1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Examples Of Team Beat Writer Being Shut Out For Unfavourable Coverage?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Christopher, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Member

Here in Australia sports writers are blowing up because sporting competitions are giving them less open access to players, coaches and officials.

My argument is that sporting clubs are just minimizing risk to the product they are selling, especially in the face of the tabloid garbage many of the media outlets here in Australia produce.

Many times the answer to that from journalists is "In the US sporting teams allow much more access and look what it does to boost sport there". I tend to think they overplay that argument though.

So....what I'm asking for is this.....

Are there any examples you can give me of sporting clubs that have basically "shut out" journalists who have given them unfavorable coverage?

I searched online and it was hard to find anything at all. To be fair, what writer wants to publish a story about how he isn't welcomed at a certain club.

Help me out here Clutchfans!

2. conquistador#11

Fran blindburry? I remember one of his articles 3 years ago, bashing maury, peeved me so badly that I created an account to reply to his joke of an article.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ask Dale robertson.

DD

1 person likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The best examples of this probably happen in tiny little college towns where the athletic department basically runs the joint like a shadow government.

5. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Ask Sharyl Attkisson who was just fired at CBS for unflattering coverage of the White House.

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

It's a bloody hard topic to search for on google....and I consider myself a google master! :-D

Every example you post here is awesome! A lot of soccer clubs in the UK do it. I've found one example of the Miami Heat banning a Cleveland based writer. Just looking for more NBA examples mostly as our journalists over here hold it up as the good standard for player access.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol; repped!

I think Jay Mariotti had a big issue with the teams he covered in Chicago. A lot of times he'd write articles without ever being in the locker room. Total rip jobs that had many people pissed at him to the point where they were daring him to show up in the clubhouse after games to "talk through their issues."

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's cute when sports writers blow up or try and get all high and mighty, like they're important or that we care.

9. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

John Clayton, who was a reporter for a Pittsburgh newspaper, was shut out by Chuck Noll (head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers) in the 1970s. The Steelers were wearing pads in practice during a time when they weren't allowed to wear pads. Clayton reported the infraction to the league, and the Steelers lost a draft pick in 1978. Noll called Clayton a "spy".

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ Well done by Clayton. I would have done the same.

I am not sure what you mean by "unfavorable" (U.S. spelling?) coverage. That if I write a bad article citing or uncovering some dislike-able truth, I won't be hired? :confused:

:eek: I believe (Tim? Tom?) Fowler after the 1994 World Cup game of Brasil vs. Italy wrote something "unfavorable." Dude was almost hung by lynchers in response to a column he wrote about how the game was bad. I am not sure why he kept a job after that. He got lots of 'press' and I guess that is why they kept him.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

let me first apologize for derailing your thread

but, what is the rockets connection with australia, there are quite a few rockets fans from there and i'm wondering where did the love come from?

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

They were David Andersen only fans that decided to stick around.

13. GIGO

GIGO Member

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

OI, I'm a 99er

15. Christopher

Christopher Member

For me I saw a dude with a name I could hardly pronounce that was incredible so I started to follow the team he played for.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Axel Dench once played for the Rocket's NBA Summer League team.

:)

17. Christopher

Christopher Member

Here in Australia a lot of our media started to push towards trashy tabloid journalism about 5 years ago. So sportsmen here find their personal lives become very public, even if it isn't newsworthy, and trashy stories written up about them on a regular basis.

Any time a player or team doesn't cooperate with the media they get SMASHED. One Sydney newspaper whose relationship with an NRL club soured at one point started photoshopping that clubs sponsors logos off their jersey when they put a photo of them in their paper.

Now that sports teams here can reach so much of their fan base through social media, they don't need to rely on traditional media as much. So they are cutting back on the access they give and the traditional media is basically whinging about it, saying it will lead to the sports losing supporters.

Which leads me into journos that have been cut out of the loop by clubs because of the unfavourable stories they have written. The examples you've all posted are fantastic. It's a hard subject to find into on.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wasn't Richard Justice banned from the Texans locker room or something for antagonizing players? I don't really remember the details now.

19. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Zan Tabak? :confused:

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pancakes is on the verge of being banned from the Texans locker room due to his unfavorable coverage of their buffet line.