1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Also, we're not sure if the Knicks would even want Parsons. Nobody knows how much Parsons will get in the open market as his contract expires and he'll be a UFA.

Parsons at minimum is ridiculous. Parsons at $8M is a good deal. Parsons at $12M... not so much.

2. playlife

playlife Member

There is something called salary cap.

3. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Hopefully we can land Melo. It would be great to get those other superstars, but how? Melo is the best chance because Phil isn't a Melo fan. What other offer can Phil get where Asik and Lin's contracts come off the books for 2015? If a Dwight Harden Parsons and Melo core can't win a championship, that's on them. It's a perfect fit because Melo won't be the man.

4. hollandog

hollandog Member

i think it could work. harden has to play more playmaking role. dwright stops with his high school post up and play the tyson chandler role. melo will be the shot jacking machine and he's good at it.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets defense wouldn't be much different honestly.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He's aware. That's why he brought up 2015.

7. ths balla

ths balla Member

agree 100%, this is the Melo I believe we would be getting, Olympic Melo who does it all

8. buck711

buck711 Member

Exactly, thank you for such a clear concise opinion.

9. Kid Canada

Kid Canada Member

LOL, good one

10. SacTown

SacTown Member

Do you guys realize that Carmello has never won a thing regardless of what team he's been on or what type of Talent that's surrounded him?

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

George Karl didn't want him... and honestly the nuggets were just as good or better after he left.

12. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

rockets cant afford melo...so this is just pointless espn first take fodder

1 person likes this.
  13. torocan

torocan Member

Neither did Dirk until he won a chip. Neither did Marino until he got the right team around him.

Enough talent, the right team, the right coach... you need all 3 and I don't think we can say Melo's has had the right situation for much of his career.

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Meh, I'm not sold on Melo, I would MUCH rather have Love! You can never have to much Love in your life! What I do like about this rumor, is the rumor itself! Seems like Houston is mentioned in any potential movement of a superstar! It is a complete 180 from a few years back!!

"Happy days"
    Goodbye grey sky, hello blue
    cause nothing can hold me when I hold you
    feels so right it can't be wrong
    rockin' and rollin' all week long

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Here is what PROBABLY happens.

Before free agency, Morey picks up the phone and calls his protege Sam Hinkie up in Philly and says: "Listen I need to clear Lin off the books", can you help me out? Just like the Royce White cap clear, for Dwight Howard, Hinkie will ask for a pick or maybe Jones to get it done. Morey will then line up an Asik trade somewhere for a future pick or something along those lines giving himself the ability to have near max cap room (~17m in space depending on what the cap goes too next year).

With that in his back pocket, Morey will go to Melo's agent and say " I have got the ability to clear the cap, is Melo interested in being here?" If yes, then Morey and the agent will go to Dolan and say: "Melo is signing with Houston for 17m, it is costing Houston Lin/Asik/Jones to clear the space, but we are getting a pick back. We can make this a little easier for everyone if you want. You can sign and trade him to us for 20m and take Lin/Asik/Jones for yourself, or we can just bypass you all together. Its up to you. By the way, we have explained to Melo and his agent the tax advantages Texas provides over New York, as well as the pricing index (IE how much a dollar buys in New York vs. how much it buys in Houston).

Chicago likely has a similar plan.

16. chandlerbang21

and???????

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

My brain is saying, "Sure, this can only make us better,"

But my stomach is saying, "NO NO NO NO NO."

Net result? Vomit in mouth.

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

That's what they said about Lebron in his Cleveland days.

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

He did win a national championship leading a college team as a freshman. Or are we just talking about the NBA? Plenty of NBA greats never won a ring.

20. chandlerbang21

he will be a FA free to sign with who he pleases. Rockets can also trade lin,asik+1 for him. Not hard