1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. makio9

makio9 Member

You guys are clueless. There is no way the Rockets give Parsons, Asik and Lin for Melo. That is giving more than the Knicks gave and that move was dumb enough as it is.

It is basically a lebron situation where Melo is just keeping his next team loaded with talent this time. He won't make that mistake twice.

The Rockets can't pay him though so they have to dump salaries. Lin and Asik would be gone.

Who wants a team with Parsons and Melo though? That's dumb. None can consistently play as a PF. Unless there is another trade lines up to get rid of parsons you don't acquire Melo.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bro, Parsons is sexy and all, but you don't pass up on Anthony because of him.

Parsons is a very solid starter, arguable borderline all-star.

Anthony is a bonafided superstar in his prime.

If the rockets are serious about winning, and get the chance to acquire him this offseason, they should jump at the chance. Anybody can argue the possibility of Love or Aldrige, and i'm not saying its impossible, but if Melo is down to become a rocket this offseason you don't pass up on a sure deal for the possibility.

Especially in our situation, were trying to win now, Howard only has so many years left.

In my opinion, if that means Parsons would be delt, i'd be all for it.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pretty site Lin has negative trade since they have to pay him 15 mil and probably so does asik.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lin is an expiring. Those will always be valuable.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry bro, but you seem a little clueless.

First, the Rockets would not deal Parsons in a deal for Anthony, for no other reason than the structure of his contract and the rules, would allow the Rockets to resign him above and beyond the cap. The point is to have 4 max players when everyone else has 2 or 3. The Rockets would move multiple firsts before they move Parsons.

Who would want a team with Parsons and Melo? About 30 teams in the NBA. The league has changed drastically the last half dozen years. There is no reason in the modern NBA that you cannot go to battle with Anthony and Parsons at the 4 and 3. Indeed, the advanced statistics are starting to really show that if you are a PF, you better be an ELITE post player if you cannot shoot from the outside. Also, I would point out that Anthony played more PF the last few years than you probably realize.

I will gladly go to war with a starting line up of:

Howard/Anthony/Parsons/Harden/Beverley

6. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

What is the value of an expiring contract? What valuable expiring contract was traded for this season? There is no positive "value" to lin's contract and very little on Asik's, and both may require Morey to sweeten the deal just to dump them

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

By the very nature that Lin and Asik are expirings means that they have value

8. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I agree with everything but the last statement. The Knicks played at their best last year with Melo at the 4. Also, when Parsons is on the bench, the fit hits the shan. I'd want 2/3 Parsons/Melo/Harden on the floor at ALL times. Besides, Parsons destroys 2 Guards on O and D if/when he plays there, so if Harden/Parsons/Melo each play 38 minutes a game, you could say that Melo would be at the 4 for only 18 a game.

I'm sure he knows NOT to gut a team if he wants to win and sustain winning. I'd expect DMo, IC3 and Koopa's rights to be kept, with everyone else out the door. Right now, Jones might be the biggest draw in the trade.

9. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Value only to a team that wants to get rid of long term money, but if Morey doesn't want to take salary back that value is negated

1 person likes this.
  10. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Yes and no.

Lin doesn't have value as expiring. Asik does only if the team wants to re-sign him, which they will.

Also, am I the only one who thinks attaching Jones to Lin will get a team to go with the trade? Honestly, he has more than a first round price tag (besides, our 1sts are the 25-30 range for 4 years....)

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sorry I missed the sign and trade debate, but S&T actually holds a lot of value to the Rockets.

If we have to clear the decks to sign Melo, then we are once again locked into signing guys for dirt cheap to fill out the roster. What would be ideal is a trade for Melo that preserves our ability to use the MLE (keeping us over the cap) so we can actually get some good veterans this offseason.

12. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

No they don't.....both are 15 mil with 8mil counting against the cap. Large expiring contracts are ALWAYS gold especially when teams have talented high priced/ long termed players they are looking to move and want in return...EXPIRING CONTRACTS, draft picks, young talent and flexibility. When the Knicks realize that Melo is leaving...letting him go for nothing is NOT an option. Since he is a Max player, you HAVE to make the numbers match and in order to do that you have to send back salary..........*drumroll* expiring contracts is what they want first to make the deal happen, the next is draft picks (1st rounders) and last and probably most important is young, upcoming talent that produce high number with low salaries....Parsons, T-Jones, D-Mo etc. The rockets have ALL three and are prime to make a run. Expiring contracts are always gold...To the Team that has them because its the last year of having to pay them and for the teams looking for them.

13. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

The team is ready to win now...of course he will take in another max priced player, especially a superstar. Taking on a long term contract is his goal.....Melo, Kevin Love, Lamarcus Aldridge etc. He is trying to finish the puzzle especially if this years team falls short.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, the team has $15M money to spend for another player, that is a value, the same thing for Asik. Your trade suggestion is just not a smart idea since Morey would likely not do it.

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

His goal is to take back the max guy, but expirings usually go to teams wanting mistakes off the books. Of course he'd trade expirings for Melo/Love/LMA...... Every team would. The true 'value' of our expirings is not what most teams would do with them, besides, the dollar value is negated by a good margin.

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

My basketball prayer: that Dwight makes his free throws, we win the championship, make Carmelo moot, pay our guys (Parsons), and turn into a dynasty with what we've got.

17. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

So, what you are telling me is, a trade of Asik, Lin, and Jones for Melo is a bad trade? Geeze, enlighten me to a good trade, because I was thinking it might take a tad bit more....

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

due to the new cba only allowing 1 contract per team of 5 years and restrictions on how much money each player can receive, the value of expirings has diminished greatly.

teams are now handing more contracts with 2+1 year contracts which dont allow for joe johnosn type contracts to be formed or rudy gays in this current CBA, they have some value but trade value has greatly done down.

this can be seen in the lack of stars being traded the last 2 trade deadlines and over summer.

19. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Only issue with this is Melo will be a free agent. Expiring contracts?....*drumroll* Melo's contract is already expired, why would Dolan pay $30 million just to get a draft pick (2015 pick at the earliest since free agency is after the draft) or young talent.

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, it is a good trade for the Rockets, but I do not think NY would take this trade, so Morey has a little chance to do anything.