1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chandler Parsons now the worst defender on the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Mar 11, 2014.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Chandler came into the league thinking he needed to be a defender to stick around but how that he has shown to be offense oriented he got cocky and stopped caring about his defense.

1 person likes this.
  2. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

Also please remember that Parsons played 46 minutes tonight. He is asked to play that much, help the bench unit, guard the opposing top wing player, sometimes check the opposing power forward, and somehow be the secondary option on offense. He's top 5 in minutes played and is incredibly vital to the teams success in every facet. No wonder his floaters didn't go in or garcias D was better towards the end. Parsons legs must be dead after so much play.

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Exactly, Parsons is the you're defense since KD is always not yesterday. Thus errday I'm hustling therefore boom shakalaka. Nah mean?

4. ERC

ERC Member

Someone mentioned it on Twitter (can't remember who/when, so don't ask me) that it's a smart move for CP to focus more on offense than defense this year, because offensive scoring (Melo, Kyrie, Harden) is valued more on the free agent market than a lock-down defender (Tony Allen, Sefolosha). Not saying CP's scoring is at that elite level but it's definitely drawing more attention outside of Houston this year.

5. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

No. Harden is by far the worst defender on the team but he and Parsons are both below average defenders.

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It's easy to start these threads after playing and losing to a team that features Kevin Durant. In other words, this is a knee jerk/closed minded thread.

I'll agree that Parsons isn't the defender we all fell in love with after his rookie year or at least what we thought we had in him as a defender after his rookie year. And while his offensive seems to grow exponentially yearly, his defense seems to take a step low just as well. But it's not like he is a horrid defender. He is still at least average to above average.

Parsons isn't the naturally talented defender gifted with elite length, speed or athletic ability like a George, Jimmy Butler or Iguodala and he isn't the "tenacious try his hardest to prevent others from scoring" defender like a Beverley, Tucker or Allen. He is just a player who has above average defending talent who tries to use them as best he can. This is who he is and what he will always be unless he changes his mentality to fully become a defensive mastermind who uses his high IQ and intense study ala prime Shane Battier.

In his rookie year, he was that type of player. While everyone wants to remember Parsons rookie defense, they forget that in a lot of games he was almost a liability on offense. Unless his jumper was falling, Parsons gave almost nothing else on offense except for his infamous put backs. It's hard to be a near elite defender while putting great offensive numbers. Those guys are usually the stars of this league and naturally talented as so.

So it comes down to which Parsons you want? Near elite defense with little offense or above average offense and defense? I would always take the latter. And while I would like for Parsons to become a bit more solid especially in his risk taking on defense, it's no coincidence that whoever ever someone is hot or in the last few possessions, parsons always seems to be guarding the best perimeter.

7. Honeybager81

Honeybager81 Member

he is not cocky, he is all around good player, a team player, but you can not overplay him, coaches, i am talking to you... there are other role players in the team

8. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Exactly. Granted our crappy team defense doesn't help, but Parsons hasn't been a good defender in a long time. He knows he needs to raise his defensive numbers to net that big contract.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

See,this is me. When you play against kawaii or aminu,you might can be a lttle lax,but durant is different. Nobody in their right mind expects parson to stop durant,but he neds to do a better job in making it tough for him. He needs to zoom in and at least hold durant to his avg. Lately, it seems like durant is getting any look he wants. That's not cutting it.

10. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I think we should sign Wesley Johnson or PJ. Tacker

11. anthony1604

anthony1604 Member

**** this ***** should of got rondo

12. joesr

joesr Member

Haha! Sorry, typing from a phone can be a struggle. ;(. Just saying it isn't just todays game.

13. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

no he is not

But he is a bad defender and I don't see him in the future after 2015

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Chandler's jumpshot has gone to crap the last month. Fortunately, he's pretty good in other areas of his game to make up for it most of the time.

15. BonziWellsGOAT

#ShotsFired

#BeWellTrugoy

1 person likes this.
  16. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

His legs are probably dead from all the minutes and running around he does. Does he still lead the league in distance traveled ?

17. yummyhawtsauce

KD can kill anyone. but CP i thought took a bit too many forced shots yesterday. as I said - you can't really force shots in the paint vs the defense of OKC esp with ibaka lol.

responding to honeybager - Lin is a better playmaker but unfortunately, the people he passes to never makes the bucket, prime example is asik who missed 2 at the rim shots from lin's pass...i like asik alot but he needs to somehow work on that

18. quatin

quatin Member

Parsons is over used. If you guys are going to give Harden slack for playing 40+ minutes a game, you have to give Parsons slack, because he plays just as much. I don't understand why Hamilton/Casspi/Garcia can't get more time at the 3 spot. Parsons isn't going every game either, it wouldn't hurt to pull him in the games where he's been bad.

19. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Member

Easiest solution is to cut back his minutes so he does not have to conserve energy on D. He is simply playing too much IMO. Give Garcia some minutes to get him in playoff shape.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

KD's arm swing hook move while preparing to draw the foul is worst than any type of baiting Harden gets away with. He did to Parsons in the Playoffs as well.