1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale will meet with general manager Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander in Florida on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, May 7, 2014.

1. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

who put u in the position to allow or not allow? get use to today's internet even president of US say something stupid he got mock to death.

2. dantian

dantian Member

:grin:

3. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Love your work.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

So McHale threw his assistant under the bus? That would be fitting since he does the same to his players after every loss.

Someone needs to explain to Les and Morey that this mentality of "we just need to acquire one more star" is killing this franchise. Les has had this mindset since the late 90's and it's clearly not working. I've always defended the Barkley trade since it was obvious we could not beat the Sonics and Chuck had proven he was capable of winning against them(and in 1997, we DID finally defeat them). The problem obviously was that we mortgaged our future in order to take one more shot at the title.

But ever since then, it's the same routine. We trade for Pippen. But Rudy plugs him into a Robert Horry role where he stands outside the 3-point line and shoots jumpers. That didn't work. We trade for Steve Francis. But the ISO offense with him and Mobley quickly becomes a liability when the league changes it rules and Rudy is unable to adapt. We trade for T-Mac. That one I'll cut the organization some slack on since he and Yao were just injury prone. And then we trade for Ron Artest. That move was the only one that worked out for the Rockets and ironically it happened AFTER T-Mac shut it down for the year. So we actually became a better team through addition by subtraction(i.e. FEWER stars).

And now we trade for Harden and sign Howard. But it's the same outcome. A first round loss. I'm not saying you don't need stars to win in this league. But it doesn't end there. The system, the coaching, the supporting cast. These things matter. It seems like every year the Rockets front office tries to swing for the fences instead of manufacturing runs with singles and doubles. And what's worse is those offseasons where they DON'T sign or trade for any stars. It's like they sit there and spin their wheels since they're averse to building through the draft. Hence suffering through both a 4-year and 3-year postseason drought since 2000.

1 person likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Lol... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

McHale helped cost us a championship in '86 and will continue to do so if he's retained. The Spurs domination of POR is working against him... perfect.

6. GMNot

GMNot Member

Fine. But since my post was mostly about players playing with passion or not, I'm not sure what you'll be mocking; that they played with passion (next season) and still lose/lost anyway, (meaning I'm off-base on passion being important), or what?

Since I didn't get to watch more than 3-4 games during the regular season, it can be argued I didn't see enough to really comment. That might be a fair assessment. But I think I recall in some post-game articles during the regular season where McHale said, "We just didn't move the ball... no player movement, everybody standing around." (paraphrased) So it's not like the recognition of basic problems isn't there by the coach... for those who think the Blazers characterization of the Spurs offense being more "swinging the ball around" than the Rockets. I'd say it's the players deferring to Harden too much, a la, Parsons "sticky ball" comments when Harden was out. So if the Rockets aren't swinging the ball as they could/should it seems they've determined that Harden just has to have the ball in his hands long enough to be effective. Which means what? That he doesn't move much without the ball? Or won't move well without the ball? Maybe this also was part of the Thunder's decision to let Harden go. After all, he was mostly coming off the bench there. Others who watched the team all season long can better assess how often Harden passes once he gets the ball. Ostensibly, he was traded mostly for monetary reasons.

The more you have players willing to move without the ball the more you increase your chances of getting someone to the basket with an advantage. The Rockets did that with Howard some, where he would roll to the basket without it being from a pick'n'roll position. More motion with cutters is one way to keep a defense off-balance.

Let's see what happens during the off-season. Who they might sign, and/or let go. A more offensively skilled PG is a necessity, I think. And, sharing the ball more.

One thing that is hard to dismiss is their standing in scoring. From those stats. San Antonio is 3rd, but beats both Houston and the Clippers (1 & 2 respectively) by points differential, meaning they played better defense on average. Also, note that Portland was a -6.4. By those figures, the Portland series should have been a cakewalk. But stats. can be misleading because of individual match-ups. It is more meaningful to look at these stats. in the regular season head-to-head meetings. Of course, Houston took 3 out of 4 against the Blazers and swept the series with SA. The post-season is different because of, dare I say, passion. SA carried that Finals loss from last year all year long. They definitely seem to be on a mission this playoffs.

I guess the fact that the Rockets ended up #1 in scoring average means despite their flawed "system" they were still pretty potent. Imagine how much better they might be if everyone buys into moving more without the ball, shares the ball better/more, all develop a mid-range jumper (Tony Parker has been showing it's worth, despite the criticism that it is not so important anymore), play with more passion/urgency -- meaning better defense -- improve layup conversions and improve team free-throw percentage. Can they improve in all these areas? I'd say they can but it's mostly up to the players to do so.

7. GMNot

GMNot Member

I would add another thought...

Since Morey is a stats. guy if anything, and if he says he let the fans down because of defense (not good enough), I'm pretty sure he has a very good statistical case for that sentiment.

8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

How many people want to spend their money to see McHail's stupid coaching????

I will never spend one cent on it!!!

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Mark Jackson is far better than McHale.

I don't see why McHale still can be retained as a NBA head coach.

10. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

Gold!!!

11. Rox7

Rox7 Member

When will milk hair decide to resign?
    Morey will not fire him for bringing in Howard.

12. htown1984

htown1984 Member

So is the meeting scheduled for Tomorrow still on? Will Mchale Resign or be given Basketball operation job with Morey?

13. albuster

albuster Member

Hmmm. Very interesting post with a lot of points that need to be looked at objectively. good post overall.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Is Morey trying to leverage Mchale's relationship with Flip Saunders?

15. JazzLakerHater

God I hope he resigns.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The waves wash away the body. No evidence.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I hope milk hair resigns. If he signs an extension...... :mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. htown1984

htown1984 Member

is the meeting today or was it last wendsday?

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

It was last week.

20. htown1984

htown1984 Member

So Mchale is staying as our head coach LOL... The coaching position
    is so undervalued.. Just look at the Clipper with Doc Rivers- They look
    tottaly different than under Del Negro.. We should would benifit from a good coach...