1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas To Interview Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, May 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Please don't tell me Larry Brown or Jeff Van Gundy are championship material either if this is your measuring stick in selecting a coach. Don't misinterpret my endorsement of Silas. Personally I like Larry Brown if he is interested. Granted Brown's resume exceeds anything Silas has done thus far but if you are measuring Paul based upon his failure to win a ring you will be hard pressed to find a championship coach interested. This is unfair. Silas is a solid interview is all I'm getting at. If all else fails he is an interesting candidate to say the least.

#21 X-PAC, May 30, 2003
    Last edited: May 30, 2003
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

no . . .we want another version of the 76ers
    and their EXCITING brand of basketball

NNNOOOO THEY DON'T ISO . . .
    they just have iverson run in a figure eight
    before he catches the ball and jacks it up

:rolleyes:

Rocket River
    those mighty Xs and Os
    just some LB backlash for ya

3. Toast

Toast Member

I think Silas actually would be a pretty good fit in Houston. We often compare Steve Francis with Baron Davis, and Silas turned Charlotte into a playoff contender. We know he has coaching skills, though I don't know if he necessarily knows how to handle a dominant center.

Just a question of whether he fits in with the organization, I suppose. If you asked me to choose between Silas and Dunleavy, I lean towards Dunleavy, though I wouldn't cry if we ended up with Silas. I'd definitely choose Silas over JVG though.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Paul Silas is YOUNGER then Larry Brown, and Larry Brown has only been to one NBA Finals. And he took a banged up Hornets team as far as he could. Last year they lost in the 2nd round after losing Jamal Mashburn. This year they had a banged up Mashburn and Davis. He did what he could with the talent that he had. I just get the feeling that people see a black guy and start getting antsy for whatever reason.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maybe the NBA has an affirmative action policy like the NFL does, and Silas is the "token black guy" the Rockets have to interview. :)

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You guys who think you know Silas are wrong, check out my sig.

7. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

How can David Aldridge's words be used as supporting materials?
    The world is really changing.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Hmm, who should I trust, people who have never met Paul Silas or sat in on a practice or talked to his players or somebody who has like David Aldridge? There's a reason why he's well respected amongst his peers and people in the NBA. Could somebody please tell me what the knock on Aldridge is? What does he have a bad rep here?

9. x_trepidation_x

Aldridge gets melodramatic at times, expecially when he is writing about Jordan.

10. D-Up

D-Up Member

Larry Brown or Eddie Jordan.

Accept no substitutes Les.

11. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

"Interview tonight..."

May 30, 2003, 3:26PM

Rockets to interview former Hornets coach Silas
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander and general manager Carroll Dawson are scheduled to interview former Hornets coach Paul Silas tonight to discuss the Rockets' coaching vacancy, sources said today.

Silas and former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy, who met with the Rockets on Monday, are finalists for the position with the Cavaliers. But the Cavaliers seemed to be close to a deal to bring Van Gundy to Cleveland.

Reached today, Silas said he would not confirm that there was a meeting scheduled and would not comment on his discussions with Cavaliers officials.

Dawson and Alexander also met with Mike Dunleavy on Monday and with Larry Brown on Tuesday. Like Silas and Van Gundy, both could have other options. Brown reportedly is interested in looking into returning to the Clippers and has been contacted by the Wizards about several positions. Dunleavy is considered the favorite for the position with Atlanta if David McDavid is approved as the Hawks' new owner by the June 15 deadline.

Dawson was not available for comment this afternoon. But Dawson has said that the order of the interviews does not necessarily indicate preferences and that there is no top choice for the position.

Silas, 58, was dismissed by the Hornets immediately after the season despite leading New Orleans to a 47-35 record in an injury-plagued season. Silas, one of the top rebounders in NBA history, had a 208-155 record in five seasons as Hornets coach. Including three seasons as coach of the San Diego Clippers 15 years before he became head coach in Charlotte, he is 286-323 overall.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/1931418

12. man532

man532 Member

I'm proud of my caucasian brothers for pointing out the race issue. I'm skeptical with Les chasing only Brown and Van Gundy. I don't think Larry will be here for the long term, only to pass on some knowledge. The man is 62 freaking years old. His wife is tired of moving and really like the Mailbu area.

The Rockets are similar to the Hornets.

