1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas vs. California: what happens when liberals are in charge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, May 1, 2014.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sucks for you DeAleck.

Didn't you hear that Texas is on the up and up with Rick Perry doin a bang up job? :rolleyes:

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this thread has a new moderator now.

rule should apply to thread starter and those who argue tx over anywhere else for that matter.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

According to BigTexxx, Google is going to pick up and move to Texas any time now. You guys just got suckered and moved for no reason.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

What are you talking about? I lived for 22 years in Texas

5. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Third day in NorCal - awesome weather, smart people, nice infrastructure, the Golden Gate bridge, stupidly good food...

I'm sure I will scream a little when the tax bill comes. But it's like buying a luxury car, and I'm OK with paying more for it.

So far, I am glad I traded place with Toyota.

6. bongman

bongman Member

Welcome to Cali DeAleck and I am south of you (Lakerland). There's plenty of things to do around there especially if you love the outdoors. Good luck and congratulations man!!

7. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Grew up in Houston and have called San Diego home for the last 10 years.

My AC runs 1 month out of the year in San Diego, as opposed to 6 or 7 in Houston.

Scoreboard?

8. g1184

g1184 Member

Same story, but been in San Diego for 2.5 years only. Monthly electric bill is $25 ... in the summer.

California has it's fair share of issues, but I'd rather be a poor man in heaven than a rich man in hell.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Comparing San Diego to Houston is like comparing Austin to Stockton.

10. SunsRocketsfan

well I think California wins the public University System with the UC schools. UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UC Davis, UCSB... all top public schools.

11. SunsRocketsfan

Agreed...San Diego rules!

Also just an FYI to others on this thread.. San Diego has for the most part been pretty conservative. Only recently has there been a small shift but overall it's considered a conservative city with people south of the 8 freeway being liberal while residents above the 8 are generally conservative.

Irvine on the other hand is heavily republican and is one of the wealthiest areas in So Cal.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tax and rent is killer. The apartment I live in is 3800 a month has 1 bed and bath and is around 700 sq ft. That's probably larger than most mortgage payments in Texas.

At least I'm not paying for it...

I have family in Irvine. It's a nice safe family city but it's nowhere close in wealth to the cities inside Newport Beach. Talk about old money...

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not a Texan.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So your criteria is that only those that currently live in the state are Texans?

15. Bandwagoner

If you aren't at least a third generation native Texan I will be a little suspicious.

22 years is nothing and less than anyone in my family. At some point you have to choose or admit your influences. Rocketsjudoka simultaneously claims Chinese, Minnesotan and Houstonian.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I've lived all around the world throughout my life and have been exposed to many places and cultures. I like to think it makes me a better, well rounded person with a solid world view. But I am very fond of my time in Texas and the state itself. I still have family there and consider it home. So....

Bless your little heart

17. Bandwagoner

I can't argue with that at all. As Marcel Proust wrote "The only true voyage, the only bath in the Fountain of Youth, would be not to visit strange lands but to possess other eyes, to see the universe through the eyes of another, of a hundred others, to see the hundred universes that each of them sees, that each of the is;"

It could very well make you a better person. It doesn't make you a Texan.

Thank you! Although I fear it might be enlarged.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Saying stuff like "Real Texan" is a huge reason why a lot of non-Texans find us annoying.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have made the opposite move... born and lived in California (SF Bay Area) for my first 41 years, and here in Texas since 2000 (my last 14 years). The cost of living is certainly higher there (at least housing) but the total costs are getting closer.

While I like it here (especially the people) I do miss the climate and most of all, the beaches, mountains and rivers.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I've lived in 4 states in my life, 3 by my own will.

9%
    49% Texas
    22%
    20%

i choose Texas as my influential home state.