1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Feb 20, 2014.

1. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

It's not just that we don't want to fight - we don't have to. There's no immediate threat to our national security, so we can play the long game. We can impose sanctions, freeze overseas accounts of Russian officials, persuade or pay buyers to cancel big orders with Russian firms. Most power brokers in Russia are businessmen, and we can make this little adventure extremely expensive.

I'm not an expert on Ukrainian politics, but I find it extremely unlikely that the Ukrainians, even those with Russian sympathies, are going to consent to the dismemberment of their country. The Russians are going to have to occupy the territory and hold it by force, and that will be expensive and unpopular. They could well find themselves facing a long-term insurgency, and that's not something any country would relish.

The bottom line is that the US and the EU do not want to see the Russian occupation succeed. We've got a lot more people, a lot more money, a lot more leverage, and a lot more friends and allies in the world. We can put the squeeze on them without fighting.

1 person likes this.
  2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

C'mon, bruh. RT takes the propaganda to an entirely different level. Its really not even close.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

You wanna count the number of lies between RT and Fox to see who's worse ?

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

When are cnn, msnbc, and fox news are state runned?

5. dback816

dback816 Member

Between money and politics, which is more corrupt ?

6. downbytheriver

Hope im doing this right -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PPam_aAWnJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds a bit extreme but makes you see why the EU will have to issue a stronger response than the US.

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

You're spouting these accusations. Back 'em up yourself. I'll be waiting for your results. :cool:

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Say what you want about Fox News, but at least they don't have honest to God troofers and Freemason conspiracy nutjobs.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Damn man, Crimea River? That was so hilarious last week, the first thousand times it was posted.

There is not a segment on FUAX that is not scripted for emotional effect. It is 100% infotaiment for outrage junkies.

Pfffft. amateurs.
    Did Russian television 'use actress to portray FIVE different women' as it reported normal Ukrainians backed Kremlin
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eported-normal-Ukrainians-backed-Kremlin.html

Speaking of outrage junkies, Putin is doing what he absolutely has to for his country's security. He needs the Crimea and he desperately wants a non-NATO, Russian friendly (if not puppet) Ukraine on his border. No sanctioned shots have been fired yet. This is high stakes geopolitics playing out in the modern world, but it's not WWIII.

I was kinda getting mad at the the usual insane rantings of the Right Wing geezers but then I figured out that they were actually lending power to The President. The were playing bad cop to Obama's good cop retaining a credible threat of greater response. You always want to maintain the idea that the people that run the world's largest military could be crazier than the people with the smaller armies. It keeps them thinking cautiously about their own survival.

#390 Dubious, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

from what I understand.. Putin already had the troops there to "protect" crimea with an agreement with the duma. Which explains how the "mysterious" troops just popped up at all the key infrastructures. The troops weren't marked and did not speak to the locals. This was probably a play by Putin to throw off western media and buy some time. It worked because msm was totally confused on who these troops were.

Eastern Ukraine is supposedly run by ultra nationalists neo nazis. So EU wants em, US wants them, the nazi's want them and Russia wants them back. Russia's interest is probably not to let EU, US, or Nazi's get control. So yeah it's a little complicated and we should stay far away.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Lies? Who needs lies?

Definitive.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HOvY-MesvNg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like to think Fox News would never do something like that.

But they have.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1eF6vCv13bw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What does our foreign policy have to do a territorial dispute within Russia?

14. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

They tout whatever line the government tells them to. I can't help it if you're paying attention.

It's called a distinction without a difference.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

So you're telling me two diametrically opposed stations (Fox and MSNBC) are just playing the government line.

One says Obamacare is ruining America and the other is saying that its the best things sliced bread yet they're puppets of the US government?

16. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Because Obama good or evil it doesn't matter dude. It's just local politics.

On foreign affairs they're pretty much all united. They set the terms of debate and ignore anything outside them.

17. dback816

dback816 Member

I'll be waiting for yours, considering your nonsensical "RT takes it to a different level" gibberish.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Great video for the uninformed...He did a great job explaining Ukraines history well..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A2nklduvThs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, I suggest that you consider an enema. You're so full of **** that you have to be about to explode, and if you do delay action and explode, god forbid, please search out the ghosts of Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley, or David Brinkley. I don't doubt that they could use a laugh, and your take on American news would have them rolling in the aisles in Heaven, if such a place exists.