1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More TJo and DMo please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 16, 2014.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So can TJo - and Dmo - point being is they need playing time to develop and gain confidence as all young players do.

DD

2. basketballholic

In a video game perhaps. But not in real games.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is a moronic statement. You think players just "get better" over a summer?

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So your PF demands are now growing once again. Now not only do they need to be able to shoot the 3 at the same rate as an average NBA SG, and rebound & defend the paint at the same level as a top 10 defensive Center, but now they need to have the handles of Rafer Alston?

Sounds a ton like Derrick Williams or Jason Smith to me.

5. DaDakota

I am just going to ignore the pedantic commentary of BBallholic, he has nothing substantive, nor any particular understanding other than he hates our PFs.

DD

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How can we call Morey a Genius if he can't land us a PF with the skills and athleticism of....Lebron James:rolleyes:

7. dobro1229

I think you meant to say Derrick Williams. Apparently he's got the potential to surpass James with the right opportunity.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

So whose brilliant idea was it not to teach young players more sets, but allow them to run a free-flowing offense, that for repeated times now, has been shown to be easily picked apart by playoff teams?

Howard's post play is disappointing even himself. Harden has to play perfect for us to even have a chance. Parsons has disappeared. Now we're relying on playing 3 guards in late game situations to generate offense. It worked vs. POR but only because their defense is poor. Vs. a rested MIA, easily handled.

Teach more plays, call more plays. So they have something to fall back on when Howard and Harden are stymied. In the 1st half, MIA ran an out-of-bounds play with 0.7 secs left that led to a Lebron basket. JVG called the play when he saw their formation. A few plays back, we had 2secs left to run a play but we got a 5sec violation.

Many many moons ago, it was at this point of frustration that Les Alexander listened to one Rick Adelman when he said, "I can make it easier for your superstars to score." We're in the same boat today. We have the talent. Help them win more easily.

And coaches should not be stubborn about their rotations. Once they see something not working, make the quick change right away. Don't wait for the 13-0 run by the opponents. Or 19-0 vs. Bulls the other night. You make the guys feel that they're alone out there; no one's strategizing for them.

9. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Its funny how people expect first/second year players to be finished products. If they don't have a skill people think they cant ever develop that skill. Young players need to play in real games to further their development. Just look at Parsons, his first year he was a lock down defender who couldn't dribble or shoot to save his life. He worked on those skills and has now turned into a solid player. People just need to give these young players a chance to grow and improve.

10. dobro1229

^ It's amazing here that people still think McHale and the Rockets do not run plays.

YES.... they run plays.

The problem is the ball slogs down in the final 5 minutes of the game, the sets get broken, and become Iso hero ball....

However, Harden is one of the best Iso scorers in the league, and if the opposing defense is locked in, I'd rather go with Harden Iso than try and force feed a Jones back cut, or a Lin contested 3 with the Likes of a Lebron James draped all over them.

The problem isn't that the Rockets do not run plays or use sets that they run consistently, its that they break them at the end of games when the defense forces them out of their sets, and they aren't able to push the ball in transition.

Its not an easy fix, but that's the truth right now that they are dealing with when playing in the half court when Dwight isn't dominating his matchup on the low block.

11. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Terrence Jones should've been traded high at the trade deadline. He takes too much away from the table while offering little. He gets destroyed in every match up against a top west team except the spurs. And he is terrible and undersized on defense. His hustle/tempo plays have gone down. I don't think DMo is the permanent answer at PF but its starting to look like he fits with the starters better. Terrence and Lin are better suited coming off the bench.

Look at the numbers showing production of the 5 man lineups with Jones or DMo (I understand that the starters with TJones have played roughly 9 times the amount of time as they have with Dmo, but still)

All stats are net, meaning the opponents numbers are substracted.

FG%
    T: +.035%
    D: +.105%

3P%
    T: +.004%
    D: +.247%

TRB%
    T: +5.4
    D: +17.3

AST
    T: -2.5
    D: +4.7

All stats are from Basketball-reference.com

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2014/lineups/

Oh, and Jones steals rebounds, but that's more of a personal thing I don't like about him.

12. basketballholic

LOL at you guys saying I hate our PFs. LOL Simply not true. Just being objective about where they are at and what this team is trying to accomplish contrary to the OP who thinks we aren't really trying to win a championship this season.

13. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

in the 1st 1/2 of the season when e had consistant minutes Casspi was very consistant.

and he still the best perimeter defender and spacer the rocket have at the 4 position.
    we should play him more esppaicelly against team like MIami who play small ball

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL there's still Casspi fans out there? That's hilarious.

15. DaDakota

Honestly, they should be posting up DMo - and playing both DMo and TJones together....

Ehem - yes......as I was saying.

;)

DD

#75 DaDakota, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I wonder what the Jones hater have to say about his performance tonight since he is not a quality starting PF. That supposedly 8 or 9th man off the bench went off for 30 points 5 rebounds and 4 blocks. LOL This is his second 30 point game, season average 11.4 with 7 rebounds. And he is not a quality starter bwhahahahahaha. Oh this is his second year.

Basketballaholic you are off the chains SIR.

17. DaDakota

37pts and 16 rebounds between the two of them.

Dmo had 5 Turnovers, but 3 of them were moving picks, easily correctable.

DD

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You have been wrong all year about Jones bro. Dude so far is making you eat your words. But the problem is, you haven't admitted that you were wrong. You are trying your best you stand your ground. Bwhahahahaha give the young man his props.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

They balled out of control tonight but dude will come back with, " it was against the Jazz". LOL Let me see them do it against players like Blake, Randolph or any other top 10 PF's.

20. DaDakota

No one does it against them - but you can be a threat and not have all stars at every position, give TJo and Dmo some time and they will both be very good NBA players.

DD