1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get out of my dreams and into my Carr!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by texanskan, May 8, 2014.

1. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I'm not closed to the idea of Derek Carr.

2. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Carr is actually a very intriguing prospect. He definitely has the best arm/mechanics in this draft, and his deep ball is simply incredible.

But the majority of his problems come from playing in a non-pro style offense at Fresno State. He wasn't asked to make difficult intermediate range throws, and he spent the majority of his time dumping down screen passes and hoisting up deep balls.

He'd need time to develop on the bench and learn a completely foreign offensive scheme, but he certainly has potential. And if B'OB is truly a great quarterback coach like so many insist he is, he could work wonders with him. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Carr.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I've followed the Texans since their inception, but was too young to totally understand what I was watching. Did David Carr have football smarts?

I'm asking because after reading about how much the brothers worked together (especially to prevent past mistakes from reoccurring), do you guys feel like David Carr truly helped Derek or is it all smoke + mirrors?

#23 shastarocket, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

we didn't ruin anything. David Carr ruined himself.

Here is a story about Carr in Kubiak's first year. Carr was being chased out of bounds by a defensive linemen. Instead of throwing the ball away to ensure no loss of yardage (he was way outside the pocket), he knowingly walked out of bounds. Why? because he didn't want his completion percentage stats to go down. He would prefer the offensive line get tagged with a sack (its a sack if the QB runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage). Kubiak yelled at him in front of the whole team in the locker room and next year Carr was gone. Ephraim Salaam (Texans offensive linemen that year) told this story on his grantland podcast.

#24 tallanvor, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Wow, that's pretty damning...

Do you think his time with Carolina and NYG changed him for the better? The ESPN article I posted earlier seems to say as much.

6. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

...aaaaaanndd this song is stuck in my head

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

From the espn artilce...

Hell f*** no.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If it's not Carr then I hope we don't take a QB before the 5th round, period.

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

McNair shouldn't have any input on the qb situation. He hired Bill O'Brien to coach this team, and if BO'B thinks Carr is his guy, something that happened a decade ago with his older brother shouldn't matter. Yes, it'll be a PR disaster, yes people on social media will torch the Texans, but none of that should matter.

I personally would like to go with defense again in the 2nd, but I won't freak out and lose my **** like so many other posters here if they go with Carr.

10. Summer Song Giver

I'm gonna say no chance they take Carr, and honestly myself I'm not sure they should. That pick at 33 would only confuse me... I hope they show the Carr draft party reaction if it happen though.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

God NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

DONT GET INTO THE CARR!

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I dont think ive heard anybody related to the Texans front office, even mention Carr's name. There was that one interview with BOB where he mentioned how there isnt much separation from the first three and the rest, then rattled off a bunch of names. Carr was not mentioned.

So it will be very interesting if they take him

13. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

His deep ball accuracy is actually ****ing awful.

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

In my honest opinion I think Derek is the second best quarterback in this class. He is better than Manziel and Blake Bortles. I think Bridgewater and Derek are the best quarterbacks in this draft.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

This Carr is better than the last Carr we had. But David Carr wasn't bad to begin with. He had a ****ty O-line through his whole career here in Houston. And he had no good quarterbacks coach or offensive coordinator to develop him and including the head coach.

16. tada

tada Member

Agreed. Unlike David's old Houston team, we have much better team. Plus we are run first team. As long as Derek doesn't turn the ball over (he doesn't), play action bombs to Andre Johnson, and quick outlet pass (he's really good at making quick passes), he should be golden.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Wow that's crazy.. Pretty much sums all you need to know in one single story. What a piece of *****