1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say Goodbye to Jordan Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2014.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will give CH credit for being the FIRST, in an attention seeking way.

Well done.

DD

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That or some homo reference.

3. benvolio

benvolio Member

Brooks was on a 1 year contract and JHam was in his last year. Even swap. Brooks was for this year, and now, so is JHam. Was a great move to swap what we had in excess for a need.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I will give DD credit for being the FIRST, in an attention seeking way, to give CH credit.

We done.

HP

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Is it possible that Morey works out a sign and trade deal for Hamilton if things go well this year? I think Jordan has shown to be a very valuable player off the bench. I have a feeling he will be very important come playoff time, as he will be an upgrade over Delfino.

7. cebu

cebu Member

Terrible thread title. You must be a troll here.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Jordan Hill was mentioned as an example for this CBA rule but it never became a problem as the Lakers were able to re-sign him. Has there ever been a situation where a team was actually a victim to this rule? Were they incapable of retaining a player they acquired from a different team which declined the rookie scale team option?

If not, I would imagine this is one of those situations where the league would be willing to make an exception. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it never becomes an issue as the Rockets look to maintain cap space for a max free agent next summer.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kudos. I just kept coming across folks discussing Jordan Hamilton being on the team beyond this season in various threads and thought that his contract status should be clarified.

Jordan Hill was an 8th overall pick, so his scaled contract amounts are significantly higher. The limit of what the Lakers could offer him was $3.66M. For Hamilton, a 26th overall pick the salary offer limit is only $2.1M. This gives the team much less room to work with.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hamilton is a role player and role players a dime a dozen. Morey will find a way to replace him

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

That's not the question

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5IhLJa7lYOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Carl Herrera

The Rockets are not the victim of anything. They knew Hamilton's contract status coming in and his contract status may even have factor into Denver's willingness to trade him for Aaron Brooks.

NBA teams don't actually trade for players, they trade for another team's specific rights under each a player's contract. Denver didn't have the right to offer Hamilton more than $2.1M, and the Rockets couldn't have acquired a right that Denver didn't have. The Rockets, with their very knowledgable front office, didn't get surprised by this and they don't deserve any compensation.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Amazing thread.

15. alethios

alethios Member

But what about the year after? Who's to say he won't swallow his pride for a year to be on a great team with chemistry and a realistic chance at championship contention for the next few years?

16. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

If he wants a ring, he stays. If he wanna stay on a scrub team with more money. Then so be it.

17. Carl Herrera

He could. But this team is not the only good team with good chemistry in the NBA-- and frankly, it is not even in the very top tier of title contenders with Miami, Indy, OKC and maybe San Antinio. It's not like only the Milwaukee Bucks and Cleveland Cavs of the world can offer him significantly more money.

And for someone who hasn't made any real money in the NBA, it's unwise for him to take a pay cut and bank on getting a raise after a year (or more). Too many risks. He might get injured. He might lose his spot in the rotation to some new guy that Morey finds. He might even get traded into a crappy situation after taking a discount to sign with Houston.

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Over here we were so damn happy to see him get the start since parsons was down.

What a relief ! We were freaking out that somebody else would start.

Thanks Morey ! Thanks coach !

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

"Son, you CAN be a Starfighter, if that's what you really want "

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A question I have, and just to be devil's advocate:

IF Hamilton shows himself highly capable....maybe not a CP25, but very capable...would a Hamilton/Casspi/Harden (or a Papanikolau if we can bring him) rotation be okay at the three, and Parsons (if he wants, say, $12,000,000 a year) would become bait for us to upgrade at the 1 and/or 4?

Seems like the West rapes the Rox at the 4 and 1 and not so much at the 3.

Of course, if we reached the finals, then the East has elite 3's....Bron, George, even Melo, except his team sucks and will continue to do so.

I used to think Parsons won't go anywhere, and I would prefer we keep him, and I'm not going to say we can completely replace what he brings with a Hamilton and a Papanikolau, but our PG and PF situation is so hot-and-cold (in a WC where it mostly runs hot) that it makes me wonder.