1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OK who's your first choice for new coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 23, 2003.

?

Who's your first choice for new coach?

1. Larry Brown

80 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Paul Silas

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Lenny Wilkins

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  4. Mike Dunleavy

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Alvin Gentry

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Lon Krueger

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. John Lucas

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Larry Smith

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. Calvin Murphy

9 vote(s)
    6.4%
  10. Other

20 vote(s)
    14.2%
  1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Larry Brown is a teacher. That's what we need right now, and, maybe some personal coaches for the various players. I'm not as concerned about our personnel, but about training of young players.

Rudy knew how to take a team to the Finals, but I'm not sure he's good at teaching. If Rudy had recognized his weakness, and hired assistant coaches to compensate, I believe he would still be our coach. But, I have a feeling he was stubborn.

oh well ... I love Rudy ... He is Houston, all the way, and has the heart of a champion. But, our guys don't have that right now, and they have to be trained. They've got incredible talent and athleticism, but not the basketball education.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

George Karl - he needs to build a structured offense (that he can zone to death) and the Rockets definitely have the major pieces to do this. Jeesh...I hated him when the Rockets could never get by the Sonics in the early 90's, but now, I think he would be a good fit.

3. man532

man532 Member

We need a coach who is going to sit non and under performers down without hesitation. We also need a coach with a defensive attitude and different schemes on offense. Last but now least, a coach who can get players to accept their roles. Cat will never be a 20 pt per game 2 guard, more like 15 playing 35 minutes.

The perfect coach based on the following list is: Mike Dunleavy

Paul Silas
    Jeff Van Gundy
    Mike Fratello
    Lenny Wilkins
    John Lucas
    Alvin Gentry
    Larry Smith
    Lon Krueger
    Mike Dunleavy

4. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Van Gundy's nice, but the Rockets find themselves in the extremely fortunate position of having a coaching vacancy when the best coach in the NBA might be looking for a new gig in Larry Brown. If the decision has been made to look for a new coach, I would be sending gym bags full of money to Philly right now trying to pry Brown away. The man has a genius and track record unmatched by any of his colleagues:

1. Won Kansas' only national championship.
    2. San Antonio Spurs went from worst to first (25 wins to 50+ wins) in Brown's and Robinson's first season.
    3. The L.A. Clippers have been to the post-season only 3 times in the past 24 years. Two of those times were the only two years Brown coached them. Also worth noting that in those playoff appearances, the Clippers took the Rockets 5 and the Jazz 5 in the first round in best-of-five format.
    4. Took the 6th seeded Pacers from the 6th seed to the eastern conference finals in Brown's first season as Pacers' coach. Before Larry Brown came to Indiana, the Pacers were a perennial first round exit. Without adding any players to the team, Brown had the Pacers in the eastern conference finals his first two or three years with the franchise before moving on which brings us to.....
    5. Philadelphia. Brown came to Philly when they were one of the worst 3 teams in the league. After missing the playoffs in Brown's first season, Brown pulled a miracle in season two and had the Sixers in the playoffs. In year 3 the Sixers were in the NBA finals and are now perennial contenders in the eastern conference.

There is NO ONE else in the league that has taken on this many coaching challenges without ever experiencing failure. So like I said when I started, Van Gundy would be a good replacement, but Brown would be a great one and the Rockets had better take advantage of the situation their in and try to use the lure of an immature Francis and Yao to bring the best coach in the league to Houston. There is never a better fit than Larry brown.

5. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

My first choice would be Paul Silas,and that for 2 reasons:
    1.He get's the out of his players
    2.He could help us sign PJ Brown:D

ALA

6. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I want LB(Larry Brown)

7. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Why is Donnie Nelson mentioned here? Isn't he the president of basketball operation for Dallas?

8. feishen

feishen Member

I heard that he was looking for a head coach position in NBA.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Aren't there multiple Nelsons running around dallas, like Don, Donn, Donnie and maybe more?

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

our new coach

who do you want our new coach to be?

if your choice in not on the list, post his name in the thread.

oh, and i guess JVG in not an option anymore.

11. SLA

SLA Member

Definitely Larry Brown.
    lol...who voted for Calvin Murphy and Larry Smith?
    Alvin Gentry and Lon Kruger were both fired for sucking badly. Gentry couldn't coach a very talented team....same with Lon Kruger. I don't want them.
    Paul Silas seems very nice and he would be nice.
    Larry Brown is still my favorite though..or maybe Pat Riley or Phil Jackson.
    But actually...it seems like Rudy was the best option now.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

None of the above. I want Coach K.

13. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Why is Alvin Gentry on this list?

14. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Dunleavy might be a good catch to If he is not to wrapped up in his sons career out in GS. Plus he is a former ROCKET.

My first choice is Paul Silas Though.

15. CrazyJoeDavola

Alright, who voted for John Lucas?

16. rvpals

rvpals Member

Where's Jeff Van Gundy? I heard on ESPN.com he's a frontrunner of the job.

17. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

dude i thought my suggestion was bad.(mike fratello).

LON FREAKIN KRUGER?

18. kermit

kermit Member

What do you guys think about IZZO or Huggins could they be any worse than Gentry or Calvin?

Calvin,seriously?

It's all a Steve conspiracy to get his Maryland coach here!

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

1. Sophia T.
    2. Bob Night
    3. Larry Brown

20. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

Larry Brown is the choice for me....however I'm also waiting for any other candidates...these choices all suck!