1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Garcia vs. Hamilton vs. Casspi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Mar 24, 2014.

?

The following player should be first off the bench to back up the small forward position.

1. Omri Casspi

15 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Jordan Hamilton

88 vote(s)
    71.0%
  3. Francisco Garcia

21 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Who deserves minutes as the backup wing guy? In my opinion, it should go to the player who most closely resembles a 3 & D player. They all shoot the 3 about the same - the edge there maybe should go to Garcia, because he has hit clutch 3's - even in the most recent game against the Thunder, the guy was hitting clutch 3's. I think Garcia is past his early season slump. Who plays the best defense? I'd like to defer to you guys on that one.

I also think Garcia has one plus over Hamilton and Casspi - ball movement. I am so sick of seeing Hamilton - and to a lesser extent Casspi - drive the ball instead of passing to the open man and bricking some shot. Typically, Garcia seems to pass it around til it finds the open man. Actually, I'm beginning to fail to see why Hamilton is getting any time.

2. noone

noone Rookie

Garcia is the best at interpreting what to do on the court. Casspi is the best talent but doesn't interpret anything. That's what he needs to succeed in the nba. Hamilton is in between but he's a whole lot of mediocre.

3. Dei

Dei Member

Garcia is pretty much what he is - mediocre. But he's better than Hamilton right now. Hamilton's still pretty raw but he's got a higher ceiling than Garcia.

Casspi I'm not even gonna touch.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

playoffs, I will go with the VET Garcia.

5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Casspi is much better at the 4 than the 3. I don't even think he should be an option there at this point.

And while I trust Garcia more, Hamilton is more useful against teams with some athleticism (in that he can run and defend). That's not to say Hamilton's a great athlete, but he's much more agile than concrete-feet-Garcia.

So if Hamilton finds his stroke, he should be option #1. But if he's off his game, there's no reason why Garcia shouldn't get those minutes.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Scenario dependent. If we aren't making shots, we need to go with Garcia, but most of the time I'd like to try out Hamilton. He's aggressive and has good enough handles to be a more versatile scorer than the other two. If Hamilton's shot isn't falling, I'd roll with Garcia.

Overall I like Garcia, but I fear his overaggressive defense.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

They are all rather disappointing at the moment.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

let garcia and hamilton battle it out during the last 15 games to decide who gets the playoff minutes...

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Mchale's philosophy of "who's hot" tells me that the decision could change from game to game

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I have to go with Hamilton. He is more athletic, a better rebounder, better defender and can also hit spot up threes, even if he has been slumping recently. And I actually like that he can put the ball on the floor and drive to basket then shoot a floater or finish. And who doesn't love those fast break blocks he seems to get every game?!

The one thing about Casspi and Garcia is that they are too 1 dimensional. All they can really do is shoot, and this season at only a mediocre rate, so having them on the floor really hurts this team. Garcia is too slow to be a consistent threat to drive and Casspi is too wild and gets in trouble when he drives.

Defensively, I like Casspi's effort but he is too small to guard the better and bigger 4's and too slow to guard a 3, and unless the other team has a Durant, Garcia struggles defensively. Hamilton is big and athletic enough to guard either the 2 or 3. He needs to get a little stronger though.

11. yummyhawtsauce

Somewhat agree. I think I like Hamilton a bit more - but if he is not doing well then certainly put in Garcia. In fact, maybe Hamilton could be on the floor with Garcia...

Absolutely hate Casspi. Guy is auto-jacker. Wild driver to the rim, not that athletic. Kind of sloppy. Also dislike it when Hamiliton puts up a contested 3 instead of passing to the open man.

Found it funny that Mchale right away used Hamilton heavily over those two.

12. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

I'd be curious to see all 3 of their stats (offensive and defensive) side by side.

But from just watching games, I'm definitely liking hamilton the most at the time. He seems the most locked in defensively, even if he sometimes makes over-aggressive low IQ plays on that end.

He's had a few chasedown blocks in fast break and it seems like he is the only wing player besides Beverley giving that much effort.

13. yummyhawtsauce

Agreed, I really like his effort, but he makes mistakes everyone once in awhile, while Casspi makes a lot...Garcia is what he is, just a guy who shoots the 3, which I am okay with. There were several times where I wanted Garcia to take more 3s but Mchale already took him out. Might have been the heat game or chicago, can't remember.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I like Hamilton, but all are fairly weak options

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Probably Garcia. I imagine he can bring a better mental game to the playoffs as opposed to JHAM.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't forget how Garcia played OKC last year in the playoffs.

Don't forget how much Casspi can suck when he sucks.

17. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I expect McHale will likely go with DMo as his 8th guy off the bench for spot minutes at the 4 during the playoffs, but will rely heavily upon Lin & Asik to back up Bev/Harden/Parsons and Jones/Howard, respectively. Garcia may replace DMo, depending on the team, i.e. against a Portland or GS, you may see Garcia due to the recent increase in his 3P%, allowing Parsons to act as a stretch 4 at times.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

McHale seems to be going away from a small ball lineup now that Jones and D-Mo have earned their chops. I am uncertain how many minutes will be available at the four.

19. Honeybager81

Honeybager81 Member

I would go with Hamilton although I am not impresses by his recent plays. He needs to settle down, play within the flow of the offense. He has been forcing shots a little bit lately. Always liked his defense though.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Would have been nice to have Danny Granger.