1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire assistant coach Dean Cooper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivenovember, May 10, 2014.

1. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

HUH? is this true or not? If it is, then Mchale is really fond of throwing anyone under the bus. :rolleyes:

2. Lihao

Lihao Member

you really think that's a true statement? :eek:

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That is obviously not true.

Thanks for finding those quotes, guys. Sounds like he and Sampson were responsible for defense... glad to see we are at least going back to the drawing board for assistants on that end.

4. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

That's why I said "If". LOL

5. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

Anyway, if this guy also doesn't do great with his job as defense coordinator, I mean we already have Mchale sucking on that one, and that guy is basically untouchable, so I guess we can just hope and pray they place someone good on that position.

6. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Lol who? Seriously?

7. Hous-TO-n

Hous-TO-n Member

pathetic superstar only cares about his box scores and got others fired
    Yes, even playoff

8. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Basically he's been with the ROX most of his career ..worked for Minnesota and Portland as well and was brought back by Mchale to Houston

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

like if he had anything to do with it, lol

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

hey hold on now. my sources may be unconfirmed and unreliable, but i still stick by them. i cannot say with certainty that quote came directly from mchale during the dean cooper press conference. but what i can say is..
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GlRnx7wz0Q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. nobie

nobie Member

He is leader of and on he court, he gets the team going when things get tough!
    McHale is love, Mchale is life!

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's mostly on the players, but McHale stunning statement that the defense on the Lillard shot was perfect was unbelievable. He can't cut it.

13. calcium

calcium Member

Heh. Good one.

He must be v low profile.

I never saw his name mentioned at all.

Bickerstaff, yes.
    Sampson, yes.
    Finch, yes.
    Buckner? RIngs a bell but cant say I remember.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/roster/2013

His name is still on the web page.

14. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Five stars for the news update by OP, one star for the hilarious attempt to blame anyone other than Mchale

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

16. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

The spin effort is amazing. You don't fire a coach, 1 season after using him to recruit your second star. He was always going to get a second go and the following decisions were always going to be sending assistants to the enunployement line and bringing in better replacments.

Mchale is a head coach who overseas things and NEEDS assistances who can look after the details.

17. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Motivated?!

ROFLMAO... that's hilarious

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No, you fire a coach if he isn't getting the job done. What was the goal for the Rockets this past season? By most accounts(including I believe Morey's), it was the 2nd round and maybe the WCF with a little luck. Instead they lost in the first round in 6 games again and did so to a team that's been exposed by the Spurs as one-dimensional and mentally fragile. And the loss was due to stupid mistakes like ISO ball, shoddy defense, and a lack of execution, things that plagued this team all year.

You only bring back McHale if this team showed signs of progress and you don't want to derail that. But I don't see any progress. We failed to advance any further in the postseason. We failed to close the gap between ourselves and the Spurs, Thunder, and Clippers(and may have just been overtaken by the Blazers). And we failed to fix any of the problems that were staring us in the face all year and came back to bite us in the backside against Portland.

McHale coaching his team in 2014-15 will result in one thing only: an early playoff exit. I'd much rather see Morey and Les admit they were wrong about the guy NOW than in another year when Dwight will already been eyeballing the exit with only a year left on his contract.

19. bmd

bmd Member

lol. It was going good and then went off the rails fast.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yes, that's exactly what Mchale is. If Morey was really serious about hiring a coach it wouldn't be Kevin Mchale. Mchale is probably here because he has a name and can help bring in free agents, he also probably has no problem with Morey telling him what style of ball to play. This is all just speculation ofcourse, but it's the only way a can forgive Morey for such a terrible hire.