1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Blazers @ Rockets 4/20/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 16, 2014.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You can't compare Chris Paul to Peyton Manning. Manning's actually won a championship.

1 person likes this.
  2. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Here are some interesting matchup stats from SportsUV (link) :

- Dwight Howard averaged 25.5 points per game against the Blazers, his highest mark against Western Conference opponents.

- Terrence Jones was a minus-45 in 49 minutes. No other Rocket had a negative plus-minus against the Blazers.

- The Blazers’ starting lineup was a plus-36 in 72 minutes against the Rockets. All other Portland lineups were a minus-62 in 125 minutes.

- Against the Blazers, Harden shot better from 3-point range (45.5 percent) than he did from the restricted area (39.1 percent).

- Harden drove five times in 10 minutes while being defended by Batum. He drove only eight times in 30 minutes while being defended by Wesley Matthews.

- Lillard shot 52% FGA (11/21) and 50% (5/10) 3P in 29:51 min guarded by Bev. And shot 31% (11/36) and 38% (6/16) 3P while guarded by others.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Officials for Houston-Portland Game 1; Scott Foster, Bennett Salvatoreand Derrick Stafford. Tony Brown is the alternate.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/457878132046196736">April 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Ugh, Salvatore. One of the worst.

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Scott Foster....oh boy better hope were on his good side

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

WTF is up with constantly sticking our games on the late slot? I get the whole East/West coast time but were closer to NY time than LA time. It's hard as hell to get up for work after staying up so late to watch my team.

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

8:30 can't get here fats enough. Lets Go Rockets!!!!

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Foster led the crew that reemed us @ Miami.

He has quite the history...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/0...-tim-donaghy-phone-calls-to-second-ref-raise/

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I have a feeling we are going to lose. Same ol story, show up half assed effort.

The talent on paper tells me we should win but you know the lack of discipline and effort prove otherwise.

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Damn it! Ear infection, sinus infection, and congestion....but nothing is going to stop me from enjoying this game tonight!

Any idea if there is a "red out" planned? Bought a new harden shirt yesterday but if there is no red out planned I may trade it in for a black one.

If it's red out then I'm painting my face and hair...

11. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

GAME DAY MOFOS.

I hope your all ready because I'm ready to rock the Toyota Center tonight.

12. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Do what you must! This is playoffs. Show your true colors.

13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

They have red This is HTOWN shirts on every single seat so I'd go with it being a red out :grin:

Pretty damn hype for this game but I hate that I have to wait all day for it. Will be doing a little day drinking till game time. Hopefully this black butte porter will last the day

14. Yellow

Yellow Member

Coincidence that Foster refs our game, me thinks not!!

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As long as Bev is healthy, the Blazers pose no threat to us.

#355 Plowman, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  16. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Plz God Almighty....

17. koalaznbear

koalaznbear Member

I'll be repping with the Austin peeps at Lavaca St Bar and Grill tonight! Go Rockets! I'm hoping for a minimum of 3 alley oops to howard/tjones.

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Here's what scares me the most on game day. These are the things that have to be considered before so many of us think this series will be easy. There are some "ghosts" that could haunt us if we don't address them.

In my opinion, here are the ghosts that may pop out and scare the hell out of our Rockets:

1. Mo Williams: If you've followed him, you know that he can flat out score and go on streaks. He is a better player than Jeremy Lin (flame me, I don't give a damn). If our bench doesn't come out to play, he will go off on us. His stroke with the Jazz, Cavs, Clips and now Blazers has been consistent. He is going to play a big role this series. That is, unless he is suffering from a hip strain (rumor). I hope Jeremy Lin learns not to go under the screen because Mo can flat out shoot and his jumper should be respected.

2. Many of you, including our beloved Rockets, don't fear Wesley Matthews. He is on a team of good players, but on any given night, he can torch you. He is a poor man's Eric Gordon without the injuries. If we leave him open, he will nail us. LMA is their franchise player, but Matthews is the x-factor to me, especially if Lilliard struggles and Batum plays like a pansy.

3. SideShowBob Robin Lopez: A man I despise as a player and person. (The story is not for this thread, but NeNe...well, let's just say RLo is a dirtbag) Anyway, he has emerged as a decent defender. I see him taking his role out there as simply a defensive one and blocking up any weak stuff that TJones, Lin and Harden throw up at the rim. He will matter. The way to combat him is with our very own Omer Asik. But, again, Lopez is going to mess things up for us.

4. Terry Stotts: 19 years of experience coaching. True, some of his teams have been bad, but he's seen it all. He's seen the adjustments and he has this Blazer team playing WAY above their pre-season expectations. With the loss of Kelvin as a strong voice, I hope JB steps up. Terry is an underrated, smart coach and could easily outcoach Kevin in close situations. That is TRULY scary.

I've read through this thread and have seen the analysis related to James and Dwight's importance in this series (obvious). Chandler Parsons has to play like he was before the minor injuries.

Now, my X-Factor predictions:

This is what I know that you don't ;): I've been a fan of his since Sac (and when he was traded here) and said you'd love him (check my post history):

IF McHale gives Francisco Garcia playing time, he WILL deliver. The Portland defense crashing in on Dwight and James will have Cisco open. Remember though, Cisco steps up in pressure situations. Against OKC, he defended Durant better than anyone I've seen in awhile. I will bet TipJar money that Cisco, if given time, will be the sharp shooter we need (once again during the playoffs) and will be able to put enough pressure on Wesley Matthews to, essentially, cancel him out. Cisco is going to be big.

19. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Game Day!!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have playoff game day morning anxiety! (PDMA)