1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream's tutoring feels like a Dwightmare

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Apr 22, 2014.

1. coffeelover665

Eh I saw A LOT of contact in the first half on Dwight when he does something in the post.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's amazing how the game has changed and it's harder for bigs to excel. The best are more finesse bigs like Duncan and LMA. Dwight is a power big to the Max and the rules have turned against that kind of play.

I hate it. Shaq wouldn't be Shaq in todays game. Of course that doesn't apply to Hakeem. No one can stop the dreamshake. Not now, not ever.

3. dxdx

dxdx Member

Really now? I guess players like CP3 and Rondo are only good because of their "fast twitch muscles and ups of black guys".

4. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

5. Asian Sensation

It's not the rules. It's Dwight. He needs to go up strong and play with power. He needs to hold LMA in check. He needs to be the man to lock **** down in the paint. He's supposed to be the most dominant big man in the game. Show me.

6. PositivityDome

Patrick Ewing was an assistant coach brought in specifically to tutor Dwight in Orlando - He never developed a post-game despite this.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar was in LA and wanted to tutor Dwight. - Never happened.

Dream tutors Howard in the off-season this year and then McHale teaches him stuff all-season long in practices. - Post game essentially still at initial levels.

---

Sorry but at some point you have to just realize Dwight doesn't have "it," in regards to ever becoming a good post player. The potential simple isn't there. He has no feel for being on the block and many have tried to shape and polish his post-game and failed.

1 person likes this.
  7. makio9

makio9 Member

The teaching process is very poor. Not what you would expect from the best players in the world.

They very much have the mindset of "learn in the off-season, do nothing during the season".

Basically the Dream came out a few weeks into the season and said he was sad to see Dwight making the old mistakes.

Don't be foolish and think that anything else has developed since then because it hasn't. It will now take next off-season to try again.

Hakeem is also based somewhere in Africa most of the year. The times you see him sitting in a seat is probably the same day he flew in here. He lives in Houston over part of the offseason to teach Dwight and whatever else.

8. Asian Sensation

This is true. The footwork, soft touch, ability to feel the defender, etc. they're all missing.

With that said he's shown flashes that he can dominate at times. So if he can at times then why not all the time or at least more often? He's way too passive. He needs to demand touches and his teammates should be force feeding him. Furthermore, he needs to be more assertive once he gets the ball.... 1 move and go strong.

He really reminds me of Alonzo Mourning with more athletic ability. Replace a prime Zo with Dwight and I'd feel comfortable we'd go to the Finals and maybe even win it all. Why? Not because Zo is better skill set wise but he knew who and what he was. A limited offensive player but a fearless leader with a can-do attitude who took it personally to shut down the paint. Dwight needs to take the initiative. There's absolutely ZERO excuse why Dwight shouldn't take it upon himself and make it a personal mission to guard and stop LMA. If Dwight were more assertive he would've already done so mid-game since McHale is clueless.

I suggested Dwight guard LMA many times before game 1. I heard McFail say he will try something different which he himself admitted he needs to do but didn't share exactly what to reporters. Well, it better be Dwight on LMA if he has half a brain.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

im giving dwight one more season. i expect him to go full beast mode next season. orlando dwight is coming soon, less athleticism, more finesse. something like that...

10. archinkent

archinkent Member

Dwight is also not the athletic beast he once was. Orlando Dwight would have gone up strong and not had his shot blocked there.

11. Rockness

Rockness Member

Dwight needs to let playing in the post go, just read this:

He needs to commit to the pick and roll, something he didn't like in LA and didn't do enough this year either. He needs to stop thinking we can play inside out and he is this great post player. He's mediocre, even below average on his post moves.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

And guys like Chandler Parsons and Mason Plumlee don't exhibit fast-twitch muscle fibers??? Gotcha.. Like I said go back to the hole in which you crawled out from.

1 person likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream can teach Dwight the mentality of a champion and leadership of a champion, it doesn't have to be all post moves.

14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

A cat wants to be a junkyard dog?

Even with lessons from the king of dogs, he still meows like a pussycat.

1 person likes this.
  15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

thats because he'd just seal the defender off nekminit you're trying to track against some giant oak tree specimen of legs that Yao had, he had incredible lower body strength, funny how he describe himself as a 'pyramid' and dwight as an inverted one

16. underrated015

underrated015 Member

This. Yao would stuff it in most of the times and get fouled. He has to post closer to the basket. Dwight is too strong to deny by tue basket. He needs to take Lopez with him to the basket.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

the problem with dwight is that his strength in the post comes from well, his strength, but it's all in his upper body. Thats why he gets called for those fouls where he lowers his shoulder, its simply so much harder to have genuine accuracy on the hookshot when your constantly battling up top, versus someone who can just wedge you out with their lower body strength.

18. DocRock

DocRock Member

The rules haven't stopped Zach Randolph. Dwight has mechanical footwork and doesn't understand how/where to gain position after 10 years in the league.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, I won't blast you because I am of the same opinion in terms of his basketball skills. If there is any room for improvement, it will have to come from his focus and mental approach to the game. It's playoffs time and Howard has to be ready to put this team on his back and carry it if the need arises. The same thing applies to Harden as well. It's a long hard road to becoming NBA champions and these guys don't yet understand the pressure and demands that are placed on those who make that journey to the mountaintop.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Dwight has a lower baseline than Hakeem from a skill standpoint, but that doesn't mean he can't improve. NBA players get more skilled on in to their 30s all the time, to compensate for a loss of athleticism. It just takes a lot of work and repetition, until it becomes muscle memory. I doubt NBA players get a lot of time during a season to work on fundamentals. During the season, it is probably more important to pace yourself, stay healthy and not overtrain. It's the offseason where new moves have to be developed or refined.