1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release Owen Daniels

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 11, 2014.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Then WHOSE? :confused:

Injuries, in my opinion, are at fault... unfortunately. :eek:

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Indeed he was.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

"Putting on my flame r****dant vest"

I think offering a small free agent deal to Tim Tebow to play tight end is audacious but would make sense on some levels.

"Ducks head, to avoid initial shots"

He's the right size and has enough speed for the position and is a hard nosed guy who really wants to contribute to a football team. Plus...

"..begins jogging in opposite direction"

In case of emergency... well you know.

1 person likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Houston Texans have released Owen Daniels and
    Brice McCain.</p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/statuses/443467105959043072">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Yes @ McCain being gone. Sad about Owen, but in a nostalgic way. He was seriously elite before he got injured a few years back. Gotta love those Wisconsin tight-ends from the Kubiak era; they were always good for a 12 yard reception.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think OD was ever an "elite" player. He was a lot like Matt Schaub in my mind. Very good at his position, but he was never a game breaker. Was always statistically in the top X of the league, but there was never going to be an argument that you wouldn't trade him in a heartbeat for any of the guys above him.

1 person likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He was a poor man's Dallas Clark/Jason Witten.

If he could have ever stayed healthy, he was top 5 material.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He was one of my favorite Texans. Best of luck to OD. Cap casualty....sucks.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Interesting: Owen Daniels was cut with a failed physical designation. He said he was totally healthy on Monday.</p>&mdash; Dave Zangaro (@DZangaro) <a href="https://twitter.com/DZangaro/statuses/443494285695283200">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Except Owen was a high quality player.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

later owen... you were very meh.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

We'd OD'd on OD.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

The fact that he's the ONLY significant player to be cut shows the Texans are reloading rather than rebuilding. I think this basically allows the team to sign mediocre FAs and their own rookies.

Makes me think we're either trading for a QB or believe Bridgewater is day 1 starter.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it's not like there were that many more realistic cuts they could have made.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wouldn't the most obvious one be Matt Schaub? It's clear they're waiting for June to cut him. Which means he'll count $3mil this season and $7mil next year.

Why in the world are the Texans creating capspace this year at the expense of next? The only explanation is that they want to sign more players to help this season even if it hurts us in two years. Why would they do that? Because they obviously want to win NOW.

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'll miss you saving Schaub's ass when he threw at your shoes. Best of luck, Snake Dick.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does this designation make a financial impact to the Texans and/or OD?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe not, they've been trying to sign a vet QB, probably because they aren't comfortable with letting a rookie start next year. If the Texans strike out on all of them, there's a chance they keep Schaub. Now I know that's not what anyone wants to hear, but it's possible. I think they are waiting till they sign someone to cut him. They can still use whatever designation they want.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm really unphased by this completely. I really wont miss him. Solid, dependable player though. I'm ready for something different.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm actually more interested what it means for our chances at compensatory picks next year. Perhaps the injury designation changes things...

I'm a little concerned about this move. TE wasn't a need (we were 4-deep w/ OD) but now it sure as he'll is. I wanted to create additional cap-space, but I thought Schaub would be the cut, since QB is a need either way.