1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will the Texans drop or cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by body slam, Mar 1, 2014.

1. body slam

body slam Member

Who will they get rid of and who should they get rid of?

I would assume Schaub is on the list.

2. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Most likely
    -Owen Daniels
    -Matt Schaub

Maybe
    -J Jo
    -Manning
    -Newton

At a minimum I think they will try to get a pay cut out of Joesph's contract. Would expect Rick Smith to try to get Schaub to do the same similar to what Eagles did with Vick this year to try and make a trade possible. Things are about to get interesting...

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Matt "Statue"
    OD
    Manning
    Myers (maybe)
    Keo (please do)
    McCain

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think Schaub and OD will be the only two cut, but the bigger changes will be that they will let several FA's walk.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I thinks manning stays. They have no replacement and he is still serviceable

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, it would be pretty reckless because they can't upgrade the position without spending a lot more than they'd save by cutting him.

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Schaub
    Daniels

Possible

Manning
    Joseph
    McCain

I did all these on the salary cap calculator and it would give the Texans 25million in cap space. I don't think they will do it and I really wish they would because if we are going to suck we need to get this cap in order sooner rather than later.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Other than Daniels and Schaub I say they all stay.

Small chance Newton gets cut this year, but I think the real blood bath will be 2015... lot of money coming due on guys that are getting older and/or may not be a fit for BOB.

2015 cuts:

Joseph, Myers, McCain, Foster (maybe)

2015 walk-aways:

Manning, Yates, Keo, Newton, Keenum

#8 DonnyMost, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Schaub
    OD
    Keo

Please for the love of God Newton!

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Manning Schaub Newton; frees up $9.3 mil. OD gets you an extra $4.5 mil.

Personally, I wouldn't mind taking that roughly $14 mil dividing it in two, and filling two positional needs with top tier payers.

Or

Using the money to extend jjWatt.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Newton should be the first to go.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think the first set of cuts will be financial. Thus, Schaub and Owens (who is both expensive and injury prone) are the locks to be cut.

Newton will get cut latter , when he effectively gets replaced either via the draft or FA. I do not see Newton on the roster when camp starts.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Newton is a curious case. Quessenberry and Williams are basically still rookies (they only each have a training camp under their belt, Williams didn't even get get through training camp, IIRC). I can't see either one of them starting the season for us.

Signing an FA seems like it would be a waste of resources, because the guys currently on the market that are appreciably better than Newton are going to want longer term deals with significant money (Albert, Monroe, Oher, Giacomini, etc). We shouldn't be spending money on RT when we have two talented draft picks ready to take over the spot either halfway through this year or the next.

Don't get me wrong, Newton sucks ballz. But we're in a tough spot where I think letting the crappy players play out their contracts and replacing them with draftees is better for us than reaching for stop-gaps.

14. Remii

Remii Member

I think O.D. will definitely be cut and Ninja and Graham won't be resigned. Manning and J-Jo could be cut if they don't restructure their contracts.

A couple of the guys on the offensive line could be cut... Like Newton.

Schaub, Case, and Yates could all be cut.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Going out and spending money on a right tackle would be the smart thing to do. Can't depend on two guys who are basically rookies and Newton. The offensive line is the most important unit on the team. The Texans shouldn't be cheap there.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Flushing two valuable draft picks down the toilet to spend money on a veteran when you've got bills coming due on Kareem and Watt is not smart. See what you have in Williams and Q'Berry first, then go spend if you have to, but not before those two important FAs are resigned.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

2-14, no one should be safe. especially the injury prone.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Who says those two guys are valuable draft picks...??? How valuable was Montgomery and other mid round picks the Kubiak lead Texans have made. Bringing a veteran offensive lineman in allows those two youngsters to groom in the rotation.

And what makes you think they are going to keep Kareem. He's not that important.

19. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Wouldn't mind seeing Schaubnado, OD, Manning, JJo, Keo, Harris, Newton all gone.

Antonio, Tate, and Mitchell will all probably sign elsewhere.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen multiple people talk about cutting Keo.....why? It saves literally no money and Keo is solid depth if nothing else.

Derek Newton is a goner though, he only has 15k worth of dead money and he's totally worthless.

Also I've heard people talk about cutting "Harris", the only Harris that can be cut is Brandon Harris, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense because he's a young up and coming DB who is signed for cheap. I think we give him one more year to show something.

As for Manning, you save what? 4.5 mil by cutting him? That won't even pay for his replacement.