1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's on Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Moreyball is not playoff basketball. It looks good on paper, but gets exposed in the postseason. Mchale is a horrible coach with X's & O's, but Morey hired him. Morey traded AB for someone who didn't play in the playoffs. We could've used AB.

2. ColorMeBadd

ColorMeBadd Member

Morey should really try to sign Anthony and trade Parsons while his value is high. I'd probably trade Asik and Lin as well, as long as we can find suitable replacements.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Morey still has work to do with this roster, but we all knew that, this wasn't a championship level team.

But this squad certainly had enough firepower to advance past Portland, we were comically outcoached. Now if you wanna blame Morey for hiring McHale, go ahead, the whole organization deserves blame for this.

Portland averaged 119 PPG in the first 4 games, that's why we lost, not the offense, Morey can't control that.

4. anchel

anchel Member

Coaching matters, my friend.

5. Yellow

Yellow Member

Letting go of Kelvin and trading away AB also came and bit us in the ass.

6. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Until I hear Morey say that he makes the coach do everything that he wants them to do, then I can't blame Morey for this season. He hired McHale before we got our two superstars, and because McFail is a HOFer, he had to give him a chance and see what he could do with our two stars this year.

I would have gotten rid of McFAIL myself at the end of last season and not given him a season with Dwight, but I can understand how Morey decided to give him that shot.

The personal decisions, he made some good ones and some bad ones, but just like shots, you can't make them all perfect. Overall, he got us Harden and Howard, along with some other players that played pretty decent.

Going forward, if they don't fire McFAIL as soon as possible, I think Les should also fire Morey. If he does fire McFAIL, he next coaching decision hire will be his biggest decision so far...barring picking up an actual 3rd star.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, his post isn't clear on that at all.

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Moreyball is fastbreak 3's and layups. Running up & down the court jacking up contested 3's leads to easy baskets for Portland. The inability to run effective half court sets also helped Portland. Mchale is a idiot. But you can make the case Morey thinks he's smarter than he actually is. Our GM's insistence on coaching the team cost us a playoff series

9. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I remember that. McHale impressed the shyt out of Les. In retrospect, I wish Les had hired Casey instead. I love Raptors perimeter defense. He is the best among the 4 finalists.

I am still not impressed by Sampson. Even though he is gone, he still should take the bulk of the blame for our defensive woes for this playoffs. Our PnR defense is one of the worst in the league. Dwight and Jones never hedged on PnR's in the regular season but Asik and DMo hedged most of the time. How can that be? Coaches just letting individual player dictated how PnR's defense was played? I was so confused just by watching them. Imagine what it did to the perimeter defenders?

When Dwight started hedging in game 5, it surprised the hell out of me. He NEVER hedged in the regular season. They had all season to work on the PnR defense with Dwight. Someone on the coaching staff finally getting it after only 86 games that you need to hedge to at least contain PnR's. Dwight looked too clumsy and way too uncomfortable hedging. Too little. Too late!

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I hope people are starting to understand. Morey isn't as smart as he think's he is and people like that can be extremely stubborn and insistent their way is the right way. I'm been starting to have a bad feeling McHale isn't going anywhere either. Morey appears to feel his system is good enough to trump bad coaching and lack of defense. People keep saying the team isn't a finished product, which is true, but the Rox had a failure this year by this embarrassing first round exit. Morey needs to stop getting as many excuses, he's flawed as well and apart of this failure.

11. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

surprise surprise, he found out Milk Hair had Sampson did most of his job DURING the games whole season only after game 2 defeat of the series. certainly not his fault, I mean, how could he know, if Milk Hair not telling him?:rolleyes:

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I agree. My biggest concern is Morey's ego won't allow him to hire a coach that'll demand the team be ran they're way, not Morey's. So in return, we might get another FACE as coach with absolutely no brain. We're not that far from being a contender. All we need is a veteran 2-way coach, solid point guard & decent PF. Morey's ego might be our biggest obstacle

13. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

the extreme gap of performance between his interview and what he really did on court crying for a only reason: he cheated on the interview. he has a history of cheating, who knows weather he got those questions by his office politics skill b4 his interview and had the answers prepared.
    with his disastrous late game decision making and "had Sampson call all the shots in game" drama, it's the only theory in my head.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bull****
    This game came down to execution.

1. Ref's - Nuff Said
    2. The Rockets -Stupid Turnovers, blown layups, stupid ball - they ran off whenever they tried and were efficient .. but no . . . .. they don't focus for 48 minutes
    3. WHICH BRINGS US TO THE COACH!!! Who is suppose to take care of #2

Rocket River

15. logggur

logggur Member

Profound thread.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I seriously fail to see how this is at all Morey's fault. He wasn't the one playing horrendous defense. He wasn't the one over-hedging the PnRs leaving Aldridge open all day.

Our star player was non-existent on offense for 5 games. And then in game 6 he shows up and our defensive philosophy was so bad that the players didn't have a clue what to do on the last play.

You have to realize, he hired McHale before getting Harden and Howard. Then Howard said a big reason he came here was McHale.

There's NO WAY this is on Morey.

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

1) Refs were horrible. Agreed

2) The majority of those turnovers were due to our style of play, Moreyball. You play fast paced shooting contested 3's, forcing layups, you will make turnovers. Morey embraced the turnovers as "how we play".

3) The coach was hired by the GM. The GM has become a celebrity for him being a "genius", and implementing his genius analytics on the team. Moreyball was supposed to be our secret weapon:rolleyes:

Now that it failed us everybody wants to take blame off Morey and put it on the incompetent coach he hired. Not so fast

18. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Yes that is morey ball but the rockets didn't really play that way this series as far as jacking up a bunch of threes our team grew a lot and will be a lot better next season everyone says jones sucks but he is still young and needs to look for his shot more there was not a single game where our stars were all shooting we'll and because of that our coach should have went deeper in his bench to see who would step up like Garcia Monty casspi but he didn't

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Carl with the Captain Obvious post.

The GM should make the team better!!!!

This is his first offseason to make moves to build out the roster and I think he'll do a great job at it. He's got his stars.

20. kastuul

kastuul Member

Morey ball

No Mid-range player -> exposed in playoffs.

D-league young talent -> Not enough experience and locker room leader.