1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

?

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

1. True

282 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. False

231 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

this will go well.

1 person likes this.
  2. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

He has been a solid offensive spark throughout the series. Until game 5, he just didn't have the sustained minutes to preserve working leads for the Rockets.

He was a positive difference maker in Game 1, Game 3 and Game 5. He made a critical error in Game 4.

3. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

hahaha - too funny

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

Too vague. What's the definition of an "offensive" spark? I think he did a pretty good job of creating offense for the bench. If the definition of an "offensive" spark is to score a ton, then obviously Lin didn't do as well.

5. langal

langal Contributing Member

tinman - relax. Your antics are getting annoying. There has been little to no LOF crap going on beyond blatant trolling. You are a 99er and should hold yourself to a higher standard than the like of Jocar. Hakeem would hold himself to a higher standard.

Does Clutch just have some auto-ban linked to the "FALSE" option?

Revenge poll ideas...

Has (Harden/Pat Beverley) contributed in a meaningful way this series?

Is Wes Matthews a better basketball player than James Harden?

Has Pat Beverley scored a basket since March?

1 person likes this.
  6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I thought game 1 and 3 were good, game 4 was bad.

He did have a good OT in game 1 and 3, so I voted yes.

Game 5 was obviously his best game in this series.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Read my answer, where did I say "great job"?

I said he can be accepted as a sparking plug due to his 50% performance. Sparking plugs are suppose to be inconsistent, or they would be starters. Can Lin do better job? of course! He's not a great sparking plug. But his performance is acceptable as a single sparking plug, given how the rest of team performed aside from Dwight.

8. torocan

torocan Member

Great? No. Adequate? Yes.

Game 1/3/5 were all solid to very good. Game 2 was sub-par. Game 4 was awful.

Really no different than everyone else on the team not named Dwight, Beverley (defensively) and Daniels.

9. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I am relatively happy with Lin's first 4 games. It's unfortunate that his 2 biggest mistakes happened during critical plays. Lin was judged harshly and unfairly for them.

I voted False taking into consideration that Lin is now a bench player. I would have voted Yes if he was a starter.

10. G-le

G-le New Member

Hello mr. Clutch
    before I start blasting and cursing at you, and your basketball ignorance, just let me tell you that I do appreciate your effort for putting this board up, and running it all this years.

I would be what you call around here a LOF. I despise that description, but its a starting point for what I am about to say. Since NBA is much more of a show than its a sport, I have always followed it that way. Before Lin, it was Stojakovic. Before that is was Kukoc. Before Kukoc started playing in NBA, it was Divac. I am from Macedonia, part of ex Yugoslavia, so there is the connection. My favorite player is probably Magic. I am white (caucasian), educated, communist(meaning all people are equal and there is no GOD or any other imaginary friends). I have watched basketball in enormous quantities since I have been 5 (thats the age from which I can recollect having games watched- italians braking the leg of Kicanovic). Thats 1981. I have seen so many players being a young rookies, that are now coaches. Jason Kid being just an example. Robinson, the Admiral. Your own Sam Cassell . To follow the games, I have bought countless magazines, listen to radio, internet radio, read box scores and play by plays. I have watched countless number of games, real time. That means, staying up from 1am till 7am for the pacific games. And working the next day. So, do have a perspective how much I love the game.
    And, my favorite player in the moment is Lin. I don`t care if he is Asian. I don`t care about his faith. I think its cute he was at Hardvard, because your country is so racist that no one believed he is good enough player for the big universities, despite him having great high school career. Being undrafted.

What I do care about is, the way he plays the game. He hustles. He cares. He has good personality on court. He looks for the high percentage shot, either for him or whomever is open. He can spark that craziness where the team just has more energy and explodes offensively. Where everyone hustles on D.

Harden is nice player, watched him since his OKC days, very efficient(this series notwithstanding). He just doesn`t have that star quality that Lin has. James is the better shooter. He is stronger. He is not selfish. He just cant energize a team the way Lin can. The way Kukoc could. The way Magic could.

I laugh out loud, for all you Dragic lovers. You ignorant pricks. He is from Slovenia, also ex Yugoslavia. Naturally I am biased for all ex yu. He is good player, had great season. But he never ever was a star, who could carry a team. I have watched him a lot, and he never was that special. You have to understand, Yugoslavia had some of the best players of ALL times, so we have pretty high standards. But what would you all know, the great US of A. You have the title of world champion for the nba title, ffs. Thats as ignorant and incorrect as one can get.

