1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About as Coach: John Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by man532, May 23, 2003.

1. man532

man532 Member

John Lucas will be the Rockets next coach

For all of your conspiracy poster, watch out John Lucas could be the Rockets next coach. John has a good relationship with Steve, Mobley, and Norris. We all know Steve has major pull with Les, however, we are about to see how much pull.

Steve considers John a mentor and friend. They also work out together during the summer. He may be able to get something out of the $6 million dollar garbage can (Cato).

I think Lucas has the skills to push Steve and Cat buttons and make the Rockets a playoff team next year. Including using Yao the right way instead of like DREAM, which is not his strength.

Bottom line, the players will not respect Van Gundy unless he can bring Mourning, which we can't because we are over the salary cap. However, I do like Van Gundy's X's and O's.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

NO!!!

Please, no John Lucus!

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

John Lucas as our coach? Would never happen. Book it.

And you really think Steve is gonna have a say in who is the new head coach? Good Lord.

Players will not respect Van Gundy unless he brings Mourning in? Says who?

And please don't tell us that your sources at Fonde say so.

4. dttd888

dttd888 Member

HELL NO!!!
    Lucas couldn't coach his son's team at Baylor.

5. man532

man532 Member

Yes, Deuce. He's home grown, played for the Rockets and has been in the Houston community for years with the Rehab clinic for professional athletes.

I like Van Gundy, however, I don't think he will get the maximum out of the players we currently have on the roster.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

How do WE know that? Because of the Tmo and Moochie deals? I don't buy that. Anyways, Steve wants out, RIGHT?...does it matter who he wants to coach the rockets anymore?

7. man532

man532 Member

Just because Steve wants out doesn't mean he can lobby for the coach he wants now.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

stop humoring this guy, he already has zero credibiility.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

BULLSH!T. Lucas can't coach worth a crap. Honestly, I'd rather have Calvin Murphy coach than Lucas.

10. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Moochie should have 0 impact on the next coach...99.9% of this board dosent even want moochie to have a relationship with this team...Francis Mobley I dont think so till you win something you have no impact on what your organization does...no way lucas is a nba coach theres 10 better coaching prospects out there atleast

11. man532

man532 Member

Sam,

If you don't like the post, no need to throw rocks. Who if anyone has credibility on this site. Does anyone that post work for the Rockets or Les. I doubt it.

As a result, get of my jock and create a thread.

12. kturner77

kturner77 Member

Though I am quite sure there are a lot of opinions out there as to who the new Rockets head coach will be, but I do not think that John Lucas is the answer at all. He is a great motivator, but I keep having visions of David Robinson deliberately scoring 71 points to win the scoring title from Shaquille O'Neal... We DEFINITELY do not need that type of crap for the Rockets. This team needs discipline and a solid offensive system that will highlight the skills of Francis, Yao and whomever else will be along with them. (Mobley's future may be in doubt) A commitment to DEFENSE is also a must. So, let's hope that the Rox use a lot of wisdom and get a guy that will be a good fit for who is in Houston, and who will be there.

13. SamFisher

I'm suspicious of your motives from that dubious "Fonde Rec" thread that has turned into a four page monster.

Now you post a thread that says Lucas "will" be the Rockets next coach because of your supposed inside info.

I am calling bullsh-t on your inside info.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

Man,

Lucas is a .400 coach for his career. Tell me exactly how he has gotten the most out of his players? He has had 1, count them, 1 above .500 coaching seasons and that team lost in the 1st round (S.A.). That S.A. team had the league's leading scorer (Robinson) and rebounder (Rodman) and could not beat a lower seeded Jazz team in the 1st round.

Steve will have no say so in who our head coach is. You overestimate his influence over Les.

15. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

How many times does he have to fail before people start getting the hint that he isn't a good coach?

16. man532

man532 Member

Sam,

The Lucas post isn't inside information and I never said it was.

17. SamFisher

So then change your title to John Lucas 'should' be the next coach, or I want John Lucas to be the next head coach.

18. B

B Contributing Member

At least make your thread title something like I think Lucas will the be next coach, or John Lucas COULD (/should) be the Rockets next coach. Please don't make a misleading thread title, it hurts your credibility with everyone else here. A thread title like this one reeks as if you are just looking for attention. If you put could be or should be the next coach you'd still get plenty of discussion on the IDEA, and not a flame war.

B

19. man532

man532 Member

My man, take an advil and get off the thread. I didn't say, I heard John Lucas will be the next coach. I made definitive statement based on relationships with your FRANCHISE player not named Yao.

20. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

John Lucas WILL NOT be the next coach. I like him for player development but not as a coach. The players don't need a friend but a good coach.