1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking Forward: Game 5 adjustments

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SooneRockStro, Apr 28, 2014.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Honestly, the biggest problem offensively is that we're even having to play in the half-court. In the regular season we scored way more in transition than we have in the playoffs, at least it seems that way. We've got to find a way to get out and run, whether it be better defense, or just being more opportunistic. The Rockets have also blown so many fastbreaks. Seriously irritating.

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

The only adjustment that will help us win is to switch the National broadcast to ESPN. THe rockets are 3 - 9 This year when playing on TNT. I dont get it, but they absolutley stink when playing on TNT!!!

Nov 7 @Lakers L
    Nov 14 @ Knicks W
    Dec 12 @ Blazers L
    Dec 26 Memphis W
    Jan 16 @ OKC L
    Feb 20 @ GS L
    Mar 13 @ Chi L
    Apr 1 @ NETS L
    Apr 8 @ Lak W
    Apr 20 Blazers L
    Apr 23 Blazers L
    Apr 27 Blazers L

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Hopefully Milk Hair's adjustments work tomorrow night...

4. Jimes

Jimes Member

Posted this yesterday in one of the threads that got buried:

Our game plan lately has been pretty solid overall now that we've used more TT and Daniels. No need for huge adjustments, just tweak our offensive portfolio. Get a few more plays called for Daniels, CP driving aggressively all game instead of just one half, more Harden/DH pick and roll, TJones only in when Aldridge is out so he doesn't have to guard Aldridge or Lopez, a bit less DH post-up (and less of the swooping right hand hook; how about an up and under?). If one of Bev, Harden, or Lin can hit a few more open 3's, Lin finishes better around the basket, we can finally have a comfortable game.

On D, I'm not thrilled with how we are defending the Lillard/Aldridge PnR with a quick hedge since Lillard is always able to hit Aldridge with a pass either open near the elbow or on that freaking delayed roll which generally leads to a dunk. If it's a pass to the elbow, Aldridge either shoots the open jumper or passes to an open 3 point shooter if help comes. The current scheme may be the lesser of other evils like not hedging at all and letting Lillard drive, or going under the screen and letting him shoot the 3. However, if TT is in, I would switch it to not hedge and let the other big help out in the lane.

Also, we tend to get burned on switches on screens for anyone else (e.g. Batum shooting 3's over Asik or DH). I would test their ball-handling and passing skills by using a bit harder hedge on any combination except Lillard/Aldridge.

Finally, I may be overstating this one, but it seems like in iso-situations up top on D, we're giving up too many easy drives toward the right which is the strong hand for all of the Blazers. I have visions of Lillard and Batum driving straight to the hoop a lot.

Although I'm admittedly an optimist, I think we have a decent chance to win this series as we've stunk up the freaking joint. I just hope it's not a sign of fatigue, but this is a young team, so I suspect we just haven't been able to put together a complete game for whatever reason.

5. DocRock

DocRock Member

If Harden plays defense, we win these by 7 or 8 points instead of dealing with late collapses and OTs.

6. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I was thinking about this the other day as well. I think that perhaps giving more minutes to some of the bench players would have several benefits. For one, it will allow the starters more rest so they have more energy to push the tempo and play the same style of basketball that got us here. I would also wager that this team shoots better when they are not completely worn out. In addition, this team has often ridden the hot hand in games throughout the season, and having fewer players in the rotation reduces the number of guys who can get hot during the game. Now, I'm not advocating that we give Casspi 20 min/game or anything, but we do have some streaky shooters who have the ability to light it up any given game. Why not run a few of them out there for a couple of minutes to see if someone can catch fire? At this point in the series, I think this team needs to be thinking outside the box for solutions... the rockets don't run a traditional, old-school offense so why keep using a traditional, old-school philosophy regarding the playoff rotation? Anyways, just a thought.

7. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

You have to play defense to get a fast break going. Taking the ball from out of bounds is the best defense against the fast break.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You could substitute many different things for why the Rockets would have won those games. Either way...the Rockets have mastered the art of the choke.

9. Soft Takes

Soft Takes Rookie

Essentially we sit harden replace him with lin we'll be ok and should have an easy win. Get some ball movement/defense/heart from our sg would be awesome. Harden could get limited minutes to give Daniels a breather off the bench

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Here is the adjustments I feel need to be made. If some of them seems like a knee-jerk reaction or overly excessive, it is because I do not believe in "staying the course" when we are down 1-3.

1. Have Harden come off the bench. The guy is either tired, checked out, frustrated to the point of uselessness, or some combination of both. Bench him and let him know his efforts have been completely unacceptable and at this time, he needs to earn his way back. This is the playoffs son!

2. Play Garcia anytime Harden is on the floor. Parsons D has regressed where he is no longer even a good perimeter defender. Solid would be praise actually. Hopefully this will light a fire under his ass.

3. Play Troy more! Outside of Howard, Troy Daniels has been arguably our best player. He appears to be always be cool under pressure and he can typically hit his shot. Let the young kid show us what he's got. We already know what we are getting from Harden and Lin and it hasn't been good.

4. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP PLAYING LIN! Bench this idiot until he stops wearing Rockets red. Every time he does anything on the court, it feels like he is going to screw everything up.

5. Play D-Mo at PF more. He maybe a scrub, but he is still tall and quick. It is obvious that T-Jones is not able to get anything going at all this series.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets are getting killed with small lineup of Dwight, Parsons, Harden, Lin, and Beverly or Daniels in: -22 points in 24 minutes.</p>&mdash; wayne winston (@winston3453) <a href="https://twitter.com/winston3453/statuses/460814060313784322">April 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets two best lineups all year: Asik, Monti, Parsons, Lin and Harden; Dwight, Monti, Parsons, Harden, and Beverly. Why not try them?</p>&mdash; wayne winston (@winston3453) <a href="https://twitter.com/winston3453/statuses/460889029672595457">April 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    C'mon, Moneyball and metrics!!

Edit - McHale just said on Charlie's show that he never felt comfortable with the prospect of running DMo out on LMA this series. Weird... felt good enough to stick him on Dirk, but not LMA.

#31 desihooper, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  12. wise_man

wise_man Member

Less of lin and more of daniels. ....daniels need to take atleast 15 shots.

13. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

I agree with much of this analysis. Simply put, the Rockets can look at the data from the last 4 games and look at where they have held leads and do more of those things and less of the stuff that causes them to fall behind or lose leads.

In addition to what you added, I would increase Lin's minutes earlier in the game. Lin has been very good running the offense in each of his first half stints in all 4 games. They should put him in for longer because it will help build margins and force Portland to play from behind. Beverley could also use the rest (he is clearly not 100%) and maybe Beverley at 24 minutes might be a better fit defensively in the 4th quarter which is when you would need him. Beverley has had nothing in the tank in the 4th quarter of the last 2 games. Lin is getting the job done defensively as his rebounds are up and he's battling without committing too many fouls.

14. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Hahahahahahahahah

Sorry. This thread name made me laugh out loud uncontrollably imagining McHale making an adjustment.

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I want more Daniels too...but honestly last game there was about a ten minute span when he was on the court with our starters and he barely even touched it. If Mchale is capable, we need to draw up some plays where we can get him open for some 3s. Cause there's no doubt in my mind he'll make it if he's open.

But otherwise, I dont see the point in playing Daniels extended minutes if we don't even use his deadly 3 point shooting ability. I'd rather get some more defense out there then

16. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Milk Hair finally brings a box of tissues to the game after he realises the ball had been sticky for the last 2 seasons.

17. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Portland's strategy is very clear...
    Attack Houston's weakest defender... Haren
    Find Aldridge for post-ups, make Houston stop him.

Houston's strategy...
    Give it to Dwight in the post??? Head scratcher.
    Lin Harden PnR to get switch and let Harden go ISO one on one???!!! NO MORE ISOs!!!!

MILK HAIR FAILS

FIRE MILK HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

18. The Jabberwock

Hi Wayne!

What stat did you use to determine these were the best lineups?
    And what lineups did you include in the check? (Any filter?)
    Can you send a link to the ranking/grading you cite here?

Thanks!

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

Only one thing should really be set at this point.......the starters are Bev, Harden, Parsons, Asik, and Howard. That lineup has done what it was intended to do.

Everything else is open to debate. Why not give DMo a shot?

20. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Unbelievable that he would feel that way about DMO but not TJ. All season long even the average fan could see that DMO is a superior defendera and rebounder. TJ's strong suit is offense, but his terrible defense more than overcame any goodwill he built up on offense. Dude has a lot to improve on. In fact, I think it may be a good time to sell high on TJ, assuming his stock value hasn't been greatly affected by his terrible defense in this series. I'd trade him and try to attach Lin to the trade. Maybe you can weasel a 1st rounder out of someone.