1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TECH HELP] Wireless Router

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Mar 24, 2014.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so past 2 days i've noticed that my wireless devices (cell phone and ipad) have been having trouble sometimes recognizing my home wireless.

sometimes it pops on, sometimes it doesnt. i go into settings and it will say its searching for wireless...say connecting, then tell me it can't connect. other times it will connect.

also load times have been slow when loading a webpage on the ipad or whatever.

is the router just going bad? i've tried resetting network connection on the ipad/phone as well as my router. still getting problems.

router is quite a few years old. might be time for an upgrade anyways.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you want to be a cheap ass, upgrade the firmware. That might solve your problem.

Otherwise, it might be time to upgrade your router. Its not uncommon for older routers to start going bad over time. Just make sure you pick up a decent one.

3. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

yeah..i was looking at upgrading the firmware but it looks like my model hasnt had a firmware update in awhile...at least from what i saw on the linksys site. hell i don't know

any rec on a new router? arent there these dual band things and what not?

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

5. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

yep....you want to setup the security of course.

7. Space Ghost

I'd recommend the Dark Knight (RT-N66U). Asus is a solid product.

8. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

It would be rude of him to not share internet with his neighbors... :grin:

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You didn't look at the links, did you?

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Came here to say this. I haven't gotten one yet, but all my coworkers swear by it, I'll probably be getting one within the next few weeks.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...I bought the RT-N66U on the advice of someone here. I haven't had any issues and haven't had to cycle it once since I set it up. It seems solid.

12. Space Ghost

I was agreeing with you.

13. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

There's many things you could try like upgrading the firmware/testing other channels to see if there's wireless interference in the area.

If you're looking to upgrade I'd recommend Buffalo routers.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Space Ghost knows his Wi-Fi...take his advice.

BTW, I picked up an Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point and mounted it in my attic. I get a signal for three blocks.

[​IMG]

EDIT- I have an ASUS router too. My iOS devices would drop signal when I watched any streaming media. No problem with the new Ubiquiti access point. I still use the ASUS as the actual router with the WiFi turned off.

#14 Xerobull, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I too recommend Asus. I have their RT-AC66U and it's been great so far.

The RT-N66U has gotten strong reviews from consumers and it's a little cheaper than the RT-AC66U.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I always keep an eye out and read these router threads when they come up. I currently have a Netgear n300 and it's been working just fine over the past 3-4 years. I have Blast Internet from Comcast and regularly get 50+ down/10+ up over wifi. Had some connectivity problems with our iPhones a while back, but resetting the rouuter fixed that.

My question is: Do I stand to gain anything by upgrading to the Asus that others have posted here? My good mind is telling me to just ride the Netgear until the wheels fall off, but I really love throwing my money away on electronics and such. Especially if I can fine some type of "Family Benefit" to use to justify it.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You get that speed in the same room most likely. To answer your question, the Asus is dual band, while yours is 2.4 ghz only (No 5ghz for you). Faster file transfers between wireless clients. The Asus will give you better range in your house and faster speed further away from the router. You can connect a printer or usb storage directly to the router. Which mean you can share files direct from the router as well as wirelessly print (if you don't have a wifi printer).

18. Space Ghost

Haha Nice! Just a tad bit overkill :)

Maybe you should consider putting a hotspot portal on your AP.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I got it so I could set up my kid with a voip app on my old iphone so I could call him when he's playing around the 'hood.

Don't want to share my internets. It did get me thinking about setting up a wifi ISP, because the options here (Friendswood) are Comcast, ATT DSL or capped cell provider APs. I would need to do some deep digging and find the fiber junction so I could set up my last mile from there.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Posting here instead of starting a new thread.

Comcast recently doubled their speeds in the Houston area and I'm now getting around 110 down. There's a thread with more info on this in the Classifieds section. But every since I reset the modem and the speeds increased my router won't connect to the web. It comes on and broadcasts a signal that I can connect to, but it won't connect to the internet.

I asked a question about this same router a few posts back when this thread was made. It's a Netgear n300. Anyone know what could be causing this. I'm sure it's related to the Comcast update/speeds because it was working just fine before.