1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[POSITIVE THINKING] Why keeping McHale is a good thing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

You're insulting Morey then by implying that he's dumb.

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Ohhhh I got another one, he did help both KG/KLove become HOF level talents!!!

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

A good coach would have negated a lot of those things by putting us in a position to not have to rely on ref calls being blown, which happen on both sides, and some missed shots/blown shots. If we had a good enough lead, it wouldn't have mattered... and Hardin may have had a better series if he was coached properly/if we had a system to get him in a flow/get him open instead of iso ball.

1 person likes this.
  4. BleedRocketsRed

Rudy wasn't the X's & O's guy. Rudy wasn't the best strategist. Rudy wasn't a disciplinarian.

It was knowledge of the game which veterans would believe in and cause them to buy into him.

5. Lando19

Lando19 Member

There's no positive side you can spin. Mcfail is am awful coach, & we're keeping him.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Rudy T was a leader of men.

McHale --not even a leader

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not insulting Morey, and I'm not implying that he's dumb. I'm saying he has a lot more knowledge about our coach than you do. You believe McHale is a bad coach, and I think you believe Morey is dumb for not firing him. I get it, you think you know more about what is best for the Rockets than Morey does.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ive said it before in other threads so I really dont feel like repeated it over and over again.

The pro to bringing back McHale is there will be NO CHANGE that could impact the system & style of play that was borderline dominant on the offensive end during the regular season.

Bringing in a seasoned NBA coach does come with risk because you could very well be relinquishing the ability to tell your coach what you want them to do on both ends of the court, or losing partial input into say so of style of play. Another system could be good, but it could fall flat, and cause issues. Either way, there is risk involved.

The good news is we should get a fairly entertaining regular season again with at least the same amount of wins if not improvement by bringing everyone back with a year of experience. I really dont see any way this team could take a step back, and if anything should take a major step forward.

The bad news is the cons of playing this style of play with a coach that isn't a heavy X's and O's strategist like the NBA elite coach could hold this team back once again in the postseason. However its arguable about how much impact McHale really has when both positive and negative in the few instances where his game-calling (or lack thereof) actually impacts winning and losing that particular game.

9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Fire Mchale sorry ass! I hate him

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

I get it, but I am more depressed now. This is all you could get as positive in keeping him?

11. scottie brooks

It matters a little bit. You have to pretty much have a winning season in the West to even sniff the playoffs.

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[this gif is also the response to OP]

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The players can learn or react better because with a less than competent coach, you only have yourselves to depend on in game situations. Was that good?

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Rudy was a pretty damn good coach. And I disagree about him not being a disciplinarian. He knew exactly how to get through to those teams. Two examples stick out in my mind. The first was a game in the 1993-94 regular season at Sacramento. The Rockets were short-handed that night(I forget who was out, but it might've been Dream) and I believe OT and then Maxwell got themselves tossed. Rudy reportedly went apesh-t in the locker room and tore into those guys for allowing themselves to get throw out when they were already missing players. The Rockets came out and completely annihilated the Kings in the 2nd half.

The other example(and there's video evidence of this on Double Clutch) was when the team was all giddy and lackadaisical after their Game 1 win over the Magic in 1995. Rudy basically called them out and told them they were gonna get destroyed by Orlando with that mindset. The Rockets came out that night and absolutely obliterated the Magic and easily won Game 2.

Can you imagine McHale commanding the attention and respect of the Rockets in that way? Look at how they played in that last game in Minnesota late in the season and contrast that with how Rudy got his guys to play.

EDIT: It might've been Carl Herrera who got thrown out of that Kings game and not OT.

#54 count_dough-ku, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  15. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

Also realized that a lot of the team trouble is due to Harden denying orders from McHale and not actually errors the other way around, which really sucks to hear.

16. nepopop

nepopop Member

mchale could use a crane like doctor house. he would look cool and smart.

17. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 38s
    Players supported decision to bring Kevin McHale back, but most did not seem to have considered it in question. McHale was not available.

18. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Would you talk about some of the head coach's coaching?

19. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Isiah Thomas if you insist.

20. BleedRocketsRed

No no he isn't good at that. We need a strong assistant to essentially take care of that.