1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Science Deniers Are Freaking Out About “Cosmos”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Mar 19, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Atheism is the new vegan. Not like a give a **** but stop being douche bags about it

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I have never understood why some Christians have been unwilling to accept evolution. You can even take it a step further. God made us in his image, but it took him 14.8 billion years and a millions of species to "make" us. Evolution was created to create us. I find that explanation to be a lot more believable than god simply poofing us into existence as-is.

That being said, even if there is a creator to our universe, that doesn't in any way mean that Christianity is correct. It doesn't mean any of the other 10,000 religions we've had are correct, either.

3. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

The science deniers are freaking out about Cosmos because the illusion only works if they can crowd out scientific explanations. If all the faithful ever hear from the pulpit is "Look how complicated the human eye is! It's got all these little intricate parts! Do you really think it just 'came together' from a puddle of goo? Therefore God, checkmate, atheists!", that sounds both intuitive and compelling. Functioning machines don't arise from goo.

But when people can see a step-by-step explanation of how each successive arrangement of light-sensitive cells offers a competitive advantage to the creatures that have that arrangement (and that we have examples of each step in the process in creatures alive today) then it quickly becomes apparent that they've been lied to and that the science deniers are attacking a straw man.

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No it's never both "sides". One is an empty superstitious claim that fooled billions of people, another is the principle, the dedication of finding the truth --- it's a life long process, scientists might be able to explain, but they also pretend to know.

5. Akim523

Akim523 Member

So you can see God? Great, show him to me

6. Akim523

Akim523 Member

You say no, or at least you don't know until God himself is proven.

7. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Fixed

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hello, a lot of you guys are forgetting about the BIBLE...HELLO?

1 person likes this.
  9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

You mean the book that was written in bronze age?

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

We're a virus. According to my bio prof Agent Smith

11. HookemHorns1250

Bleh, just a nut. If you believe in God you believe in God, you shouldn't be "Scared," about a show etc. That's why it's called faith. Don't like the show? Don't watch it.

I'm a Christian, but by no means does that not stop me from watching anything on the Discovery channel....mysteries of space...etc. Why can't one believe one and the other?

12. dback816

dback816 Member

So a few hundred years ago it was God creating everything from nothing and taking a nap in seven days.

Now it's God created the cosmos by giving it the spark that Big Bang needed and set the path of humanity using evolution in "God days", which are billions of years in human days.

I'm guessing give it a few more centuries and science's understanding of the universe deepens, Christians will claim God is also part of whatever discoveries and theories that dominate during the time...

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is awesome.

Declare objectivity illusive and you will never have to confront being wrong - basically it's like arguing with DaDakota back in the day about something when he resorts to the ol' "its just opinion nobody is right or wrong" tack

14. dback816

dback816 Member

Or it's lime trying to convince you that Asian students deserve their success. :rolleyes:

15. SamFisher

It breaks down though when you start to look at it - the how and the why become intertwined to the point where they're not easily extractable and the "how" begins to become the "why".

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hello, BIBLE ~ HELLLLLLLO!

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Tyson has a more of a hard-on for religious people than the reverse.

18. SamFisher

Not really - whether somebody is a "better" addition to a college student body is not a yes or no answer. It's like asking which is the prettier snowflake? Who knows. It's definitely not a science. Nor is asking whether or not somebody "deserves their success"

Whether there's a magic man in the sky/some form of personal/conscious god creating things in the physical world you and I inhabit is a lot closer to an objective question - and one for which there's not a whole ton of evidence.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Republicans and reality don't mix.

1 person likes this.
  20. smr6

smr6 Member

Yes it is both sides.

And you being condescending in every reply on this thread only shows that there is a "both sides" to this. You are acting like you are better than every person who disagrees with you here. Sure there are religious people who pretend to know, but that isn't the majority considering the basis of religion is to have faith in the unknown.

You act like science is so black and white. I take an active interest in science and follow the developments. If you claim to rely on science as much as you say then you would know that it is always changing. What was considered scientific fact 50 years ago, is laughed at now, and much of what is considered fact now will be laughed at 50 years from now.

And keep in mind that this is all theory, not law. There is a lot of evidence to support this theory, but there are also many SCIENTISTS who disagree and propose other theories. So don't argue that science is so right, when there isn't even a consensus amount themselves. Just like how each religion or belief has a different creation story as well. Yes, this theory has the majority of the support, but you can say that about Christianity too within the religious arena.

I'm not going to say what is right and what is wrong. That is for each person to decide on their own. I only tried to point out in my original comment that neither side should judge or degrade the other as a result. And yet, you come in and do just that.