Baron = Steve

Cat = Mashburn (shot attempts only not shooting % or decison making)

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Paul Silas would be good but looks Like it Browns job to lose

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I can see how a black man would want a black coach instead of a white coach. nothing wrong with that. But Its funny to hear black callers on 610 sports throwing names out there like Micheal Cooper, kelvin Sampson(oklahoma), John Thompson, and Kenny Smith, and saying they would rather have one of those guys instead of Larry Brown. I like Silas though, he deserves to be considered as much as Dunleavy and Van Gundy.

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Charles Barkley said he learned more about playing basketball from Paul Silas than any other coach he ever had when they were with the Suns. That would probably idicate that he does a good job teaching and working with big men.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Ask Elden Campbell or DC if he was soft when they came to camp overweight like Taylor and Cato do all the time. Even when DC was playing well, somehow the team didn't win when he played so he was traded. Ask Pat Riley if Silas can coach when they ran his las playoff team out of the gym. Ask Doc rivers what happened when the leading scorer went out in the 1st game of the playoffs. Some peopl have bad perceptions about coaches whom they probably never seen coach. I've been watching the Hornets since league pass came about and the guy is a very good in game adjustment coach. His teams play hard and smart for him and sometimes even injured.He may not have the big name people want, but show me a coach that can get his team to play through all the turmoil and death that he's had to deal with. You can argue about being in the east, but even when Cowens bailed out early, that team still almost made the playoffs. That was through Bobby Phils death, the possible moving and lame duck status they had the yr before and also with Davis missing 30 games thisyr and Mashburn 40 games the yr before. The guy can flat out coach and don't play iso ball either.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

personally i'd take silas before van gundy but definitely not before larry brown.

18. SLA

SLA Member

Yeah. I like him. I like all of them! I'd be kinda satisfied with either Larry Brown, Paul Silas, Jeff Van Gundy, or maybe Mike Dunleavy. They should make the playoffs with any of these coaches....

I saw Silas on TV. He's very very nice. He has known CD for like 36 years. They are kinda close...Silas just said that Houston is the most attractive job...he was like the most open out of all the candidates so far. He's just a bit old.

19. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

May 30, 2003, 10:47PM

Rockets enticing to Silas
    Candidate says job best one available
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets' coaching search Friday moved on to the next top name of free-agent coaches when owner Leslie Alexander and general manager Carroll Dawson met with former Hornets coach Paul Silas in Houston.

Silas, who called the position with the Rockets "the premier job," was the first coach to interview in Houston, touring the Rockets' new downtown arena, offices and training facility with Dawson before meeting with Dawson and Alexander Friday afternoon.

"I've known Paul for 35 years, since he was at Creighton," Dawson said. "It was another good interview. I think it went very well. We talked about a lot of things. It was good."

Silas and former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy, who met with the Rockets on Monday, are the top candidates for the position with the Cavaliers. Sources indicated that the Cavaliers could try to secure a coach by the end of the weekend.

"I think it's the premier job out there," Silas said. "Whoever gets it has the opportunity to really do well. They are really on the right track to do something special.

"I'm not going to say how it went because I don't know. They talked to some people before me. But you got two outstanding players here in Yao Ming and Steve Francis, and you always look for your center and point guard. You have those positions covered and they've filled in very nicely with complementary players."

Dawson said he did not talk with Silas about his other opportunity, and Silas said he did not know when the Cavaliers might make their decision.

Dawson and Alexander also met with Mike Dunleavy on Monday and with Larry Brown on Tuesday.

Like Silas and Van Gundy, both could have other options. Brown reportedly is interested in looking into returning to the Clippers and has been contacted by the Wizards, who fired coach Doug Collins Friday, about several positions. Dunleavy is considered the favorite for the position at Atlanta if David McDavid is approved as the Hawks' new owner by the June 15 deadline.

Dawson has said that the order of the interviews does not necessarily indicate preferences and that there is no top choice for the position. But Dawson said that he and Alexander likely would get together this weekend to assess the process so far and determine whether to hold more interviews or begin the process of choosing and trying to sign one of the coaches that have already interviewed.

Dawson said no other interviews are scheduled.

"We're accessing everything as we go along," Dawson said. "It was a good week. We talked with four good people. We'll probably get together and talk about the next part of the process."

Silas, 58, was dismissed by the Hornets immediately after the season despite leading New Orleans to a 47-35 record in an injury-plagued season.

One of the top rebounders in NBA history, Silas had a 208-155 record in five seasons as Hornets coach. Including three seasons as coach of the San Diego Clippers 15 years before he became head coach in Charlotte, he is 286-323 overall

20. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

It's all good. I'd prefer Brown but the other three candidates are good coaches as well. We'll be very fortunate to land any of them.