1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rockets have beaten any other Playoff team in the West?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 10, 2014.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

With the way the spurs are making the blazers look like a lotto team what does that say about Houston losing to them

If rockets played:
    Vs. spurs: spurs win 4-1
    Vs. OKC: OKC wins 4-1
    Vs. clippers: clippers win 4-0
    Vs. por: POR wins 4-2
    Vs. GS: GS wins 4-2
    Vs. Memphis: Memphis wins 4-2 (possibly 4-1)
    Vs. Mavs: tough one but I think rockets take them in 7

Rockets could be the 7th best team in the west. Pitiful for a team with Dwight, harden, parsons, Asik etc.

2. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Great talent. No system.

3. BlastOff!

BlastOff! Member

Playoffs are more about match-ups then seeding, and the Clippers would not sweep us.

4. YourSecretLover

in terms of match-ups, we lose easily to the spurs, okc, and clippers.

portland already they beat us and memphis has tony allen and marc gasol to slow our stars down.

I think we can win against the golden state and dallas but they have/had better coaches so its a toss up

5. il italiano

il italiano Member

hahaha. we would have beaten Golden State, Memphis, and Dallas.

Got to give Portland a little respect. For an entire half of the season they were the #1 team in the west, finished with the same record as us and miami. This series was very flukey, as in any team really could have one the series, and except for one game (game 2), the rockets were in control of every game except for the final 5 minutes or so.

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Rox were very exposed in the playoffs. With their gimmick system and lack of leadership, coaching, and defense, I could easily see them losing to all the teams that were in the playoffs in the West.

7. New Generation

This. Everyone keeps talking about a team leader, but there isn't really anyone who controls the floor in a way that produces team effort and participation. When you see the Spurs and Clippers play, every single player is consistently shooting high percentage shots, and this constant movement benefits them down the line in the form of players being in the motion of the game. Same with Golden State and most Western teams. I think our real hole likes in a respectable PG that focuses more on running our offense rather than stopping theirs (Not saying that the latter isn't necessary either).

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this ...

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

God I hate our fans.

2 people like this.
  10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not sure why this is still such a big deal. A big part of the NBA is matchups and momentum. You can't just assume the same level of play across the board just because you know the result of one matchup. Portland, especially, showed they can play like the best at times and other times just better than .500 ball....They came in more ready, more motivated, and we thought it was going to be easier.

I can tell you right now theres no way we only win 2 games against GS, for example. They don't have 2 bigs to put on Dwight. O'Neal was hurt at the end, on top of that. Their best player would have gone against Patrick from day one, not against TJ. Their two isn't as good defensively as Matthews. The Sterling situation cost LA at least one game against GS, so they're not even as good as it seemed. Again, momentum.

The only sure losses, I think, are against OKC and LA. Very bad matchups for us.

11. ApuN

ApuN Member

C'mon man enough with the fluke nonsense

We lost almost every fourth quarter in this series. Teams that are poorly coached, don't play defense, do not win in the playoffs.

Every game the Blazers play against the Spurs, shows the Rockets cannot win ANY series against ANY top team in the West.

12. YourSecretLover

man looking at san antonio...what a great system they have. all the rotations are perfect, players moving without the ball very effectively. playing great team/individual defense and keeping portland off the offensive glass. this is how basketball should be played

13. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

The Spurs credit their system, not their players for them winning.
    The Rockets credit Hamilton for saving their ass and their lucky shots.
    Completely different "system".

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So much this

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

We were .9 seconds away from a game 7 at home and completing a 1-3 comeback.. we had the series, questionable calls turned this around..

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Because their defense was so sorry, I can accept the Rockets were probably the 7th best team in the West when the playoffs started.

17. ApuN

ApuN Member

WOW!

A cogent, rational, realistic Clutchfan

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there is a system, but Harden would rather iso-ball.

19. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Once again San Antonio is up by a huge margin. They have 3 old all-stars and a bunch of role players who know their roles.... the difference between them and us? A system and a coach.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Blazers were the best opponent Rockets could ask for and they couldnt even beat them.

This team has no chance against the Spurs, Clippers and the thunder in a seven game series so dont even go there.

Grizzlies would have suffocated the rockets with their defense.

Mavs would have simply out-coached the Rockets.

The only other team the Rockets had a realistic chance of beating was the Warriors. With Bogut injured their interior defense was there to be exploited. However since they payed better defense than the Rockets did, I would say the Warriors would have taken the Rockets out in 7.

Sorry folks. Just keepin' it real.

#20 Zboy, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014