So, you and lot of your texas rednecks don`t like Lin? Fine, what can one do about that. He will have to go to one of the bigger cities, multicultural ones, like nyc, boston, la or similar to have a fair chance. But, the stupidity of not seeing that this teams plays it best basketball when he is running the show is beyond belief. The inability to accept that Lin is your most popular player worldwide, and its not all about his race or beliefs ...
    And I don`t hate Beverley, I don`t hate Harden, nor any other rocket player. I love them.
    Basketball is team sport, and since Lin plays here, I am by definition a rockets fan. I just have different view how basketball should be played. It involves playing defense, playing for the best percentage shot, it doesn`t involve ISO or pure streetball stupidity. It has more boxing out, more picks, less stepbacks. You know, like the spurs play for 20 years ...

And, finally, back to the turnover. It was the right play. You can call timeout, but trying to get on versus unprepared defense has it merits. In the situation, walking the ball out was probably the best option. He got unlucky, Mo Williams made TERRIFIC defensive play. Steal from behind, out of bounds save(or not), the pump fake and the 3. It happens. At the end of the day, its just one play. So many turnovers, so many missed shots and free trows. Blaming Lin makes you petty and shortsighted, nothing else. You win games, series, and championships based on good coaching, good strategic decisions, and at the moment thats not whats happening with the rockets. Its not Lins turnover, or Beverleys, or Hardens. One play doesnt decide anything.
    Its not playing PNR till everyone dies of boredom. Lin, Harden, Howard have best, BEST stats on that play. I would run it till the end of times. Everything else should be optional and for diversification.
    And, defense. I dont care how good James is on offense, if he is not playing D, he should sit and rest. PERIOD! If he can play two way for only 20 min, thats how much he should play.

7 people like this.
  11. rev1274

rev1274 Member

All I can say is that Clutch is a LOH.

12. dookiester

dookiester Member

Man, Lin's presence on the team has even dragged down the quality of Clutch's posts. Jeremy's definitely struggled in this series, but he's not even one of the biggest reasons the Rockets find themselves trailing in this series. Why does this poll even exist? Of all the players to single out, why single out a bench player who has had inconsistent performances (as most bench players do), but has brought consistent effort and has a significant hand in contributing to the only 2 wins this team has? Is it just in retaliation against LOFs? Sad. I'd understand if our stars were bringing their A-game and a deficient bench was the main reason for the team's struggles...but it's been a collective disappointment and a collective effort to recover from that disappointment. The only player I can honestly say has been a disappointment all series long is James Harden, and I think everyone on here is rooting for and expecting him to break out of his slump sooner rather than later. Jeremy has not been as consistent of a no-show and yet people booed him at a home game (disgraceful) and are actively rooting for him to fail.

I want all of our players to play better. And I think all of them have tried to do that. I still believe James will turn things around but so far he's the one most deserving of criticism, and it is his play that has had and will have the most impact on this team's success or failure.

2 people like this.
  13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am surprised no one has posted Lin's game by game playoff numbers? Seems a good way to argue over the question.

14. rev1274

rev1274 Member

They are giving a pass on Harden because.

1. He's too young :rolleyes:
    2. His regular season numbers. :rolleyes:

15. guanwangzhe

guanwangzhe Member

Lol, Clutch must made a lot of money from advertisement inside of each and every Jeremy Lin's thread. Because Lin's threads generated most clicks. Is that True or False?::rolleyes: Keep making new Lin thread!

16. dookiester

dookiester Member

And before Clutch chimes in here with 'this isn't a criticism of Lin' or 'only LOFs would vote false' - I'll vote true, he hasn't done a great job. But the question is why isn't there a poll about all the other obvious things about players who aren't doing something they should be doing?

Where's the poll for "James Harden hasn't done a great job being effective on either end of the floor, true or false"?

Where's the poll for "Asik hasn't done a great job of finishing at the rim, true or false"?

Where's the poll for "Dwight Howard is the only starter who has consistently played well this series, true or false"?

All obvious questions with obvious answers. Do they really need to be asked? I've seen Clutch post on here about how he's not biased and the only bias is from Lin fans...that notion is pretty laughable at this point. And this is coming from someone who was cursing Lin's existence at the end of Game 4.

17. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Jeremy has played great 3 games, what is even the point of this forced thread idea? and from someone who supposedly hates all the Jeremy threads.

But anything to deflect any attention from the consistent garbage performance from one of your stars as he builds a brick mansion and gets used like a w**** on defense I guess.

1 person likes this.
  18. dookiester

dookiester Member

You know you've posted a real dud of a thread when Tinman enthusiastically endorses it.

1 person likes this.
  19. rev1274

rev1274 Member

Disagree with you sir on the top part.

He's stripped from being a starter. He's not suppose to be the main core to run the offense because Beverly is the starting PG.

Lin does his role as being a Bench player.

Bev does not do a good job being an offensive spark this series. *YET HE'S A GOOD DEFENDER*

And Harden has done nothing.

20. munco

munco Member

what's up with Clutch trollin/going at Lin so often? Is it for traffic and pageviews? Yeah it's his site, but at this point it seems a bit unprofessional since this is basically the official Rockets site

3 people like this.