1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

?

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

1. True

282 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. False

231 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

No, a WIN.

[youtube]86xr7kUxRtQ[/youtube]

Rockets won this game in OT yet Clutch still made it a point to upload this negative video.

2. hollywoodMarine

I guess the only thing I am wondering is what is the goal of this poll? I know Clutch is not making this poll for trolling purposes, or to expose those LOF's or anything... he would never stoop down to that level

But then, what is the purpose then? The poll's results would've never carried legitimacy from the start, as LOF's and Lin skeptics are just going to assume the other side is skewing the results unfairly if they don't go their way.

If the point is to inspire some discussion to properly evaluate Lin's performance so far, that's fair. But why not just make a thread and say "How has Lin performed in his role as offensive spark off the bench in games 1-4? Discuss." Why attach a poll that would be immediately discounted by everyone while also provoking off-topic incendiary remarks like accusations about posters' join dates and which add nothing to the discussion?

So you think this is an elaborate trap?

And are we're generalizing all Lin fans now, not just LOF's? Do I now carry that irrational fanatic label now? :(

----------------
    On topic...

For the record, I vote True. Lin has been inconsistent, did an decent job in games 1 and 3, awful in 2 and 4. Although, I am also not sure what is considered a "great job", as some others have pointed out. What is the criteria exactly, and by what standard do we hold Lin? Does he simply need to be a net positive on offensive and help get the win? If he does not score well but stays aggressive to help break down the defense does that put more weight in favor of him doing a better rather than worse job? Do his assists count? And how many do we expect from him to consider it a great job? Do we consider how well he is doing in his role, in comparison to other Rockets' and how well they're doing in their respective roles so far? Do we give him some slack if others have also struggled a bit offensively also, or are we evaluating him overall?

Caveat: I only watched the 4th quarters and OT's of these games, so feel free to entirely discount my opinion if you think that's a big deal. I admit it may cause me to have a more positive perception of his contributions in games 1 and 3, as he did most of his damage in the 4th and in OT. Though, personally, I feel 5/11 shooting is still 5/11 no matter when you scored those points. It's not like posters who considered Harden's performance yesterday as good care that he did most of his damage late in the game. So what if he struggled in the 1st 3 quarters?

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

You're right.

I thought that was game four.

That's my bad.

However, like what I said earlier, Clutch used that video for his other article --- to prove a point where Lin redeemed himself after that play.

4. hollywoodMarine

The poll doesn't sound as vague, but the podcast did sound like it could be interpreted that way. Not accusing anyone of anything, just that I can understand why some people may have misinterpreted it to mean that.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He didn't show great up until game 5. He was ok in game 1 and 3, a scrub in game 2 and 4 and really good in game 5.

Overall - Definitely TRUE

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great summary. Folks are so defensive and reactive that they are missing an opportunity to actually have a discussion. I knew where this was going the moment I saw the thread title ( the same place certain Lin fans manage to take nearly every GARM thread).

Lin did a phenomenal job changing the pace and tone of the last game. To me, that is what it means to be an offensive spark. His impact was positively felt and led to his first +/- above 0. Other games, he scored here and here, but didn't appear to play with the same confidence he did this last game. I don't think Lin did a "great" job as a spark plug.

Let's hope we get confident Lin in game 6. If Harden isn't gonna wake up, the team will need some Linsanity.

7. 9495

9495 Member

Look at the polling numbers. Does it mean Lin did a great job...?
    If you don't accept the results, why conduct a poll?

8. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

I think the fact Bev was sick and Harden not playing well contributed him being the spark and having the ball in his hands. Just like Harden, Lin needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Look at the games where Harden couldn't play and you can see Lin stepping up.

Lin is a scrub as a corner catch and shoot player but his game suddenly elevates when he is the primary ball handler.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

And folks who are claiming he came up big in game 3 because of his save and pass to Daniels in OT....

You guys do realize that if it had not been because of Lin, there would not have been a OT to begin with, right?

Lin has made three massive blunders at the end of three separate games.

1) Called a timeout when he didnt need to (Game 1 or 2?). He heard it from Bev for that.

2) Made a terrible decision with the ball during regulation which allowed Batum to hit a 3 on counter and send the game to OT. This game should have never gone to OT. Then dribbled the ball off his foot in OT.

3) The infamous turnover which led to Mo Williams 3.

Keep in mind, this is a PG.

