1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrible officiating in the NBA thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by arno_ed, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v4UsdD1-JY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No technical foul on this play for some reason.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The delay of game rule is stupid. So because the refs can't discern incidental touch from intentional delay of game, they just make it "objective"?

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I would say it's insulting to the refs to insinuate that they cannot differentiate between what's actually delaying the game and what's not, but the fact is that it's not meant for that. It's meant for the referee to be able to impact a game even further than he already does.

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

The whole outta bound replay thing is really BS considering the major difference in NBA games is fouls. They can replay 1000 outta bound calls, but the game can alway be controlled by ticky tack foul calls. The line between what's a foul and what's not is so blurred that refs will FOREVER have enough power to change the outcome of basketball games. The day the NBA starts fining it's refs for terrible calls, I'll know the rigging has ended. But until then I'll always believe the NBA has a hand in who wins & who loses to some degree

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Worst officiated sport in america

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

at least they have gotten better... best part of the video is when the ref says, "you brought the crowd down."
    [youtube]R6Su-wpCjvo[/youtube]

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Terrible call in the Indiana Miami game:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UMVqKdM6B8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know this is by the book, but these are the type of T's I really despise, luckily the Pacers still won, but this is a game changing decision by the refs.

Also look at the reaction of Wade, first he is laughing and then he thinks "wait I can get him ejected" and he starts complaining.

Terrible call.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It was a game changing decision by Stephenson. It was a clear taunt, and the refs had to call it.

I think Wade was laughing b/c he knew that Stephenson had just earned his 2nd technical, and when the refs were hesitant to call it, he started complaining.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is insulting, but the refs proved they could not differentiate what is actually a delay of game penalty.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I agree that according to the rules the refs made the right call. I just think the rule is stupid. They really want to get rid of emotion in the game.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

the terrible call was the first technical on stephenson, it was called a double tech on stephenson and wade and it should have only been a tech on wade

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

No, it was game changin by the refs. Players taunt ALL GAME. You can't pick and choose when to go by the rules. Also, did you see the first tech Stephenson got? That was worse than the one that go him ejected. Whoever is funding these rigged games must have lots of power, because the refs are so blatant with their rigging these days it's unbelievable.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Players are allowed to taunt if it isn't directed at other players.

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The call was fine but I hate that Wade snitching was what got it called.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Players need to learn to direct their emotion towards anywhere on the court besides other players and the refs. Swear, punch the air, do whatever is legal - just don't do it in the direction of someone.

16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

But players do this stuff all the time. I clearly remember a game against OKC where Durant dunked on TJones looked at him and yelled, "b****!!!!!". Was he called for a T? No. It was as if nothing happened. The refs only pull out the rulebook when they want too, period

17. quatin

quatin Member

Stephenson grabbed Chalmers wrist to stop him from chasing a loose ball. Then he got into Chalmers face and started taunting. That should've been a normal holding foul or a dead ball technical foul anyways.

Then he proceeds to taunt again after the refs already got him for it. Lol, deserved the ejection.

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

No he did not. I watched the play and they both walked over to each other, but no words were really exchanged. Even JVG stated the call was stupid given nothing really happened. Had that been LBJ, I'd bet you no call would've been issued. It's all based on status of the player in question, unfortunately that's NOT in the rulebook:(

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

QFT. the refs are just puppets and use the rulebook as a tool to make the game go the way they are instructed.

20. quatin

quatin Member

Bull. It's clearly in the video. Stephenson yanks on Chalmers wrist and when Chalmers turns around he gets a face full of Stephenson. How do you know no words were exchanged? Maybe Stephenson just wanted a hug instead? The color commentators were just too fixated on what Wade did.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gcdAaILaF40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Superstars get special treatment, it's old news. However, no one is completely immune. Between that and the refs are just erratic sometimes, people get away with stuff. Durant got called for taunting just this month at the Cavs game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A-m0pVTCBBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lebron gets called for it too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A-m0pVTCBBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>