1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which perimeter stars would you welcome alongside Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeekingAlpha, Mar 31, 2014.

1. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

There's so much back and forth between whether Rondo or Melo would fit alongside Harden... Let's get it all out in one thread! I'll throw my answers in too. For the purposes of this thread, let's assume they would be signed onto Houston for what they're next payday is expected to be. For example for Lilliard, don't expect to get him at his rookie contract.

1. Durant?
    Yes, no question. If Westbrook + Durant + Ibaka are legit contenders then Harden + Durant + Howard have got to be even more of a threat.

2. LeBron?
    Yes again. LeBron DOES like to dribble the ball alot, but he brings so many more intangibles (leadership, rebounding, passing, defense, transition) that even if Harden touched the ball less, it would still be a huge net positive for us.

3. Wade?
    No. Wade's not a good shooter and is in the decline.

4. Kobe?
    No again. Better shooter than Wade but is in the decline and might cause chemistry issues.

5. CP3?
    Yes, would love to have this guy playing for us although half the league might start hating us. He would set up Harden perfectly for open 3s, and Howard for open lobs. Probably the next best thing after LeBron and Durant.

6. Paul George
    Yes. Would be a huge upgrade from Parsons. Beverly + Howard + George, we'd have top 1-2 defenders at their respective positions to cover for some of the worst defenders in the league at other positions.

7. Kyrie Irving
    Maybe... He's had leadership issues, I've heard about him and Waiters butting heads but Luol Deng also said the entire management their is a complete mess so maybe he'd function much better in H-town. Defense is suspect though.

8. Carmelo?
    In my mind... Yes. He's shown he can play the catch and shoot guy in the Olympics and all star games when there are legit other threats open. I don't see why his catch and shoot on wide open jumpers would just disappear. And of course he's a solid iso option when Harden is having an off night.

9. DeMar Derozon?
    No, a little too redundant imo.

10. Joe Johnson?
    Hell no, not on that salary.

11. John Wall?
    Yes. I know some may disagree, but I think his game has progressed a lot this season. Plus he can push the break as well as any of our current guards and finish strong.

12. Stephen Curry?
    Yes please. Stick him and PG, spread the floor for Dwight and bomb away.

13. Lilliard?
    No. He's shown flashes of franchise player brilliance, but reminds me a bit of the kind of flashes that Stevie Franchise showed us. He also is god-awful at finishing layups in the paint.

14. Tony Parker?
    At this point... Yes I'd take him. He has FMVP experience and would be a net positive despite taking the ball out of Harden's hands.

15. Rondo?
    Maybe, just not sure yet due to his injuries.

There you have it... The following players I'd be comfortable with taking the ball out of Harden's hands a bit.

2. joesr

joesr Member

I was always thinking someone like Durant would make us instant but after thinking about CP3, I think he would fit better and as a team would have to the best choice out of all those.

3. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Other than the obvious LeBron and Durant.

STEPHEN CURRY. Good Lord, Curry is so hamstrung in GS because they have no shot-creators and he's still super efficient. They would be so offensively synergistic.....

They would just feed off each others production.

4. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

None of the above.

I'd like to see Morey spend some money on the bench. The players on it are just pitiful and we'll need depth to go far in the playoffs.

5. Orange

Orange Member

Any of them

6. kvnzhangyay

kvnzhangyay Member

Lebron and Durant can come off our bench

7. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

8. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Durant would be ideal. I can't even imagine this team with Durant, Harden, and Howard. 5peat.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Durant and Westbrook.

10. seyton

seyton Member

I'd prefer what we got and Kevin Love over most of those.

11. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Huh?

If you had to choose, wouldn't you chose the best player in the NBA?

LeBron James.

12. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

best player in the nba is durant

13. langal

langal Contributing Member

Bev will do nothing but shoot 3 pointers this summer.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Looking at what appears realistic for '14-'15? I'm 'intrigued' at the idea of Llull/Fernandez tandem coming over.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Durant obviously. He is close with JH and obviously the TX and Rocket ties.

Other realistic options.... Melo and Lowry.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Thank god the Rox have Parsons... If his minutes were managed more correctly, he definitely provides 80s of the what Durant and Lebron give at a bargain price...

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I would love Curry and George.

Durant is an obvious yes, of course. I think Lebron and Harden share too many characteristics, that I wouldn't want both if I could have another star that brings something else to the table. They are both elite scorers and offensive talents but both are very willing passers. They both are 25/6/6 guys. In a perfect world or video game, yes to Lebron all day every day but I would want my stars to bring different things to the table.

George would be the Scottie Pippen to Harden's Jordan. I'm not saying either of those players are Pippen or Jordan but it would be that type of combination. Simply deadly.

Curry and Harden would be deadly together. And to think GSW could of had them together..

Melo is also a good option due to his elite spot up shooting and ability to post up.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Derek Fisher did just fine with Kobe and Shaq. When it was Kobe Gasol who was their PG? I can't even remember. Was it Farmar/Shannon Brown? Who started?

PG-led teams simply do not win championships often. San Antonio hasn't won one since Parker became their best player.

All we need is a PG to get in there and play defense and hit open shots. Beverley is good enough. We just need a third star, an offensive force at SF or PF that can draw a double team on any given play. And isn't a total zero on defense.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say get Durant at SF, LeBron and PF, and Curry at PG. That would be good support for Harden. In fact, then Harden can take a vacation and we'd still win a ring. In fact, we could play 4 on 5 too, so yes, these are the best players to put along side Harden.

20. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Same could be said about SG led teams. Other than Kobe and Jordan, no other SG led team has had continual success deep into the postseason. Yes Wade won a chip in 2006 but we saw how sustainable that was the next season after, and having Shaq didn't hurt.

Given the choice between getting a guy like Aldridge/Bosh or Westbrook/Rondo, would I take the wing player? Of course not. But let's not act like this Rockets team would take a step back in talent from acquiring a star perimeter player.