1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hopkins

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by body slam, Mar 18, 2014.

1. NotChandlerParsons

It was fine, and he's going to be fine. Not worried about him.

2. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I think he had a good season. With a consistent and familiar QB I think he can do better

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wasn't that impressed, but how do you "shine" on a 2-14 team?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The poor team record doesn't mean that there weren't any great individual performances.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He had a very good year as a rookie WR. He was inconsistent, but that's what rookies do. He had to overcome inconsistent QB play, and still managed over 800 yds. As advertised, not especially gifted, but he's sound fundamentally, more athletic than people give him credit for, he competes for the ball, and he's got outstanding hands. He should flirt with 1,000 yds next year, and for many years after, but I still don't see him as a true #1.

...now pair him next to Watkins...scary ;)

6. Nook

Nook Member

Riiiight and getting 3 sacks in a season isn't a good indicator of a players effort or impact? You rely on statistics when they align with your opinion, and disregard them otherwise... You cannot have it both ways.

I didn't say he was a disaster, only that his route running was not satisfactory, even for a rookie.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Besides Keenum's TD passes to Andre, I can't remember much to get really excited about.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ugh, really? You can't say that a rookie WR who caught 50+ passes for 800+ yards was "unsatisfactory" just the same as you can't say that a player who winds up with 25 sacks was terrible. If a say a WR got only a handful of receptions for a couple hundred yards but was used almost completely in a blocking role, you could say they did well despite their lack of stats....you can look for a reason why the stats weren't there.

Maybe it would help if I was able to post a venn diagram of it....Imagine 3 circles, Circle 1 is a really big circle called "Good seasons" Circle 2 is completely inside circle 1 and it's called "Statistically good seasons" and circle 3 is slightly overlapping circle 1 and not overlapping circle 2 at all and is called "statistically poor seasons.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nice season... scale 1-10... very high six

Looks like an adequate #2 caliber receiver for years to come. Upgrade over Walter with a chance to get better. #1 better, probably not.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched every game and my initial reaction at the end of the season was pretty meh. He made some spectacular grabs but I felt like he went for long periods of time where he totally disappeared. But then when I saw his cumulative stats at the end of the season it was hard for me to say he didn't have a good rookie season. I guess where I'm concerned is that the stats we saw from him last year are roughly as good as it will get from him. I hope that's not the case but that's the impression I got from watching last season.

11. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

He looked decent. I liked his ability to go up and get the pass at its highest point. He never should have been drafted ahead of Patterson, who was #1 talent, which Hopkins never was. He just has too slight a build. Maybe Posey will end up being a #1, Torry Holt type.

12. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

He looked kinda like he did in college--just less of it because he wasn't targeted as much. when they did throw to him, he caught it. He was responsible for half of our wins this season.

13. Fantasma Negro

I give him a C+. I know we had shoddy qb play but he disappeared in way too many games

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, he's not, he has much better hands.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Debatable. 1,600 yds with no qb is very impressive

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's actually not debatable, Josh Gordon's dropped pass percentage was literally more than twice as high as Hopkins....of course it's not really fair to compare Gordon to someone as sure handed as Hopkins.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fact, only 7 WR's in the NFL had more dropped more passes than Josh Gordon last year.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

HAHA just trolling you like I always do on that subject :cool: