1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' front office instructs players not to comment on Donald Sterling situation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Apr 26, 2014.

1. izeroi

izeroi Member

DING DING DING!!

Yes, we all know Sterling has had some issues with racism in the past but there has been NO confirmation yet that it is truly him on the tape. Why jump the gun and start bashing him without being 100% sure and possibly look like a moron for making the comments? Chances are high that it is him, but I'd rather be 100% certain before opening my mouth.

Good job by Rockets front office took keep this sealed and focus on our next game.

2. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

This whole situation is bizarre. Dude has a wife and a black GF but tells her he hates black people.

3. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Let our players focus on our series.

4. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

smart decision. you don't want the nba slapping down suspensions or punishments on our players that will take them off their game mentally.

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Yeah, but you should see some of my photoshop work.

All I'm saying is that in this day and age, one better be damn sure when you start pointing fingers.

6. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

It's a prudent decision but not necessarily the right one. Racism is an issue that far outweighs a basketball game.

7. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Mum is the best act to do, silence is golden. Innocent until proven guilty. Even adam silver doesn't jump to a conclusion n slap sterling with a fine or other punishment yet, why should we?

I know racism is the taboo subject in every societies but please see the bigger picture. Sterling is still having a trial case in court n the plaintiff may be looking all options to make him look bad n gain any advantages. Isn't it so coincidental he was being tapped by a tape recorder? What are the chances? Isn't this unusual? Maybe he was provoked by the girlfriend, knowing his button is his hatred toward the black? Lets be fair, if every households in america is being tapped, i strongly believe at least 70% people would make racist remarks one way or another. Sterling is no saints so are all of us.

Race is also a sensitive subjects, an easier way to burn bridges, between co workers, between families, friends or communities. It also gets u to win legal cases, gets u promoted, or win debates. It becomes a cliche jab to stir differences n cause uncomfortable atmosphere.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>While many add disclaimer that thoughts are pending investigation of Sterling tape, would owners be commenting if were any doubt? They know</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/460458949729189890">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. quizone

quizone Member

Not surprised. Most managements are just as shady as the stirling.

1 person likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Like I said before, the Rockets are most likely just suggesting that the players would be smart not to talk rather than ordering them not to do so.

The concern is most likely that one of the young guys would say something rash and possibly offensive because he is angry at the Sterling situation. You probably don't want your player's rash comment to become a part of the story rather than just let the thing play out.

11. MONON

MONON Member

Commenting on something this controversial before all the facts are known is just asking for trouble. Yes Sterling has a history & reputation for such shenanigans. However I have 2 problems with the tape: 1. Why would he say this over the phone rather than in a private personal setting & 2. Why was she taping their personal phone conversations in the 1st place.

I personally abhor the sentiments contained on the tapes. But 1st, make sure the tape hasn't been tampered with & it is indeed Sterling on the tape. Then shout your feelings/opinions to the high Heavens, after you have vanquished the Blazers!

12. houtown

houtown Member

I am not sure what you suggesting with "cliche jab" but i think contrary to the so called thought that silence is golden. If anything, Sterling deserves to be criticized for what he said by people who have clout within the NBA. Better than some fine. Race is uncomfortable and sensitive because some people have to confront themselves and they make it that way. Doesn't mean silence is golden. If anything, silence perpetuates racism. The so called "investigation" could be to buy some time to suppress the issue until its less of an issue. I think it's more than likely that this was Don Sterling on the phone. Everyone knows.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Talked with Rockets owner Leslie Alexander. He said he wanted to speak with Adam Silver before commenting on Sterling situation.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/460478392211492864">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. bmd

bmd Member

I agree with that.

15. Play07

Play07 Member

@sam_amick

Players react with outrage to Donald Sterling situation. From LeBron James to Omri Casspi, and so many in between - http://t.co/eM89jmFwOA

16. bmd

bmd Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Howard signed with Hou in part because of Les Alexander. I asked what will happen when FAs hear from Clips. Said players must overcome hate.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/460499522762723329">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I think Howard was speaking on behalf of current Clippers players. Other Rockets players declined comment.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/460499837541031937">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Howard: &quot;There's a lot of hate going around in this world. It’s not just from him. We have to find ways to get through it, love each other.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/460500570550579200">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Then there's the Jason Friedman effect. The Rockets' are fine-weary.

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

1) this has nothing to do with us
    2) it will only serve as a distraction

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>JVG on teams telling players not to speak on Sterling: &quot;Are you kidding me? You're a grown man. Speak up &amp; stand up for what you believe.&quot;</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/460508447889715200">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>