1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight invoking Linsanity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Terry Teagle, May 1, 2014.

1. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

The subtext to this statement from Dwight is that for the first time that I can recall, Dwight is openly campaigning for Lin to have more extended minutes on the floor to run the offense. This will probably cause issues between Howard and Harden, but with the team facing elimination, Dwight doesn't seem to care if James Harden's feelings get hurt.

Part of Jeremy Lin's perceived caution at times is that he knows that the coaching staff doesn't fully support him. Even in the post game press conference, the Portland team (Matthews, Lillard and Stotts) were openly and almost matter of factly crediting Lin with being the difference maker in the game. McHale, in contrast, gave a sort of perfunctory statement of support (like, 'yeah i've got to give him some credit because the press is expecting me too, but i don't really want to dwell on it').

Jeremy Lin also knows that after his experience with Carmelo Anthony to not step on the shadow of the team's superstar, James Harden. Melo was intimidated by Lin's popularity and brand power, and didn't like it when he would take control of the ball and move it to Chandler, Amare or a wing shooter to get what he thought was the best available shot. As this first round has progressed, Howard has become more convinced that James Harden can't win this Portland series for them, but he thinks that Lin might be a difference maker.

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

Dwight sounds like an LOF to me. Only cares about Lin's stats and not the game. Dwight must be Asian too.

2 people like this.
  3. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

I maintain that in Game 2 had Lin been given the same number of minutes he had in Game 5, Dwight Howard might never have cooled off and Houston could've won the game. Lin has been great at getting the ball to Howard and Asik in positions where each can attack the defense. Howard seems to be openly acknowledging this.

4. infinite-loop

infinite-loop Member

Touche!

5. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

A candidate for comment of the year. LOL.

6. conquistador#11

or he just wants lin in full attack mode because it would be embarrassing for him to lose in the first round. Probably thinking, " I might as well have stayed in LA for this sh..stuff."

7. infinite-loop

infinite-loop Member

This one comment captures the essence of most the CF threads on Lin.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Said it a couple years ago when the initial influx started and I will say it again now, some Lin fans absolutely live off looking for and pulling out soap opera like drama out of EVERYTHING.

9. damnbiochem

damnbiochem Member

yeah but there's always some ppl who are looking for drama.

i think its nice that dwight is encouraging him though. seems like dwight is an awesome teammate. dunno why ppl claimed he was awful lockerroom presence.

10. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Nah. We need Dwight to invoke his leadership. Very easy to forget how young harden and Lin are. Both are caving to the pressure of the playoffs. We need both to play their hearts out if we are to come back from a 3-1 hole and that means instilling trust and confidence in their games. Very happy with Dwight on and off the court.

11. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Not sure if serious... where are you reading into all of this from?

Not sure where you got so much insight into DH's mind. Maybe he is just encouraging his inconsistent teammate and wants him to have confidence so he plays better.

McHale didn't get too down on Lin when he played terrible in game 4 and he didn't get too high after this win. He knows there is still an uphill battle.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

After seeing Dwight play his heart out for us...it is clearly evident that Dwight loves this team, and the situation he is in. And it makes me smile to think we stole him from the Lakers...Eat dog ish LA...#ClutchCity2.0

Win or lose in Game 6, getting Dwight was absolutely the right decision and its time for James to check his ego and work together with him for more post season success.

13. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Sounds like a LOF crazy to me, pls ban Dwight mod crew.

In all seriousness, this is great of Dwight. Now he needs to sit down with Harden and discourage him from playing like a such a mangina in the 1st round.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Dwight must have read my posts. He agrees with me that Lin's biggest problem is confidence.

15. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Dwight knows basketball and the difference between easy offense and slog out offense. He's the one doing the grunt work on offense in the low post. And he see that Lin operating at the top of the key is an easy way to bust the defense open and get someone an open shot - the half court set becomes free flowing. Why we haven't seen more of this this season is still a mystery.

16. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Think about it. Do you hear Durant saying Reggie Jackson needs to play amazing? Are the Clippers saying Collison is the key?

Dwight and Harden seemed like they had some beef last night, their body language was odd. Howard campaigning for Lin could be the source of it.

17. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

I think you're right. Howard has a sense of urgency about these playoffs and I don't think he believes Harden has played with that same determination. He sees things slipping away so he's trying to look at different options and also ways to motivate Harden.

18. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

First I thought this was a thread about Dwight showing leadership qualities...just like that it because a Lin topic.

19. SHARKLIN-SOUP

SHARKLIN-SOUP Member

Its great that Dwight can help his team mates get better by just reminding them how they should be playing!

20. cbk41

cbk41 Member

You are not a professional athlete for a reason. You cannot get into the heads of the player dynamics and call the shots with your analysis. All that melodrama (no pun intended) belongs in NYC, not here.

The NBA keeping Lin down is complete psychotic, self-serving argument. The development of his skills, and his own self-confidence reflected from the burden of his own fans expectations is what contributes to most of his failures. When he was fighting for a spot on the couch, he was lights out.

1 person likes this.