1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Where is Mayock's take on Bridgewater?

The post above is Phil Simms' opinion on him, not Mayock.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am somewhat confident that the Texans won't pick a QB 1st.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He DID laugh his way through it.

Yeah, if we can't get a half a king's ransom......then it's a no brainer. But precisely because it's a no brainer, with the only exception being a reach for a QB...I think the Texans get an embarrassment of riches for this pick.

#183 Plowman, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:10738316&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

5. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Is it terrible that I'm hoping for Clowney/Carr in the first two rounds?

I was here during the entirety of the David Carr fiasco, but Derek's pretty good and easily could fall to 2.1. I think part of David's failure here was being drafted by a bad (offensive) coaching staff and having to play too soon behind a (historically) awful offensive line. I think that if anyone else had been his mentor (Kubiak included) from the beginning, took his development carefully, and he was given a season or two of clipboard time, he could have been successful. The way his development actually played out gave him ZERO shot at success.

I don't necessarily believe all the hype that BOB is a QB wizard, but he does have some success in his past and his staff is actively trying to develop a QB. Fitz is already here as a PERFECT placeholder... I'm up for any other 2nd/3rd that has the tools to be successful, but Derek looks like he has tools in abundance and could slide.

Taking ALL of the above into account, are we just too burned by the previous "CARR" on the back of a Texans jersey to take this seriously? Would the sight alone just reduce our massive city into a hysterical fit of madness? I guess my question is, if we're taking Clowney 1.1 (which I voted we should), WHY NOT DEREK CARR?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Blake Bortles to meet with Texans in Houston Apr 15 and 16. Johnny Manziel will meet with Texans in Houston Apr 21 and 22.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/453222654414032896">April 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#187 J.R., Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  8. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

He has no pocket presence

Wouldn't even consider drafting him

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That's a bold strategy Cotton. Is that about 49/51?

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol i do not recall mayock saying anything about bridgewater in that post...

so yes.. you are an idiot.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:10714430&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>Adam Schefter discusses the Houston Texans' plans for the top pick in the 2014 NFL draft and the chances they wait on selecting a quarterback.

p.s. Hi, Hannah!

12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

THANKS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION!!

I think all the bickering and dismissive statements (like yours above) lack any kind of context or expertise and have created extremely divisive draft talk on this board.

You (whoever you are) "wouldn't even consider drafting him." I hope you mean you wouldn't consider drafting him at 2.1... that's actually an understandable statement. Saying you wouldn't draft him at all is just absurd. I would guarantee you that D. Carr 2.0 is is on every team's board (somewhere) and all 32 consider him a draftable prospect (somewhere). If you wouldn't consider drafting him at all, you're purporting to be better at this than all 32 top football scouting staffs in the world.

POINT #1: It's one thing to discuss the draft, argue about it, etc. It's another to speak about it in certainties and to dismiss any other opinion.

One thing we can all agree on is that we're not drafting a finished product, at QB or elsewhere. Yes, Carr has pocket presence issues. Clowney is lazy and entitled. Teddy B is too skinny. JFF is going to get killed playing "his" game and will spend Mon - Sat clubbing w/ James Harden. Bortles has all the tools except he's only put them together for one season (against the AAC).

QUICK REMINDER:
    1) A lot of people thought we'd rue the day we passed on Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Reggie Bush, etc.
    2) Mark Sanchez was considered a viable starting QB only 3 years ago.
    3) On a related note, Matt Barkley had a 1st round grade about 13 months ago.4) Rolando McClain, Jason Smith, Aaron Curry, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey, Pacman Jones, Mike Williams (DET), Charles Rogers (DET), David Carr, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Curtis Enis, Ryan Leaf, Lawrence Phillips, Ki-Jana Carter, Heath Shuler, Trev Alberts, Rick Mirer, Eric Curry, Steve Emtmen, Quintin Coryatt, David Klingler, Blair Thomas, Andre Ware, Tony Mandarich, Sammie Smith, Aundray Bruce, and many, many, many more say HI! They were all top-10 picks that had CONSENSUS high grades from scouts and were absolute disasters.

POINT #2: Scouting departments know way more about these cats than we do and they STILL f*** it up OFTEN!

13. Raven

Raven Member

30 days until the draft. Tick. Tick. Tick.

14. Remii

Remii Member

If I knew how to "Rep" your post... I would.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can't wait until it's over and the season starts. I don't know why but some real pieces of work seemed to take over the Texans' room and really ran it into the ground with idiocy.

1 person likes this.
  16. 281Texan

281Texan Member

I really don't see how you pass up on Clowney or Manziel at 1. If you aren't going to take either then trade, get an extra second round pick, and if a QB falls to you in the first then take them. I understand the need for a QB but when you look back 5 years from now and think we could of had any player in the draft and we took HIM? No thanks to the Andy Dalton types. Clowney will fit in well as a 5 technique in our nickel defense or a rush olb in the 3-4. Tons of talent in round 2 as well most likely a few solid first rounders will drop.

17. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

We have to deal with another Manziel pimp???

We can get him in the second, stop putting out this garbage about getting in Manziel in the first

Its not happening. Single most overrated qb prospect, probably prospect in the draft

18. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

I like a trade down with the Cleveland and pick up mack. See bridgewater falling and move in 15-20 range and get him. That's all in perfect world lol

19. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I think the Texans will take Clowney with the 1st pick. Too talented to pass up, IMO.

And I also think O'Brien wants to trade a pick in this draft (3rd ?) and a future draft pick (also 3rd ?) for NE back-up QB Ryan Mallet. I know this strategy smells a lot like the Matt Schaub's trade, we did a few years ago. But I think O'Brien would rather trade for a QB he already knows, than draft one to develop from scratch.

And if, big if, we don't draft Clowney, I think we'll trade down to pick up more draft picks. Perhaps we'll draft Bortles (QB) afterall, Mack (LB) or an offensive lineman (Robinson, Lewman, Matthews) a few picks down in the first round.

20. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I think the Texans should take Clowney, but I am not going to get bent out of shape if it's a QB. If it is a QB I hope it's the right one because the the Texans are going to be rolling with this guy for the next 3 to 4 years.