1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrible officiating in the NBA thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by arno_ed, Jan 16, 2014.

1. quatin

quatin Member

Lebron taunt technical.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fm_t6OfBF7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

That's clearly a tech on Wade. Getting face to face with someone for a few seconds is NOT a tech. If it is, then it certainly is not called consistently and varies considering the players involved. Nba officiating has become so selective it's disgusting. The rigg is very much a possibility

3. quatin

quatin Member

I agree on the tech on Wade. Getting into the face of someone for a few seconds is the exact definition of a technical. It's not consistently called, but no foul is consistently called in the NBA, not even flagrant fouls.

Garcia got a techincal just for staring at Paul or do you not remember.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KPTpynCXfDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

But technicals are more defined calls. I've seen PLENTY of players get face to face, and the refs break it up and play resumes. When KD dunked on TJones this year and called him b**** so loud I heard it through the TV, the refs let it go. The fact that the calls are so selective just makes my point more valid.

I do remember that Garcia tech. It should've been a tech on Paul too ironically

5. quatin

quatin Member

No it's not. Here's the rules. How is this anything but subjective? What's blatant? What's unsportsmanlike?

If a player blatantly taunts an opponent, a technical foul shall be assessed. The opponent WILL NOT, automatically, be assessed a technical foul. His behavior will be the determining factor. Simultaneous taunting is a verbal altercation. Verbal altercations and unsportsmanlike conduct will be administered as a double technical foul and no free throws will be attempted. Technical fouls assessed to opposing teams during the same dead ball and prior to the administering of any free throw attempt for the first technical foul, shall be interpreted as a double technical foul. A PLAYER(S) GUILTY OF TAUNTING MUST BE SINGLED OUT AND PENALIZED. If a previous unsportsmanlike act has been committed and if this situation is BLATANT, a technical foul must be assessed and the guilty player(s) must be ejected.

KDs taunt on TJ was virtually the same as the the taunt he got called for in the Cavs game. Therefore, no player is immune to it, the call is just erratic, because it's a subjective rule.

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Your right. It's a subjective rule the refs use to inaccurately affect the outcome of NBA basketball games. KD's the best player on the planet, but he taunts his azz off every time we play him. The refs swallow their whistle for certain players, but also blow the whistle continiously for others. It's blatant imo. As far "A PLAYER(S) GUILTY OF TAUNTING MUST BE SINGLED OUT AND PENALIZED", that's a load of crap. Refs rarely single out who the culprit is, they see the players involved and hand out techs based off the players reputation. I've watched too many games where refs have cheated hardworking teams out of wins. It's unfair to the fans

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I think that the Stephenson call was correct in the letter of the rule. However I think the rule is stupid. For some reason stern didn't want players to show emotion.

What is wrong with looking at a player who couldn't stop you from scoring? Or with taunting him. It is a ridiculous rule, especially when it means you send one of the better players of a team out of the game in a close game.

8. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I think officiating would improve drastically if the NBA would have the officials be held accountable for their actions. I understand mistakes can sometimes be made but if its a constant occurrence, then actions need to be made.

If the NBA also takes away some of the power the officials have, the game would also be improved. The NBA have lost a large percentage of its fans over the years due to officiating alone.

No Officials were ever held accountable or punished so it will only get worst. Imagine a workplace where no employees were held accountable for their mistakes and no consequences were dished out, the place would be a mess. The workplace would fall apart simply because the employees would basically do whatever they want, not caring much for the job, and doing sloppy work knowing they won't be held responsible.

That's how the NBA is. Now there are some officials out there that tries to do their best officiating the game and making it as fair as possible and trying to make the right calls every time. But for the majority, they will continue to officiate poorly because the NBA doesn't hold them responsible for their actions.

Officials do make good money so I think the NBA should start fining the officials like they do with everyone else. Warnings will be dish out for the first few mistakes, but if the mistakes and poorly officiated games continues, then fines will be dished out. The NBA should also be more specific with the delay of game technical and also allow players to be emotional without getting a technical.

I think one of the best part of the game is when a player shows their emotion and intensity in the game. But a lot of that is taken away because of the technicals being handed out. I also hope they will cut back on the technicals and just let the players play.

9. arno_ed

And again a game changing wrong call in a mavs game (altough now not in favor of the mavs). It was a clear goaltend by JO. They didn't call it and curry hits the gamewinner.

Also i looked closely at the asik defensive 3 second call, and it was wrong he got out of the paint and back in. Hè was not in the paint longer than 2 seconds. These calls are wrong most of the time.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Blown call in the Mavs game for sure. League apologized for it today

11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I agree 100%. The fact the NBA had to have discussed this (holding officials accountable for bad calls) before but has nothing in place whatsoever baffles me. Think about it, we pay lots of $$$ for tickets to watch NBA players compete at the highest level. NBA players get paid lots of $$$ so we can watch them perform at the highest level. I'd be mad as hell if I paid money to watch a NBA game only for the FREAKIN REFS to interrupt the game with bogus azz calls. WE WANNA SEE GOOD BASKETBALL. The league spends more time protecting the refs than they do trying the uphold the intergrity of the damn game. Smh

12. arno_ed

Again a important game changing call which was clearly wrong:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VQVDSe9Zacs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. arno_ed

And the clippers call: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...ppers-23400342

14. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I think arno_ed mentioned in an earlier post regarding the anticipatory call...

I think refs are under pressure to make calls too quick, rather than take a second or two to think about it? I understand players / fans don't like late calls, but if it means more correct calls, we have to live with it.

They have their whistles in their mouths, and on a hair-trigger to blow them at the first hint...

15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

When I ask every person I know who I knew used to watch the NBA why they don't anymore. It ALWAYS leads back to the Refs being the sole reason.. how they manipulate games and lack consistency.

Oddly they still enjoy NCAA, and I agree. NCAA is officiated much better- far from perfect but far less biased and b/s.

16. dookiester

dookiester Member

NCAA games may be officiated with less bias, but to say they are officiated better? NCAA refs are notoriously terrible. Again, not biased. Just terrible at making the right call.

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

suspicious amount of OT games this post season...

18. itony

itony Member

[​IMG]

how do all three refs miss this? embarassing.the only thing that came of this is nene hit joey crawford in the face on the way down

19. itony

itony Member

*good thing

20. Rockness

Rockness Member

They also talked about another one where Gibson had the ball and others called time-out, referees were looking right him and refused to give it to him.