#169 Zboy, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Fascinating point. So we erase Lin from the entirety of game three and put in who? Daniels playing PG? He's a really good shooter, but I don't think that would have worked.

11. sew

sew Member

If Harden had put in a little more effort on defense, there would not have been an OT.

See how silly these statements are? A lot of **** happened that contributed to that game going into OT.

12. conquistador#11

it wasn't only his save and pass but the only one other than daniels that could score in o.t. You might want to replay all the possessions prior to that blown lay up. It was a team collapse.

13. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Might as well set this poll to be an open poll...

True Rockets fans should not vote in this poll. We are now 2-3 so the ENTIRE Rockets team had not done a great job in this series, what's the point to single out Lin? Kid gave all he has on the court so he made a costly mistake and he admitted it. He took the blame and when given significant minutes and the basketball in game 5, he delivered and helped the team to pull out one of the must-wins. Of all the rumors and reports, you thought Lin wouldn't know that every remaining games in this playoff would likely be the last game he played as a Rocket? And the kid still played hard and gave his all on the court, I honestly don't get why any genuine Rockets fan would throw the kid under the bus like this.

14. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

I vote true.
    Jeremy Lins needs to be more aggressive.

I hate this nice Lin version. 6th man must have big balls, and play like there is no tomorrow. After all, he was playing limited minutes, what was there to conserve?

He can be a nice person outside but once on the floor, he must transform into the beast. Otherwise, he will be bogged down by too many indecisions and hesitations which will cost Rockets the game at crucial time.

15. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Thanks. Glad that I'm a true Rockets fan. :grin:

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I stopped reading the 9+ pages that this had grown to when I got to your post, The_Yoyo. I look at Jeremy during this series the same way, I think, that you do. He is inconsistent. I'm thrilled when he has a good game, like the game last night, but he is rarely consistent for a good stretch of games, and we need him to be. Jeremy isn't an offensive spark that the Rockets can count on. I keep hoping Jeremy will fill that role for more than a game here, and a game there, so we'll see what Friday brings.

Oh, and unless I'm mistaken, this thread is about Jeremy. It isn't about the other members of the team, who all have issues of their own, in one fashion or another.

#176 Deckard, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. munsteur

munsteur Member

This is a poor thread, to say the least. I mean, what is the point of this thread? To instigate something or to prove a point?

18. hollywoodMarine

Nothing wrong with having a discussion. Just personally felt the poll may have been unnecessary/incendiary, and no one was going to accept the results in the first place, so what's the point?

The problem with using +/- partially as a gauge for his contributions as a spark... Lin had a higher +/- than the other starters in game 4, but I don't think anyone thinks that he contributed more positively than them that game. You don't think game 3 was considered a "spark"? Or game 1? I agree he was bad in 2 and 4, and the inconsistency is why I vote true.

The problem is we have to come to an agreement what a "great job" as a spark is. I've heard that term used in reference to other bench players who do not even score that much, but given Lin is not exactly paid bench money, I understand that the standard is much higher. I am just unclear what exactly that is. Where do we draw the line per 36 wise, or FG% wise, etc. If we base on what we feel it would be easier to not be objective (as a Lin fan, I may be more likely to "feel" he did a great job in one scenario, whereas others may not feel the same). So we have to come to an agreement on that first

19. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

not sure what the purpose of this thread is:

1. we already know that lin has not really been the offensive spark off the bench we thought he should be...
    2. it is definitely not trying to convince anyone about what we thought of lin specially the LOFs. we have had lin for the past 2 years and we know that we are not going to convince anyone otherwise.

the only possibilities I see are:
    1. trolling LOFs
    2. trolling Rocketfans
    3. Clutch has gone bonkers.

20. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Thank you G-le.

Not because you spoke for Lin, but because you have provided a broader international perspective for fans with a broader mind.

Seeing that the NBA board has been doing everything they can to make the NBA games an entertainment product for the global market, and all the team owners, sponsors and many players have enjoyed the benefits as a result, I have been wondering why there are still so much hate or racism targeted at certain players or their fans based on narrow regional or individual mentality.
    Why can't they disagree without being so disagreeable?

NBA players are just like movie actors/actresses. Would fans of a certain actor/actress express so much hate toward another actor/actress that they are not a fan of?

What puzzled me even more is why an Internet-based forum with tens of thousands of members from dozens of countries can't or won't stay neutral for every one. What benefits would they reap by alienating their members?