1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should the Rockets target for their Head Coaching position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StripedPajamas, May 3, 2014.

?

Who should coach the Rockets next year?

1. Hollins

33 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. Karl

45 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Sloan

27 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. JVG

83 vote(s)
    31.7%
  5. SVG

32 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Adelman

7 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Other

35 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

not a bad idea. we can form teams and collectively scout and prepare. afterall 2k clutchfan heads are better than 1 head coach right.

2. LandryMegaBeast

**** jerry sloan

3. LandryMegaBeast

if doc rivers decides to leave the clippers then for god sakes please come to houston

4. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Van Gundy brothers and Jerry Sloan.

Voted SVG because not sure if JVG would come back for a 2nd time. Sloan is a bitter option for some on the forum, but he's one of the best option to take care of the business side. P&R and P&R defense, those are the key to this team's success.

And they all have thick playbooks in their hands. I still believe being able to draw up a play to score easier is very important at the end of close games, on the contrary to Morey's observation that coach is not that important.

5. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Harden would sheet his pants if Hollins became our coach.

Can you imagine how many times he would chew harden out for his defense?

6. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

Sam Cassell. Currently an assistant coach for the Wizards who are advancing to the second round. He has three NBA championships and part of the clutch city years. He has shown success as a player and assistant coach. Its time he gets a head coaching position.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think McHale had the right demeanor, I don't think Harden and Howard would respond well to a hardass. We have the right idea IMO, uptempo, not bogged down, but just because you have an uptempo team doesn't mean you have to be completely incompetent in the half court, this team is just so lacking in half-court execution.

Doc would be perfect, but i don't think he's leaving. I don't think JVG, Hollins, and Thibs defense at all costs style would be the best fit for this squad, you have to play to your teams personalities whether you agree with their personalities or not.

Anybody would be an upgrade over McHale, it's often as though this team was playing without a coach. No offensive sets, bad defense, poor matchups.

8. Jet036

Jet036 Member

JVG - I've loved that guy since he first started coaching here. Didn't deserve all the hate.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I don't think the players would respond well if we hired a young college coach like Shaka smart. Calipari ain't leaving Ollie most likely won't leave. I just want a young coach who can grow with this team who the players would like not some old guy. A fresh face as a coach too not JVG. A young coach who will preach defense somebody in the mold of spolestra.

10. coffeelover665

derek fisher is intersted in coaching

11. coffeelover665

Best case scenario. LAC don't sell. Doc leave. We pick him up. bling bling

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Sloan and Karl are old and have their own heads. Both were good coaches, but there is a serious question on how long they would even want to coach - and if they want to coach again at all. Plus they probably wouldn`t want to play Moreyball - I know several people on here see that as a plus, but that makes it unrealistic.

Adelman has retired.

JvG is a great guy - but not a great offensive coach. You didn`t like Adelmans offense, then you are gonna hate JvGs offense. It was basically: give the ball to your stars and see what they can do.

That leaves SvG and Hollins. I´d be ok with both, but I´d prefer Hollins. He did wonders with the Grizzlies, is a pretty good defensive coach but also can run an offense. And he has shown, that he can work well with big guys, so Howard should be happy as well.

But there are always also wildcards - new coaches. Perhaps Mario Elli, perhaps Chris Finch, perhaps a college coach or another assistant? I´d go with Hollins if McHale is fired.

13. Rockfan94

Rockfan94 Member

Seriously? After this series, do you still think Harden is the best SG?

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Yes I do.

15. yinanization

yinanization Member

Is Cassel with Washington? We should totally get him on stuff. You would think he'd be a good HC in a couple of years

16. J Hard

J Hard Member

Hate to poop in everyones cheerios but Im afraid McHales coming back. Morey has him under his thumb because he can tinker with the lineup anyway he so chooses with no resistance because the prenegotiated agreement Maury had with McHale basically makes him his puppet.

Sad because that would mean Morey cares more about getting his way than fielding the best team available on the bench. Sad stuff.

Hollins would never work here because thats a big part of why he was fired because he clashed with the front office who had a similar philosophy of advanced stats, etc.

I dont know the whole story but Hollins is very old school, I just dont see him conforming to Maurys way, would be a power struggle.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

cmon it can't be worse than McHale's

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Unless Morey is prepared to gamble his job on McHale, he'd be wise to go in another direction with the coaching staff. One more first round exit and odds are he won't be the Rockets GM anymore.

19. torocan

torocan Member

Quin Snyder, Jim Boylen, SVG/JVG and Vogel (if he gets fired) would be the ones I'd look at first.

Hollins would be a decent option if he can hammer out something with Morey.

I would like to see us implement a more motion based offense with more aggressive use of the PnR, screens and off the ball movement.

And a coach that actually holds players accountable on Defense (*cough* Harden) and is fundamentally sound in terms of defensive schemes will be critical to succeed in the play offs.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

So many freaking games that the Rockets were in position to win...and yet choked it away...I get that players win games...but if a team is within a possession with the game on the line, a good coach puts his team in the best position to win. And its up to his players to execute...The Blazers executed the play to perfection having a 1st and 2nd option moving. LMA fouled his way to having inside position on Dwight...and Damien Lillard took off running on a simple curl route as soon as he sensed the Rockets perimeter guys didnt know what they were doing.