1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Rockets are getting absolutely jobbed by the referees against the Blazers. With statistics!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Apr 26, 2014.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Is it possible that Portland, over the past 3 games, knows this trend too and are consciously being more aggressive by driving and/or playing a more inside out game? With them being a top 3 FT shooting team wouldn't they look to get Houston in foul trouble early?

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

There was a sequence late in the game right before Mo Williams 4 point play, Batum runs into Harden on his jump shot no call. On the next play Parsons does the same thing, they call it.

3. bmd

bmd Member

But if Harden isn't getting foul calls and it's causing him to miss shots because he's fouled, those misses cause his field goal attempts to go up.

Over 3 games, it's very likely he's been fouled 6 times more than they've called.

4. bmd

bmd Member

I remember that and I was complaining as it happened lol.

5. bmd

bmd Member

They aren't a top 3 FT shooting team... they were ranked #13.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

remember in the 4th quarter last night when Dwight got slapped so hard on the arm by Alrdrige, you could hear it on the TV? Dwight missed it and stared back at the ref who just ignored him.

7. bmd

bmd Member

Yeah, everybody heard that. It was the most blatant no-call of the entire series.

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Surprised howard didn't go punch the ref in the face

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Stotts knows defense and tells his team to not reach on Harden. Most of the reaching calls Harden gets in the regular season are because the defenders are dumb and reach for no reason. A smart defender can restrain from that. That's why Derek fisher is effective on Haren.

Furthermore Harden struggles to even get past his man. It's clear Batum and Matthews are doing a good job.

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm pissed Breen/JVG didn't make a deal of it.

11. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Aldridge had 2 more blatant fouls on Howard in OT. One was the first play of OT and the second was when it was tied at 116 and Howard had the deep position in the post. Both times, Aldridge clearly hit him on his shot and no call.

I can live with those if the refs then don't go down and give Portland the same exact calls or worst, the bump fouls when it doesn't even affect those fouls don't even affect the play because the player isn't in shooting or attack mode.

12. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

nah, POR defenders was carefully avoid reach in so the foul is not there, usually only upper body contact and it's hard to tell who initiate it, here is where rep kick in and in playoff ref usually dont call p***y fouls, they missed some foul on him but they missed some on POR too including the game winner Lin actually pushed MO in the butt helped him fell down then landed on him to get the ball, as long as they keep reffing with the same standard it's ok, a team have to know how to play under different officiating style or they wont go far.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He has a reputation for initiating the contact ant embellishing the contact... yes.

He's still going to the line... he's still getting some contact fouls... he's just not getting ALL the calls as he's accustomed to, and he has had trouble adjusting to it.

If he just puts his head down and plays hard... he'll get his fair share of calls. If he's looking over to the refs to bail him out for every forced/missed shot, it's just going to dig him deeper and deeper into a hole.

14. bmd

bmd Member

I remember specifically last night on the play where Harden made the lay-up where the ball rolled around the rim before falling in, Matthews reached in and grabbed his arm. No foul call.

They did one of those camera views behind the basket in slow motion before a commercial break, and it was clear as day.

That's just one example off the top of my head.

He has been getting hacked like he always has, the refs just are not calling it.

15. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

I don't like to complain about the refs but my god! I swear anytime Portland drives to whole there is a foul... And talk about 3 seconds in the paint for Lopez I've never seen something so obvious in my life!! There is a reason why he is averaging more blocks, put back and rebounds than ever before! You can't win a game when the league is against you! Period! Yea the free throw differences for both teams isn't much but I've always said it's about the time in witch the free foul is called to send them to the line.... Ex. I don't mind sending them to line on the first play of the game, but chances are they don't although they will call the foul with 1 sec left to win the game! That's my point! **** you NBA refs!

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the whole attacking the paint thing goes out the window when you see that the majority of the Rockets points in this series have come from inside the paint and the Blazers still continue to be what they are - a jump shooting team.

What bothered me the most was just the inconsistencies of the calls between the two teams. Batum and Matthews were able to completely body up and bump Harden, Lin, and Parsons on drives. Lopez and Aldridge are hacking and pushing Howard whenever he is in the post and then on the other end the Blazers are getting foul called for the same amount - or in many cases LESS contact.

These players are human - and it must get completely frustrating to be constantly called for fouls on one end and not getting the same call on the other end.

One or more of Houston's key players have been in foul trouble every game of this series. Its downright ridiculous that in every game Houston has had a player foul out.

I was shocked last night when Howard went to the line for the first time late in the fourth quarter and then I thought - I cant even remember if Harden has been at the line yet this game.

There is one thing I will say though -- in all of this -- McHale has done a really poor job of standing up for the team. I dont know if its his complete old school mentality of "play through the fouls be mentally tough" but this is a different era. Stotts is openly on the refs for what he believes to be poor calls and its has worked for him. McHale needs to be in the refs face more when his team is constantly being shafted on calls. If he has to get a technical or even ejected in the process so be it. The NBA HATES when the spotlight is on their refs and if a coach gets ejected in a critical playoff game and the calls remain or become worse the media would have a field day with that and thats the last thing the league needs. I remember reading a stat earlier that said that teams whose coached get ejected from a game go on to win over 50% of the time.

17. bmd

bmd Member

The free throw difference is a lot when you take into account the styles of play. The Rockets play a style of basketball that results in getting fouled more than any other team in the league.

And not only are the referees not giving the Rockets more foul calls than the Blazers... but they are actually giving the Blazers more calls!

They are giving the Rockets 7 less free throw attempts per game than their average during the regular season, while giving the Blazers 4 MORE attempts per game than the regular season.

That is a huge disparity when talking about per game numbers. That is potentially an 11 points per game difference.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Uhh regular season has no impact. Watch the games. Rockets ARE NOT getting into the paint as much as they did in the regular season. Harden has taken more jumpers than I have seen all year. You have to acknowledge that the Blazers are playing better defense. They are taking away the drive. That's the playoffs.

The only thing I agree with is the touch fouls on Aldridge. Somewhat BS.

I hate to be the only guy defending the refs on here but this thread and all the other threads are just homer fans seeing what they want to see. They are not getting "jobbed". The refs have been bad, both ways.

19. bmd

bmd Member

The Rockets are averaging 59 points in the paint per game in these playoffs. During the regular season, they averaged 51 points in the paint.

They are averaging 8 more points in the paint per game than in the regular season.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Cursory stats that don't matter. Says nothing about how the games are being played.