TWolves without Love. The only hope would be if Rondo was for sure an all star PG for next five years... And that they're in the East. But they'd have to trade the rest of their interesting assets.

This is last year de ja vu. There was no question Houston was Dwight's best spot last year, because the team didn't have to give up any other assets. That's not the case here, but there's still no question Houston is the best spot this year because the assets they saved last year can now be used... And while good, they aren't great.

Harden, Howard. Those two guys aren't moving. Name another squad that will be able to pair Love with 2 like that, after trading for Love?? There is none.

But can luck strike twice? Love has - perhaps smartly - indicated he'd be willing to go to a few places. And some of those places have better things to offer in return.

Getting luck depends on (i) Morey finding a lotto pick in this draft - probably with Asik. TWolves don't need him. And/or (ii) Love saying trade me to Houston, or I sign there next offseason anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.