1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin worth a first round pick? A lottery pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haydenfisher342, Apr 16, 2014.

1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Ok troll

2. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I find your statement insensitive and hurtful. I have had cancer twice and I undergoing rad treatment now. Nobody should be called a disease, especially cancer. Shame on you.

3. hotpotato

hotpotato Member

Lin won the lottery already, he's got 25 mil in the bank. Think about it when you are frustrated with Lin, it will make you furious.

4. haydenfisher342

mmmmm

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

OP may or may not be a LOF. But in this thread some Lin fans actually agree with OP. So are you saying they are stupid? If so

II would agree...:grin:

6. haydenfisher342

Actually, it has nothing to do with being LOF or anything of the sort. I just know for the betterment of the team Lin has to go. I like him want the best for him, but the team needs more flexibility, especially if we want to get better next year. Its either Lin or Asik, or both. Asik so far has shown hes a better player.

7. Doktor Mndbndr

Random thought. I'd like to see someone put up a post on the dollar value of a draft pick, by order number. It could only be an approximation, of course, and the values would vary by competency of each team's management.

But it'd be nice to know the going rate for a lottery pick, a late 1st, 2nd round picks, and so forth.

Am (very wildly) guessing $50 million for a top 3 pick, down to no more than $5 million for a late first.

8. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Terrible thread

9. haydenfisher342

Even worse post, see i can do it too

10. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Member

Not only does a pick's value fluctuates with each team, it also fluctuates with the different talent pool of the actual draft each year. There really isn't an easy formula that can pin the value down like that.

11. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Royce White was a high draft pick ... wasn't he ? I'm pretty sure most people on this board would trade Lin to bring back an out of shape, emotionally disturbed Royce White , because that's just how much hate they have for Lin.

12. Spooner

Spooner Member

Id do that in a heartbeat. Do you realize how much less cap we'd have to spend? Not everything is about hate. Some things are a matter of practicality. BTW Royce was a mid 1st not a high pick. Having said that it proves my point even more, given salary of mid picks as opposed to lotto picks

13. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

LOL, little guy is the one who can only come up with a lame comeback like yours. See that to the mirror in your bathroom.

14. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

LOL, little guy is the one who can only come up with a lame comeback like yours. Say that to the mirror in your bathroom.

15. McRaggize

McRaggize Member

The ability Lin has is worth a lottery pick. But in the eyes of other teams, his contract worth nothing except they want to tank.

16. verysimplejason

Good trade or bad trade, Lin and Asik must go if Parsons is to be retained especially if Rockets does not perform nicely this playoffs. It might be better to do it right after the playoffs already. Prolonging will just make other GM's low-ball the Rockets. Depending on how Heat will fare in the playoffs, it might be a very interesting off-season. On the worst side, this maybe a Dragic-Lowry thing once again...

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Royce is playing for Reno in the DLeague but he was drafted 16th. For simplicity sake, I took Maurice Harkless contract, who was drafted 15th that year and making $1.80M.

Tried this in the espn trade machine and it said,

The aggregate outgoing salairies are less than or equal to $9.8 million and therefore they can only accept the incoming aggregate salaries that don't exceeded 150% plus $100,000. The incoming salaries are greater than 150% plus $100,00. Cut $5,559,886 from the Magic incoming trade value to make this trade successful.

It doesn't work. Since JLins contract is $8.4M, we would have to take back ~$5.53M. Our savings would only be about $3M. Better to keep Lin, IMO then take Royce White plus fillers that'll do nothing but take cap space.

So what I'm saying is trading Lin soley for the reason to dump cash won't return huge results.

#197 krnxsnoopy, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  18. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Lin has delivered great value for the Rockets. His numbers are comparable to those of Dragic and Lowry when they were in Houston.

A PG in his first full year as a starter gets paid $5.2 million, and helps his team get to the playoffs for the first time in 4 years. He averages 45% from the field and just under 40% from the 3 pt line while maintaining a 2:1 assist/TO ratio during the last 3 months of the 2012-13 regular season, just as the team's star player is going through a downswing due to injury and also after the GM traded away key rotation players leaving the team with less depth. They make the playoffs by 1 game. That team result enables Houston to get Dwight Howard. That player was Jeremy Lin and frankly he was underpaid for the value he delivered.

In his second full year in the NBA, he got paid about $5.3 million and was converted to a 6th man role, was told to revamp his game to play off the ball, and managed to improve his 3 pt shooting to a tick under 36%, shot just under 45% from the field, averaged over 12 pts/4 assists a game, and improved his defense. Incidentally, Lin averaged about 15/5.5 when he played half the game or more, while shooting 46% from the field. He was asked to be a PG, SG, spot up shooter and playmaker at the end of the shot clock. He played a key role in jump starting the Rockets season, filled in for the starting PG/SG when injuries hit, helped to spark the team to a 6 game win streak at the end of January which propelled the team from a lower seed to the top 4, and then delivered a key 26 pt performance against Portland in what now appears to have been the decisive game to determine home court advantage in the first round of the NBA playoffs. Lin delivered great value in his role at a reasonable price by today's standards.

But all you hear on this site is how Lin is getting a big $15 million balloon payment in year 3 and how he is not worth that money. It's a deferred payment, and he was essentially underpaid by $6 million during the first 2 years of his contract.

1 person likes this.
  19. imaginedragons

if the Rockets won the title with Lin being a key bench contributor, would you still want to trade him for a future 1st rounder and risk he unknown?

20. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

[​IMG]

Good post mate.