1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steven Adams - elite defender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Mar 11, 2014.

1. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Howard always suck versus OKC, if ain't Perkins it's some random scrub.

2. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Lol Dwight just has no offensive game. He averages a lot of points because there aren't many competent Cs nowadays.

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

If the Rockets don't make threes, it's even worse because they all swarm around Dwight, limiting his space for any moves.

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

True. Yao guarded Dwight really well.

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Adams is a Kiwi cheap shot artist that gets away with a lot of elbows, shoves & grabs.

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

Unacceptable but he's worth it for his defense.

7. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Howard is not a traditional post-up player, he doesn't have a back-to-basket game. He always turns to face the basket when received the ball in the post, and it's hard to get around the defender with a big body when you are that close to the basket.

He is not strong enough to get deep post position, so the only way to utilize him is to get him the ball on the move, but that requires a great team effort, which this Rockets team doesn't have right now.

Let's hope they can figure something out in the next 20 games.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Expect anything less from a New Zealander?

9. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

This kid has been hanging out with Fisher too long. I saw him flop so many times he made Harden and Paul proud. His olympian sister is more of a man than this punk.

10. ERC

ERC Member

Yeah. Obviously everyone has an "off" game every so often, but I was sort of expecting a great game from Howard with Perkins out. Guess Adams did decent enough of a job on the defensive end in place of Perkins. And since OKC doesn't rely on Perkins to score, they didn't miss a beat on the offensive end. :(

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I disagree that Dwight isn't strong enough to pin his defender. Problem is as we saw with Yao many time he's penalized for being bigger than everyone else.
    My take is Dwight lacks the basketball IQ that Dream and to an extent Yao had. Understanding your opponent and what the defense gives you is key. Regardless of who is guarding him Dwight will try to back them down and play into a double team or bogart his way to the rim. He has gone away from some of the moves that Hakeem has worked with him on.
    It's simple, with a traditional sized 5 Dwight should know to extend his post positioning and face up. Opening up reverse pivots and short hooks. With a smaller 5 or 4 he can have his back to the basket touches and back to the basket post moves.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Yea, when we signed Howard we were expecting him to be a low post offensive juggernaut since that's where value lies. We also didn't expect him to ever, ever, ever, EVER have an off night.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

HOWARD SUCKS! HOWARD SUCKS! HOWARD SUCKS!

14. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

adams got away w/ lots of elbows, grabbing, etc etc
    i dont get why league/referees r so ready to whistle at any contact on guards and r not doing anything to stop the wrestling in the paint

15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Nope...

16. BonziWellsGOAT

Dwight had a bad game.....there isnt always something bigger at play, take it for what it is and dont read too much into it

17. BonziWellsGOAT

Nut punches?

[​IMG]

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I said in another thread, Adams played his game well but I felt like it was a lot of baloney involved. Pushing people to get a reaction and act like it wasn't him. Manhandling folks on one play, falling over like a man who doesn't weigh 3 bills on another...so on.

And the shot against Harden? C'mon bro. Harden should've jacked you up for that (and my guess is probably could).

Meh. OKC fan probably has something similar to say about PB although I think Beverley is just hated for being a good defender. Maybe also for trolling everyone on the timeout lol...but I don't really see Beverley pushing people around, throwing elbows (more like catching them) and so on like Adams was doing....

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Why do I have a feeling,to you, the worst part of that is... he is a Kiwi? :grin:

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A blessing "in the skies"?

No no no no....

A blessing in disguise.