1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox: Francis As Upset as Being Drafted by Vancover

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, May 23, 2003.

1. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

:(

and here I thought I was helping somebody....

:D

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

troo! the reason why SF doesnt get much assists is because he is the one who starts the play and ending up another guy gettin the assist instead of him.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I wonder when mushmouth will finally make his personal decision[​IMG]

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Individual assists stats can be misleading. Look at team assist rankings when comparing two point guards like Jason Kidd and Steve Francis. The Nets rank at the top in team assists because Jason Kidd is runnning that offense. The Rockets are tied with Miami for last in the league in team assists because Steve Francis runs the offense. totally opposite style of point guards, totally opposite results.

5. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

well, you got a point there.. but when peeps say that SF doesnt have a good apg, that's cuz SF makes the first pass... but, i gotta give it to you, you got a real good point!

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this largely. But I also want to add that the play of the team as a whole makes a difference too. In NJ almost all of there guys put forth a top level effort, they dive for the ball etc. In Houston only Steve does that with any regularity. Other players do it sometime, and some players hardly ever do it. I want our team to play like it's important to them.

7. Texas Stoke

yeah, I guess its not just one thing. But the Rockets offensive system is run a completly different way than New Jerseys as everybody can see. Rudy, has said on his radio show, with the way the Rockets offense operates, theres not going to be a lot team assists. Maybe Rudy felt Francis was incapable of running a more complex system like New Jerseys that has a lot of motion, and multiple passing. It will be interesting to see if the new coach comes in with a different system, maybe one similar to New Jerseys, and to see if he thinks Francis is capable of running such a system.

8. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

maybe Rudy and Co. weren't capable of teaching it? Like you said, we'll see.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe we get these ideas from Steve's own words? We aren't twisting them out of proportion.

1. He said- "I rank this right up with being drafted by Vancouver." Wonderful, he is comparing this to a situation where he felt he had to demand a trade! It really is that bad, apparently.

2. He follows that up by saying he will have to make "personal decisions." Well, the meaning of that seems pretty clear to me. It doesn't mean he wants to take out a car loan or buy a new house. It means he has to think about whether he wants to say in Houston. What else could it mean? Also, he knew exactly how the media, Les, and the fans would inerpret that statement.

3. So the logical follow up is to ask- "are you saying you want to be traded?" "I wouldn't say that." Huh? Hard to tell from that cryptic comment what he really means. Does it mean he hasn't decided? Does it mean that he wouldn't say that to the media?

Look, maybe he was saying things on the spur of the moment. But how do you know? Consider that maybe he really does want to be traded! Earlier in the year, he said if Rudy leaves, he leaves. I didn't take this seriously either, but with these comments I'm starting to wonder.

In any case, after a horrid season on many levels, he is now making veiled references to forcing a trade. That's not great leadership.

[qoute]

However, I sincerely doubt that Francis is thinking... there goes my protector and I'm gonna get blamed for everything from now on now that Rudy's gone... c'mon guys.. think rationally before you say stuff... isn't that what you're saying about Francis speaking out of emotions?
    [/QUOTE]

Well if he's speaking out of emotions, I hope he clarifies his comments when he's calm. He should let Les know that he wants to stay and play out his contract (if that's the truth).

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yep! The "nice guy" is gone!!!!

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You are right execpt Kidd's TO per game (3.7). But at least Kidd off-sets that with 8.9 Ast per game.

But, you're on the money with the other comments.

12. x_trepidation_x

Has everyone forgotten that the <B>Rockets are a business</B> and the main purpose, not suggesting only purpose, of this organization is to aquire as much money as possible? The <B>Rockets are no different then any other sports franchise in that respect</B>.

Back to the main point of this thread, <B>Francis should either start producing play off appearances and winning titles, then he can make such comments</B> or <B>shut up</B>.

For example, Jordan stated that he did not want to play for any other coach except Jackson when he was with the bulls. Most people understood Jordan because Jackson coached the bulls to 6 NBA Titles. Plus, Jordan was the ambassador of the game and the best player at the time. Shaq made similar comments having won 3 titles under Jacksons coaching.

<B>Francis has the right to say anything he wants but few will respect him for opening his mouth and questioning the owners dicision considering the team has lacked dicispline and failed the last four years to making the playoffs even if his name is the "franchise" and he is making 80 million dollars. </B>

<B>The Franchinse is no ambassador of the game</B>

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is the funniest of the yr.

14. man532

man532 Member

I would be upset to. Because the franchise AND1 Mix Tape Video is about to come to and end. Paul Silas will have no problem sitting his *ss on the bench with the quicks. In addition, his boy Mobley pension will be shorten because he will not play 40 minutes again, jacking up unbelieveable shots and missing to his amazement.

15. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

What is everyone saying at Fonde Rec Center the last couple of days man532? Everyone must be talking up a storm with all kinds of speculation now...

16. Panda

Panda Member

Francis forced management to trade him first, got his teammate Tmo on board, then went out of his way demanding Rudy to stay, otherwise he'd be gone. Of course he'll find it hard to believe that he really isn't part of the management and the ownership.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I can't believe people still think T-Mo was the result of Francis making demands. Rudy had scouted the guy for years. If anything, he probably assumed T-Mo would compliment Francis because they were Maryland teammates and forgot to notice that he has been diminishing as a player every year he spent in college.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually it's the dumbest comment of the year, but to each his own.

19. Texas Stoke

Francis.. whats next: " I will sit down with coach.. I have to make a decision.. as far as myself.. and see where we're gonna go."

say what Francis? as far as yourself? what about your teammates, do you think they wanted to see Rudy go? oooh but they're not getting paid 80 million dollars so I guess they're just gonna have to lace 'em up with no complaints cause they know they're blessed to get paid millions to play a game they love. dont hear any pouting like overpaid spoiled brats with your teammates, thats the job for the franchise of a lottery team. You're getting paid millions by Les, Rudy is set for life because of Les, so stop pouting and play some basketball like that french kid who's out there tearing up the league at the same age you were while playing college ball. if you played half as smart as that french kid, Rudy would still have his job.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

It is time for Francis to be held accountable. If Rudy has to pay the ultimate professional price, what about Francis? Rudy was a great player and a championship coach; what has Francis done? Is Francis giving Les his money's worth (80 mil)? T. Parker is 21 and IMO light years ahead of Francis in judgement, discipline, smarts, demeanor, class, and timing. He is a better shooter and plays defense. He makes plays at critical times instead of critical mistakes. He doesn't showboat, show out, or call attention to himself. He helped take his team to the playoffs and has improved steadily. Again, what has Francis done?