1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Posture - anyone have any tips?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Mar 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Many people suffer with bad posture. I have had bad posture for most of my life due to slouching all of the time while sitting in desks at school. I just now realized that my bad posture was the cause of my lower back being curved more than it's supposed to be.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing their bad posture? Any tips or exercises you could recommend would be great. I'm getting a foam roller (rumble roller) soon as well.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Same thought going through my head today as I too have bad posture.

I'm going to the gym later to do deadlifts, squats, good mornings. I rarely ever work out my lower back.

3. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Lots of good core exercises. Abs, back (whole thing...not just lower). Those will help.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you know a good chiropractor, they can be of some help. Everytime I visit mine, I have to readjust my rearview mirror before leaving the parking lot.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Strengthen your core.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

with yoga!

i was having back and neck problems to the point where they sometimes kept me up at night. started doing yoga a year a ago and those pains are a distant memory. plus my core is rock solid and i look totally hot. i went down a pant size without losing any weight.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just stop slouching and do some ab work and lower back exercises. Slouching didn't permanently curve your spine.

8. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Exercise helps a lot, but it's also about confidence and habit.

I've seen people who don't even go the gym, but project their body nicely.

And I've also seen people who go to the gym regularly, but don't know how to present a good posture. :grin:

9. jbasket

jbasket Member

What are some good lower back exercises? Thank you in advance.

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

Thanks for the advice so far - please keep them coming.

My shoulders / upper back also hunch forward slightly due to this poor posture.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Supermans are good to start with

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KY4tftZMXCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

1 person likes this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know what I said earlier might have sounded kind of dumb, but I was serious. Just be aware of when you are slouching and try to stop doing it. Sit up straight, pull your shoulders back, lift your head up and don't slouch. When you are walking around just practice that behavior.

#12 robbie380, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. Swishh

Swishh Member

No, I know, I took the advice. Just wondering if there are some stretches and other exercises I should be doing as well. My shoulders are slightly rounded AND my lower back is curved - I think these are 2 separate imbalances, which would require more than just pulling my shoulders back.

What I mean is, I don't think pulling my shoulders back will do anything for my lower, curved back. Am I wrong?

Thanks again.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Start lifting weights. It fixed my posture up since I had to have good form when I would actually lift the weights. Rounded back when doing rows equals slipped disc or worse.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some Yoga or traditional Kung Fu will do wonders for it. Strengthen the core, 20 reps a day practice pinching your shoulder blades together while slightly lowering the chin towards your chest in order to lengthen the top part of your spine.

That stuff will help. Also try and be aware of your bad posture habits and correct them when you can.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This. My wife is a Palates instructor and ever since I started Palates I sit up straight, I walk without the bad posture and it seems I'm always focusing on the core without even noticing it. Palates >>>>> Yoga big time.

17. BonziWellsGOAT

Someone's gotta say it...................................

Superman dat hoe

18. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

This. Do it. Surefire lower back workout.

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

when inactive people (in general) say they have shoulder problems it's usually caused by poor posture too, especially those who sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not sure you can fix it completely with short term efforts like exercise or chiropractor visits. I know they help. But if you're at a desk all day you've got to ditch the traditional chair and use a ball or standing desk or something. That's probably the best long term approach. I haven't done it because I don't want to look like a huge douche bag.