1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Blazers @ Rockets 4/20/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ERC

ERC Member

Just stop your endless bashing of Beverley already. :rolleyes:

Just because you support one player doesn't mean you have to constantly put down another. It is YOU who's embarrassing. You should learn a thing or two about grace and humility from your favorite player.

2. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

We need more Asik, at least he can hit his FT.
    The defense on Aldridge is unacceptable.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I am so gutted...I'm a 6'2" 213lb bloke that has done MMA most of his life, played Rugby league & is pretty tough, but I almost feel like crying.

Seriously, I've waited so long for my beloved Rockets to get in a position to contend, then we get beat by a team from Portland freaken Oregon?

There was horrible officiating on both sides, but that 17 free throw to 0 advantage in the first half was a sick joke & the holding call on Howard at the end? Disgusting, bordering on corrupt.

Beverly getting a technical for clapping, but LMA can charge at the ref yelling?

All in all we played well, but just couldn't get it done at the end. Our execution was very questionable & that last shot was a head scratcher.

That being said, it took career nights from both LMA & Lillard, plus all of those 50/50 calls for the Portland Blazers to best us by 2 in OT...hopefully that won't happen again & we can still close this series out in 6.

End rant...

1 person likes this.
  4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

McFail is probably the worst coach when it comes to playing team defense. He didn't even double team Aldridge one single time. Also why not tell your players to play defense in a way as to let Adridge shoot over you rather than letting him drive and do that easy layups all game long. I question if the Rockets have put any effort in team defense strategy against the Blazers...because it doesn't look like it.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

you made some good points. lma had I go off for career night and they win by two when rockets executed poorly the whole game. expect a bounce back on wed

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We got this.

7. steady

steady Member

I agree with this. Game 1 loss, in a close game where the opposing stars go off. Fine. Alright.

Game 1 where your beloved and key starting PG goes down. That's a possibly outcome changing event.

In a recent Rockets TV guest appearance, Zach Lowe mentioned what he saw as the Rockets' weakness: their defense and their lack of maturity. The way he put it is that the Rockets may not yet understand how hard and how tough/dirty they need to play to win a championship.

This team loves Patrick Beverley, and for Bev to be out for the rest of the playoffs as it seems increasingly likely. Is a huge huge deal for them.

I think the Rockets grow from this experience, and surprise some people. The Blazers are a good team, and they were great tonight. But the Rockets are better team.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Will they grow up overnight? That's the upcoming narrative,

I can expect Parsons, Jones, Asik, Garcia to step up. Jury is still out on Howard, Harden and Lin, if they can dominate the game under playoff pressure.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How is the jury out on howard and he took a team worse than this to the finals? 1 game,the whole series will come down to a couple of plays.

10. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

We need to get the next 4 games. 4-1

11. rocketsrule1995

I honestly need to hear Harden say"i played terrible this is on me" i love the dude but eventually you need to own up to your games that are horrendous

12. Rockness

Rockness Member

Referees were bad on both sides though the technical on Beverley, then the non-technical on Aldridge and that last call which was very easy to make and it should have been on Portland. Still, that's not where we lost and I truly believe Portland deserved it more. They were hustling, working hard on the boards and just fed the hot hand.

McHale made some questionable decisions in my opinion, but also the players. Parsons was hot, why didn't we feed him more? That's on Harden, Beverley, Lin, McHale but also Parsons himself. He has to demand that ball.

In the end, what truly killed us was rebounding, McHale sticking to small line-up and not double teaming Aldridge, constant switching on defense and terrible late game execution by Harden. It worked well when Lin was initiating in the 4th quarter and OT, so why not do it again?

A lot of head scratchers and the 1st quarter basically showed we were not ready. Hope they know now regular season does not count and it was always going to be a very tough series, now even more so.

Some positives though:
    - We came through in the clutch a couple of times: Garcia with Battier like rebound, Lin with some tough shots, Harden setting good screens, Howard with rebounds and FTs.
    - Howard came to play in the 2nd half
    - Beverley who I thought was the x-factor, was indeed the x-factor. The crowd fed off of it but unfortunately he was not getting much done on offense and now the injury..
    - Jones was good, it felt like he had more points than he did

13. Raven

Raven Member

Six months of effort to get home court, and they give it away in game one. And let's not kid ourselves, next game is a must win. If the Rockets start the series 0-2, I don't think they can over come that.

14. pippsux

pippsux Member

What do i say that has not been said already, they gotta win game 2...its that simple.

15. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

8-man rotation hahah~ Mchale really did it...

16. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

No he didn't. He was the centre piece of that squad and the main focus of the opposing defense BUT he wasn't the one making the necessary clutch plays in the end. It were Turk and Lewis so don't expect him to be 'the man' or something.

well I'm not that concerned with this loss, as have others already said it took so much for them to beat us by 2 in overtime, that im confident we are going to win this series.

17. krouchchocolate

That desperation 3 from Aldridge in it was so lucky. Man

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He had the confidence to take it, and it fell in for him. Harden and Howard didn't.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Was at the game. Bev looked like he was really struggling to move around after that collision. I have a feeling he's done. Also Aldridge was amazing and Harden didn't look like himself. Portlands strategy to constantly post up Matthews on the block to tire out Harden and make him work on defense was genius. McHale just isn't good enough to notice the little nuances during the course of a game. He reacts rather initiates his own strategy. He's not cut out to coach a high level team. Hack-a-Dwight will cost us a plenty of games in the playoffs, whether in this series or the next.
    Also there were a group of greasy thugs flicking and pouring beer below on some dedicated-looking fans a few seats besides me (the thugs were above on the railings). Those pieces of scum soured my night even more..why would you treat your fellow Rockets fan like that?

20. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Actually it's both of you that are embarrassing. Neither Lin nor Beverly are that important to our team in the long run.

It's Harden and Howard. They need to step up. Once they get it going, they'll be unstoppable. It doesn't matter who's playing with them.