1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin worth a first round pick? A lottery pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haydenfisher342, Apr 16, 2014.

1. zdrav

zdrav Member

Over 70 players make more money than Lin does. Are you saying that the NBA has over 70 "stars?" That would require the loosest and most meaningless definition of the term possible. :rolleyes:

A more accurate statement is that $8 million is starter money. And Lin was a fine starter last year. An excellent deal at $5 million, which is what he was actually paid.

2. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Yes you do. The real truth is that you have no life other than working to cause chaos in an internet discussion forum. Your pathetic life revolves around going after a few screen names of your imaginary enemies in the cyber space. What is even more sad is you only have enough courage to do it anonymously on the internet. Stop wasting your time to look for the little fella. I have told you many times you can find him in your mirror. Don't you get it? LMAO.

3. haydenfisher342

can we keep this about us getting a lottery pick for Jlin please?

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

this thread is stupid prior to the playoffs. nobody cares about moves for Lin right now.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Congrats on thread dude. Real quality stuff right there. 1 stars!! Haha.. you can get mad at me but it shows what people here think about it lol. On the brightside, there was some positive discussions that were created off tangent but the original premise for this thread remains r****ded trolling.

6. thejav

thejav Member

His skill does not equal a 1st round pick. The money he can bring to an owner/franchise might be worth a 1st..

7. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

That's what I keep telling everyone lol he just needs more time!

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Since we don't have a lotto pick to trade, I will say yes...Lin will cost us a 1st round pick to trade him on his 15 million dollar payday. And even that is going to put Morey's sales skills to the test.

9. Oracle

Oracle Member

I think you are about right here. I don't think that there is anything of real interest for Houston in the end of 1st round, so giving up a 1st rounder would not really hurt that much. Morey may need that cap space (and the money, because it's $8 mil cap space but $15 mil money). The receiving end might find that attractive, because it's a one year contract and the cap hit is not too bad. On top of that, Lin can play. In a number of teams he would be a starter.

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You sound upset, little fella'

11. rogower

rogower Member

I am projecting the following trade early this offseason:

Jeremy Lin to Sacramento;

a signed-and-traded Isaiah Thomas (3 years, $21-24 mil) to Houston

No team will trade a first round pick for Lin. He has negative trade value for the most part, but there are quite a few poorly managed teams out there, and Sacramento continues to make poor roster moves despite the change in ownership. I get the sense that Sacramento does not appreciate what an undervalued player Thomas is, and will likely view Lin as an upgrade, and will point to his perceived "leadership" and other perceived intangibles. I suspect Lin is perceived by Sacramento as being far more marketable, as well.

Advanced stats love Isaiah Thomas! And Daryl Morey loves advanced stats!

I also expect the team to finally receive an acceptable offer for Omer Asik this offseason, and for the team to then shift its focus on acquiring Kevin Love, although a Love trade likely does not happen until February 2015. I expect Houston and Boston to be the leading suitors for Love, although if the Clippers disappoint this offseason, they might consider shaking things up via a straight up Blake Griffin-for-Love swap. [I see the Clippers as the team that poses the biggest threat to San Antonio this offseason and expect the Spurs-Clippers WCF to be the de facto NBA Finals.] I do not consider the Lakers a viable suitor, as that franchise is a complete disaster, post-Jerry Buss, with no end on sight. The Kobe extension is one of the biggest overpays I have ever seen and I've been closely following the NBA for over twenty years!

Also, I expect Houston to sit on most of its cap space this summer, in anticipation of a midseason swap for Love or another big salary player. Look for expanded roles next season for several extremely cheap (less than $1 mil/year) players (Isaiah Canaan, Troy Daniels, Robert Covington). Much easier to trade for Love if you have a big chunk of unused cap space, as you can absorb salary.

I also expect Houston to attempt to trade Chandler Parsons on draft day for a younger, cheaper replacement SF, presumably either Creighton's Doug McDermott, UCLA's Kyle Anderson, Syracuse's Jerami Grant, or Duke's Rodney Hood. There is probably a team dumb enough to make this trade with Houston. This has always been the most obvious solution to the Chandler Parsons contract extension problem.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We'd have to trade Lin WITH a first round pick to get ride of him

13. Doktor Mndbndr

really, can't the lofs and lofh keep it to that one or two thread (pick one, Jeremy Lin is a joke or Jeremy Lin is Lebron), and not clog up the rest of the forum with their inane back and forth?

I've seen another forum fence off that kind of stuff to one Lin-specific thread, where they kinda allow a free-for-all between lof and lofh, and have very lax moderation for that one thread only, but restrict what is obviously trollage from the rest of the forum.

14. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Like I said before.....anyone in a Rockets shirt I am a ****ing fan of. He is simply not worth his contract for a very average....honesty below average player. sorry LOF

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

FWIW, list of players Morey paid more than $8mil to during his time here.

Harden
    Howard
    Yao
    T-Mac
    Kevin Martin
    Asik (same as Lin)
    Scola (amnestied after 2 years)
    Jeremy Lin

By Morey's standards, $8mil is a lot of money. He's not known for handing out stupid contracts left and right unlike some other teams.

16. Doktor Mndbndr

Yep. Although $8.3 million may be the going price for an average starting point guard, Morey pays wholesale and not the retail price. The $8.3 million is what the average shopper who does not clip coupons and just goes to the nearest supermarket pays.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Nah... a better analogy would be that other GM's go to a grocery store for celebrities while Morey goes to HEB.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Only trading Lin for a 1st overall :p

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

20. haydenfisher342